Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliekatzman

Issue with windows off-center under ridge on garage/studio

lesliekatzman
6 years ago

I just found this issue in our drawings and we are starting to frame upstairs. The architect drew our windows centered on the front facade of our garage. However, when I was dimensioning the plan, I noticed the windows weren't centered because the garage is actually wider in the front than the back. Obviously the windows need to be centered on the front facade- but when I center them on the outside- they are off center inside and are not longer centered under the proposed vault/ridge. In addition, there is an identical set of windows opposite these on the other wall- which are were also centered under the ridge. The window are about 1' foot off center- it is ridiculously bad. Any thoughts?? The front elevation has to be centered so how do I deal with the inside not being aligned.

Here is a photo of the front elevation (which was drawn incorrectly by the architect)

Here is a photo of the plan and the dimensions show the issue (note the opposite window and the ridgeline.

Comments (22)

• smitrovich
    6 years ago

Can you mark up the drawing to show us what the issue is? Can't tell from what you have posted.

lesliekatzman thanked smitrovich
  • lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure- sorry about that. The garage is at a diagonal with the upper studio smaller than the garage below- so there are overhangs and it's complicated. I might have to mock-it up in sketchup and repost. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on - but something is definitely wrong and it appears to be a major problem.

• smitrovich
    6 years ago

Sounds like major changes have been made to the plans, but they never supplied you with updated drawings?

lesliekatzman thanked smitrovich
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Why are you not pursuing this with your architect?

lesliekatzman thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nothing was updated for a long time- but I am sure this happened somewhere along the way. We've had many issues and I'm not going to continually ask my architect to fix them because I am charged and they made these mistakes to begin with. It is in our building permit and the main problem is - the foundation has already been poured below. I know they were trying to resolve the funny angle between the garage and the laundry/breezeway. But by doing this (adding that perpendicular wall) to return to the breezeway - they made the front of the garage wider on 'that' side. You can see the red line was probably the original rectangular shape of the garage. I have to mock this up in 3D but the only solution I see is to have the 'return wall' in that closet, return earlier - along the red line. Then the garage is equal in the front and the back. But again, the foundation has been poured below and this extra funny shape is already set in stone on the 1st floor. Very hard to explain.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I figured it out and it needs to stay put. In 3D, it doesn't look as bad as it does on the plan. The windows are not on center with the overall exterior facade but because of the angled return- it's not that noticeable.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This shows the architects exterior wall returning to the breezeway and eliminating the angle. The wall to the right side of the window is wider than the wall to the left.
    Here is a different scenario, if the architect had not returned the wall to the breezeway and kept the angle- the garage would have been symmetrical.

I'm not saying it was wrong to return the garage to the breezeway and eliminate that angle but I don't think anyone thought about this issue until now- so the different widths were a bit surprising.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shoot- I'm looking at it more and it looks really odd but I don't know how to fix it. Darn!

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I think the roofs will also be a problem.

You could offset the corner of the upper floor making the widths the same, but then you need to roof the small space on the right.

I'm still a bit confused about what has been built and what was drawn.

• lyfia
    6 years ago

Center the windows on the ridge line

• A Fox
    6 years ago

I think the correct answer is to keep the window centered on the ridge line, which if I am understanding it correctly will keep it centered over the garage doors and with the matching window on the back. The bigger question is what sort of odd geometry will the roof and eaves get into on that right return wall. For that PPF has a pretty good fix.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    PPF- great comment and mock up - thank you! If the upper floor wasn’t recessed back by 2 feet - it wouldn’t have been a problem. It’s this offset as well as the perpendicular return walls combined that create the issue.

I don’t think I can push the top floor forward to align with the lower floor. I did move the return wall on the upper floor to the left so the widths are equal in either side of the window. Yes- the roof in this area looks like a complicated nightmare. I think we need to get it as visually centered over the ridge as possible / and deal with the little section as a separate piece- like you did. Thank you for your help- I’m so happy I found this issue before the second floor was framed (they are working on the beams between the floor right now). I need to run this by the contractor and make sure there are no structural issues. Thank you! I’ll post any further process.
  • lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That is a much better design- but this is what we have now. Very unfortunate that the crew worked in the garage right as I was discovering this issue. I can feel the asymmetry just standing in front of the garage. So frustrating!
  • ackcx3
    6 years ago
    “We've had many issues and I'm not going to continually ask my architect to fix them because I am charged and they made these mistakes to begin with.”

— If the architect made the mistake, why in dadgum Sam Hill would you not question him/her?

—It’s very possible, nay, probable, that I’m not understanding. You want symmetry from inside the garage? I can’t imagine being bothered by that.
    lesliekatzman thanked ackcx3
  • lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Actually, I'm not as worried about the windows being off center from the inside- I think they need to stay under the ridge and it will be fine. There is a closet and bathroom in the large studio space so I don't think you'll notice. It's the outside that is really unfortunate an it's a bit late to fix but I'll try with the contractor tomorrow. Architect is completely utterly useless. PPF came up with a fine solution that should have been implemented from the get-go. I won't even mention the exterior door next to this area that only has space for 2" of casing.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These are terrible graphics but creating an offset on the return to the laundry/breezeway (see photo one) makes the garage symmetrical with the exception of the lower roof return to the breezeway (roof added in photo two). Any comments on this? I really not very visual when it comes to roofing odd areas. Maybe this looks worse.....

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If any of you experts are still reading this- I just spoke with the contractor and he can knock down the foundation wall that returns at a perpendicular angle to the house. The garage and studio would then be a rectangle that bisects the breezeway cleanly at an angle. We could remove the roof return to the breezeway so it would be more like PPFs sketch without the green piece of wall. A bit of work but seems to solve many issues including a crammed exterior door in that location. The angular exterior space outside would return- but that seems less offensive then an asymmetrical garage. I lose some closet space on both floors but nothing major.

Any thoughts on this?

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Sounds like a plan. I was going to suggest this after looking at the pictures, but often changes like this call for bringing an engineer in and possibly resubmitting the plans.

lesliekatzman thanked PPF.
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Is that wood framing hanging over the block?

lesliekatzman thanked cpartist
  • lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes- I think there is framing that needs to be removed. My contractor is wonderful and he didn't see any issues with removing the whole triangle piece including hte concrete even though it will be some effort. I think the floor upstairs which was also being laid will need to be cut back. So funny that they started working right in this area just when I discovered the discrepancy.

• lesliekatzman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I showed my contractor your graphics PPF- and he was really impressed that you would take the time to do that for me! Thank you.