Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseymblades

awkward living room set up - help! how to arrange furniture?

Casey Blades
5 years ago
Hey everyone! Very awkward living room situation, island extends out into the living room space, and the fireplace is on a catty corner. Looking to buy a new sofa and redo the style of this entire room. Any thoughts or recommendations on how I could style/arrange this room?

Comments (13)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

When you buy new furniture, buy apartment sized pieces. No loveseats or 1.5 chairs. I think your arrangement now is good, but the scale of the furniture is too large. A 3-seat sofa and two matching chairs, possibly swivels that can turn to watch TV or enjoy the fire, will make a big change.

• condolivin
    5 years ago

Definitely agree that the chair and a half has to go and possibly a different coffee table. If you are feeling adventurous you could add some gold/ brass

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I would also suggest a beautiful painting over the fireplace instead of what you have to give some color to this very bland space and a metal and glass coffee table that looks more in style than what you have now. I would buy beige rather than gray furniture to go with your granite, and a longer console table in a light colored wood for your TV. The gray rug will look fine with the beige furniture, although I would recommend painting the walls a cream color to blend with the granite and the furniture. I'm afraid the art over the TV is very bland and colorless. Look on Pinterest or just google for gallery walls for inspiration.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

dont forget the pillows!

• jck910
    5 years ago

fuller drapery panels

• jupidupi
    5 years ago

I second the idea of swivel chairs. They give you the flexibility to face the fireplace, face the kitchen, face the sofa. We bought some super comfortable ones at Stickley. One is even a swipe recliner.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Condolivin, do you know where those chairs came from? I like the small size of them.
  • condolivin
    5 years ago

Sara Sitardites I will do a bit of digging and see if I can find out. They are similar to Mitchell gold Avery as far as shape.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

those are barrels, there are lots of them in stores. 2 other types of swivels.

Zerk Swivel Arm Chair, Peacock Blue Linen · More Info

Suri Swivel Arm Chair & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

I don't think the room is large enough to support a sectional. And who is going to be stuck sitting in the corner?

• laurkade
    5 years ago
    Consider putting sofa in front of window. Add extra drape panels to window or pull drapes to edge of blind. Try to find another chair to match sm chair by tv . If unable to find, then look for two similar matching chairs. Place the two chairs where the sofa is now with small table between them. You also need a larger tv stand. Take the pics on wall by tv and hang over fireplace - two on top, two under the top two ( approx 1 in apart) center tv stand on wall . Add something of height by tv stand closest to hallway.plant, floor lamp. Consider a round coffee table. Could use rug in front of sofa to add color. Find pillows for sofa with beige, gray, teal or colors from rug.
  • PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    5 years ago

We think you are on the right track, your design just needs some tweaking. Here are a few ways in which you can get the look you want. Get rid of the big chair by the window in exchange for something smaller, and put it next to the chair on the left. Change out the TV console for something longer and thinner. Then add some great artwork over the fireplace. Next add thicker window treatments to the windows, and get a longer coffee table. Perhaps when you get a coffee table and the TV console look for something in wood instead of black. Also we recommend taking down the four pictures above the TV. Instead you can hang two vertically on each side of the TV if you want to keep them. Note the set up below? We think this arrangement would work, except flip the chairs to the other side.

Layout:

High-End Lowry Home · More Info

Modern Project: Living Room · More Info

Window treatments:
    Living Rooms · More Info