Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammantha_hunt63

HELP! Monstera Adansonii

Sammantha Hunt
6 years ago

Recently purchased this little guy from someone about a week ago. Some yellowing on the edges when I got it. Noticed a few days later the yellowing is getting worse and now there’s brown spots, even the new growth has tiny brown specks. Any idea what I should do or what’s going on??

Comments (16)

• Raymond Dziezynski
    6 years ago

I would venture that the plant is under considerable nutritional stress. It doesn't look all that thrifty/healthy to begin with sorry to say.

Sammantha Hunt thanked Raymond Dziezynski
  • Ekor Tupai
    6 years ago

Seem it was abandoned. Poor root, long internodes because too few light. Every nodes of this plant have capability to grow root. Try plant all in soil.

• Sammantha Hunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have any recommendations?

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

it might be bacterial or fungal. i'd give it a spray with neem AND anti-fungal.

and then i'd cut off that leaf in the 1st pic - it's very suspicious looking, especially if it's spreading.

these are hungry feeders - so fertilize it with whatever you've got , may be at half doze to start. then 2 weeks another feed.

they tend to be very leggy unless in very bright light with some weak sun early/late.

if you tent it in plastic it'll produce aerial roots on that long tendril and you can then cut it and put in soil. and later combine them together.

BUT! i wouldn't tent it unless you first spray with anti-fungal, 'cause moist conditions will make the infection spread faster.

Sammantha Hunt thanked petrushka (7b)
  • Sammantha Hunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!!! What anti fungal do you use? I normally grab the garden safe fungicide 3. Would that with neem work?

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

whatever anti-fungal you feel you can use indoors , since it's an indoor plant.

i'd do anti-fungal first, let it dry over night. then next day or 2 spray with neem.

normally it's good to rinse /spray with plain water after neem, to avoid any build up on the surface. i usually spray with neem, wait for 30 min and then spray with plain water to rinse.

neem also acts as leaf shine, so if you spray repeatedly it can build up on leaves overtime.

Sammantha Hunt thanked petrushka (7b)
  • tropicbreezent
    6 years ago

These plants grow as epiphytes (or more correctly semi-epiphytes) and don't need much fertiliser. The problem looks to be more like soil too heavy and water retentive, or maybe if you're using town water there might be too many chemicals in it.

Sammantha Hunt thanked tropicbreezent
  • Sammantha Hunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is one tiny root popping out of the drainage hole but I’d hate to repot when it’s already struggling, do you think the soil it’s in is fine? It also has a little baby or two popping up (hoping/assuming that’s whats popping up) so I’d hate to disturb the little ones

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

the pot size is fine for now, the roots coming out at the bottom also normal.

it's not a good idea to repot right away - wait a few months and see how it's growing.

'the baby' - you mean you see a new branch coming out at the base?

• Sammantha Hunt
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No new branches just little tiny leaves growing in the soil, not sure what they are

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

very hard to see, but i don't think it's monstera, 'cause the growing tip is sharp , not like what you have.

• gemmom29
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It’s certainly a Monstera Adansonii. Same family as the delicious, just native in 2 completely different regions. But I’m curious as to what happened? I’m dealing with the same exact same problem

• HU-253466943
    4 years ago

I’m having issues with mine as well! Contacted the company because this is how it delivered but is there a way to recover this at all?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago

The plant in the original post has been over-watered and perhaps over-fertilized or suffering from a high level of salts in the soil from tapwater or fertilizer solutions - same with the plant in the first image upthread. Some growers think because in situ plants are often found growing in riparian settings (streamside), they prefer or enjoy overly water-retentive media. The plant can adapt to inundation by restructuring its root structure (to deal with either terrestrial of bog settings), but it's unable to deal well with transitioning back and forth between conventional container culture and some form of hydroculture.

As long as a plant hasn't contracted one of the damping off fungal (root) infections, recovery depends primarily on the cultural conditions it's asked to deal with. If those conditions are near or beyond the limits it's genetically programmed to deal with, the plant will do poorly. If cultural conditions are all 'in the sweet spot' it should reward the grower with good growth and the vibrancy that comes with a high state of vitality. A fast draining medium you can keep evenly moist (not soggy or saturated), room for roots to grow, an appropriate nutritional supplementation program, plenty of warmth and bright light are all conditions for which your plant will show its approval.

Al

• ssabbarese@gmail.com
    7 months ago

I also have an adonsonii, and while I use neem on most of my plants, I have had the same exact thing happen every single time I try to use it on this particular plant. Otherwise, it's a perfectly happy and luscious plant. I don't know the science, but my own anecdotal evidence definitely suggests that these plants hate neem. Do your best to clean off any that remains on the leaves, give it a good water with distilled H20, and you might need to break off any affected and yellow/browning leaves, unfortunately. Hope this helps!!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County