Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurensing

Hardwood flooring color choice for modern condo

laurensing
5 years ago

Hello! I am replacing the hardwood flooring in my modern condo and need some help choosing a color. The unit faces south and gets a good amount of light, but I'm afraid a darker color may make it feel too dark. The original flooring (10 years old) is light and has definitely faded over the years, and the original planks are about half the width of what the new ones will be. We will be repainting as well, most likely Repose Gray or a cream color. Another big consideration is the ceilings, they are raw concrete (shown in last photo, have some brown in them). No changes planned for the cabinets or counters.

In the attached photos, I marked my top two favorites with 1 (Salida) and 2 (Boulder); my only concern with 2 is that it may be too trendy a color for resale consideration, and that it may match the concrete ceiling too much; but perhaps with a light wall color to break it up, it could look great? Open to all suggestions, thanks in advance! :-)

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

Have you considered a Natural finish over White Oak? Use a Select or high grade since its a modern decor.

• Helen
    5 years ago

I would opt for 1 but that's because I am not a fan of the gray wood trend. I think natural stained like 1 are more timeless.

I am doing a gut remodel of my condo in a high rise and I am replacing the oak floors with oak floors in a natural finish. Pretty much what I had before. I have a lot of light as well but I liked the light finish as an innocuous background for everything else - I am opting for color in the furniture and also have a lot of medium stained white oak cabinetry in the kitchen, office/den and dining area - all open concept space.

I also like white oak - might have gone with that but it read brown and I liked the contrast of the light oak with the rest of the wood I am using.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

I would not do anything hand scraped in a contemporary unit. The medium color you have chosen is fine.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    5 years ago

Black Walnut, White Oak, and Maple are the 3 species I see in Modern homes most of the time.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I'd go with natural white oak, i.e. Scandinavian look.

• Claire Pope
    5 years ago

Black walnut

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I think what you have looks very nice. Repose Gray is a very "cool" color and a warmer floor looks good with it.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I'd actually use a creamy white or depending on your light, BM Simply White.

Info on Repose Gray: https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/all-about-sherwin-williams-repose-gray/

• laurensing
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks for all of these great comments! I'm leaning towards #1 in the first pic; not too dark and not too light, and matches pretty well with my cabinets. I have Repose Gray at 75% in another property and I love it; will definitely do swatches of that and a creamy white.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, please don't do a distressed finish in a contemporary condo...

What you have is nice. Why don't you just have it refinished? It might be better quality than what you want to replace it with. Plus, save a tree :)

• laurensing
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I found a photo of another unit in my building that did distressed floors, and definitely do not like that look here.

I think white oak or European oak would be great options, any concerns with it being lighter than the cabinet color? (unfortunately refinishing is not an option, I wish I could)

• Helen
    5 years ago

I would think you would want contrast with your cabinets.

My cabinets are darker than the wood I chose - cabinets are white oak stained medium and flooring will be natural red oak. Liked the white oak but thought natural would create too many "brown" tones overall.

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

I think lighter than your cabinets would be great. Plus, it hides dirt and dust a lot better than dark floors (which i consider a plus, others might not.)

• User
    5 years ago

Personally I would do bamboo...as light as possible.

• laurensing
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I’m back with more samples! Smooth finish, and I’ve labeled my top 3. They said the Euro Oak will have a lot of black grain in it , which I don’t want, and white oak was too pricey. 1st 2 pics (Tidewater Oak) are an option I’m iffy about

• Sisira R
    4 years ago

is this the realm lol

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Yep...those are super light. I'm always leery of natural maple. Maple is photosensitive which means it turns from a soft pale wood to a strong 'yellow' in the presence of UV lighting (which is every type of light we have). Even with a water based finish, maple turns yellow. It is the biggest drawback (in my eyes) that maple has.

It is interesting that hickory is shown as a simple pale wood. Hickory is known for all of it's movement (colour changes). It can range from 'maple white' to walnut brown. It has 5-7 different wood tones in it and it is considered 'normal'. The only way around this is if it is the HIGHEST GRADE hickory on the market. Anything else and you are guaranteed to have plenty of colour in your floor...and there is nothing you can do about it. It is normal and completely natural for hickory.

• mmilos
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maple will have less grain compared to hickory.

Light natural maple flooring seems very '80s, but it is contemporary.

Can your existing hardwood floors be refinished?