Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnprek

Hardwood floor transition

lynnprek
5 years ago
We began a first floor remodel today. Already our first dilemma! We will be removing the tile floor in the entry way and kitchen, replacing it with hardwood to flow from LR, DR and FR. Contractor realized the planks do not line up across the entry way. They are about 1/2 off. Any suggestions? Will be have to do a transition board between rooms? Would you do so on all rooms or just at two small doorways and let it flow from large LR opening? Any suggestions are welcomed! Thank you!

Comments (8)

• lynnprek
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry here is FR doorway. All floors will be refinished with a darker stain.
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

Are the new planks wider - and that is the reason they don't line up? If they are the same width, the contractor should be able to cut the planks lengthwise so that they line up with the older flooring.

• lynnprek
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All will be 21/4 red oak. Planks from living room do not line up with those laid in dining room across entry.
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

Ok, I think I get the issue now. I would do a transition board in the smaller doorways, and continue the flow (no transition board) into the living room.

• User
    5 years ago

I'm not understanding too well, but the boards across the hallway don't line up? Are they directly across from each other?

Can you do a quick sketch floorplan?

• lynnprek
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a picture standing in living room, looking into dining room. Both same hardwood but planks are not directly lined up so the new floor can not be woven in.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

weave in across the large opening, a perpendicular board across the other doorway, like a threshold.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH