Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdonkersgoed

Small Hall Closet -- What door would look best?

Bryan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Everyone!

As part of a bathroom reno, I'll be adding a small hall closet on a wall that is only 28" wide. The issue is that this small wall is already between two doors:

What kind of closet door could I put in here so that the space doesn't appeared dominated by doors?
Here are a couple of MS Paint modifications of what it might look like with a standard white door and a mirror door. Could a mirror work here (since it would also be practical to have right outside of the bathroom)? Or is there something else I could consider? Please note that the carpet is going to be replaced with dark hardwood and the railings will be stained to match with iron balusters.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

A mirror door would be practical and really be the only thing that breaks up the doors.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    5 years ago

It could be bi fold, but that is busy. It could be open with a curtain but that can look cheap.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

No. Too small!! and total kludge mess of doors.. . Can't you access from inside the bath or whatever is on the other side? What are the doors next to it leading to? bedroom? Bath? What?

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Unfortunately there will be an ensuite shower behind it, and mechanical runs to the sides — it can only be accessed from the area indicated in the photo :(

Maybe I could make it look like a hanging 15” full-length mirror rather than a full door that extends to the floor? I could just make a frame with a hinged mirror — kind of a concealed closet. Any thoughts on that? Seems like my best option so far.

I’d really like to access that space for a linen closet (since there is no other linen closet upstairs). Hope to make this work somehow :) I’ve been working with floorplans to date and didn’t realize until today how many doors would be in that corner :S

Thanks!
  • schnable1
    5 years ago
    I would say go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate storage within the bath room. If you share the bath plans, there are many talented professionals here who could make recommendations.
    Why do I say this? Looking at your first photo I see electrical outlets and sometning else partially hidden by the stair railing .
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Can’t imagine you would gain enough space to warrant the expense and the confusion created by this project...there is no way it will look right with any kind of door there...
  • sandye12
    5 years ago
    If that was my ONLY option I would number 1 just use the same door so it all just blends. 2 The bi fold door of the same style door. I personally think a mirror would jump out to much.
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

How deep is the space? if it is to store linen, could you possibly make it into shelving unit, something like this ... using solid or glass fronts?

Or else I like your hinged mirror idea - hanging it like a full-length mirror rather than a full door.

• Bryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Here are a couple of pics looks at the closet cavity from the other sides. There’s a cold air return in the master bedroom preventing me from using that wall, and there’s a vanity/shower behind the other wall. The entry to the closet has to be from the hallway (and that’s more practical for a linen closet for me).

Based on the pics people have posted, I think I’m just going to install a narrow closet door such that there’s 4” of wall space to the left and right of the door. This will allow even more space than the pics people have posted and while it’s not ideal, I think it should be sufficient :-)
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

A cold air return can often be moved. Either way.............it is not going to look good where you are placing it. If you MUST have storage in that spot?

Recess a drawer base only, 36 inches high, 18 wide/flush. Paint it black, and hang art or a mirror over it. Anything !!! anything : ) is better than yet another door. .