Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35928756

Problem with shiplap look fireplace

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The top of our double sided fireplace was supposed to be a shiplap look, (the bottom will be stone). The fireplace will be the focal point of our home. We are concerned that there are no spaces in between each wood panel.Our vision was a shiplap look painted in SW Alabaster. Any recommendations of how to fix this? We meet with our builder tomorrow. Thank you!

Comments (15)

• User
    5 years ago

Take it down and redo it.

Did they nail the boards to the studs?

User thanked User
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

candace, what did you ask them to do? shiplap? is anything written down, what there any expectation of what it was to look like? do they know what shiplap is? language barrier?

if you want it to wrap around the frame it would have to be done like this:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I posted about 6 pictures. I have no idea what you showed them you wanted. did you show them a pic of anything? contractors and their guys aren't designers.

If you're doing a solid wood mantel then no, you don't need that bottom strip.

as for them not fixing it, if you specified shiplap, that's not it. have them remove it. if not, don't pay them.

show them exactly what you want so they know what to do

User thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    5 years ago

Shiplap doesnt have to be t-in-g but thats how you would do it if you didnt have a sheetrock base. If it is over sheetrock, use nickel spacers.

User thanked User
  • Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    So sorry! When I think shiplap that is also not what I would expect. I would argue it to get what you want, you won’t be happy unless you do. And modern shiplap sounds like some BS cop out if you ask me. Do any search of that you’ll still get the vertical lines you are thinking of, not just straight ply. I must say everything else looks like it’ll be beautiful though!
    User thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I assumed he knew what I meant. I think I showed him this picture at some point, but I’m not certain.

this is the problem and you messed up. again, contractors/ builder men, not designers. you may have to fall on your sword for this one if you want it fixed.

he's right, you don't need actual t and g,,,but he should have cut the boards and spaced them (a nickel, a 16-penny-nail, whatever). the whole point of ship lap is the overlap/spacing. Is there a space between his wood?? I can't tell from pic. If not, then no,,,it's not even close.

what I would do is talk to him as nicely as you can, tell him there's been a mistake, show him all these pics I've posted, and explain that this is what you thought you were getting.

Painting it Alabaster (which is a very creamy yellow white) will just look like a solid piece of painted wood. (it must be painted w/a primer first) no, that's not stainable wood. it's plywood. will look like crap if you stained it.

how about some nice trim molding or wainscot over it? (this one is huge, but you get the idea)

these stiles can be put on top of the plywood piece. you would adjust the sizing for you fireplace.

or, go dramatic and paint it black

or have a sit down with him, tell him you're sorry, you messed up, could he fix it like you want? have brownies on hand while you sing your mea culpas.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Oh, that can come off. Don't let him tell you it can't. And make him go put nickel gapon that, if that was what you wanted. The whole frame needs to come off, too, if that's they look you're going for. (It isn't that hard to pull that stuff off. I'm sure it went on with a pneumatic nail gun, not screws.) Clarify NOW what sort of mantle he intends to put on there. Talk to the trim carpenter yourself, if need be.

What is the other side supposed to look like? If the nickel gap goes around the sides, but doesn't continue to the other side, it will need some sort of finish, there. Find out what they'll do with THAT, once they tear off that framing.

User thanked Holly Stockley
  • doc5md
    5 years ago

I'm wondering if that is plywood that they intend to use as a backer for the shiplap. Thus, the face of the shiplap would be flush with that of the trim molding like several of the inspiration pics.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...no spaces in between each wood panel..."

This doesn't make sense, since with shiplap paneling there are no "panels", only individual pieces of shiplap siding.

As someone said, this a sheet of plywood. Looks like it's the backing for installing and nailing the shiplap so as to align with the trim pieces on top, side and bottom.

Talk to your finish carpenter.

Everything is going to be fine...

• PRO
    Springtime Builders
    5 years ago

Where I come from plywood is made of veneer plys, not boards. I bet it is ship lap, just not nickel gap. Specification issue.

I would "fix" this fireplace by tearing out the entire thing. A dirty, wasteful symbol that compromises the home as a system and exposes the inhabitants to unneeded risks.

• ksc36
    5 years ago

I doubt that's a fireplace, just a gas replica. Whenever I installed real shiplap it was vertical and we toe nailed it tight. Once it expands and contracts a few times gaps start to form. If it's plywood (doubt it, looks like 1x SYP installed tight) you can take a sharpie and get your fake lines.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Oh darn they didn't use spacers in between the boards. I would make them take it down and redo it. If they refuse I have seen people use a router on flat boards to give it the look of a tongue and groove or space. It won't be exactly what you want but may be one option if they won't make it right for you.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Yep, closer inspection suggests individual pieces of lumber, or some artificial material, which is installed flush and tight fit. And the grain pattern is atrocious--looks like flat sawn plywood skins, and will most likely show through a paint finish. Pretty ghastly!

• midcenturymodernlove
    5 years ago

I would just have the stone run to the top. Shiplap will be a really dated Joanna Gaines look in 10 minutes.