Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pom_mom

Clueless... Need Help with Exterior Makeover!

Pom Mom
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

HI! I need help like everyone else... YADAYADAYADA.

But really, I need help.

I hate the exterior of my house. It's so... basic.

Below are pics of my home and 1 picture of my dream home exterior.

I am getting my home's exterior limewashed.

1. What color door?

2. What color shutters?

3. How many shutters?

3. What color garage door?

MY HOUSE

MY HOUSE

MY HOUSE

MY HOUSE

DREAM HOUSE

THANKS.

Comments (23)

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Beautiful home.

Adding shutters ... nope ... nope ... nope.

Your front door stoop is well framed and the obvious entry to your home. With the garage doors not being on the front of your home in close proximity to your front door and competing with your front entrance for attention, leave them white.

A dark bold color for your door, perhaps with a brass kick plate, would make the front door more inviting and more the focal point of the front of your home.

You might consider a dark bold cobalt blue or a dark bold emerald green.

Your shrubs are taller than the windowsills of your home and have gaps between them ... as is, not a plus ...

You might have them all transplanted to the back border of your lot inside your property line a green fence; or

You could use them to create a green fence (continuing in the direction of the front exterior wall of your home) to divide your front yard from your side yard and provide a privacy screen.

Then focus on new landscaping.

Pom Mom thanked suezbell
  • Pom Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi! Thank you so much for replying! WOW. Great ideas. So, no shutters because of my front door framing? Love the brass kick plate idea.

White garage door even with white'ish bricks?

• suezbell
    5 years ago

No shutters because there is insufficient room (and no aesthetic need ) for shutters that would, if closed, be large enough to cover the windows.

The three windows together on the right look great as is and there is practical way to add shutters that would look good there.

Those two individual windows left of the porch don't need shutters either -- and there is insufficient room between the right individual window and the porch for one.

Porch is not a problem -- it's really nice as is.

Your home with white fascia and trim is a classic design and white garage doors do well UNLESS the garage doors are competing with the front entry for attention. Your garage doors are not doing that.

Your brick forward facing gable entry says HERE!

It is your shrubs that are trying to claim dominance and hide your home; therefore, it is your shrubs that need attention.

You could try having them drastically trimmed rather than moving them and starting over.

Pom Mom thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Wait ... wait ... what?!? Is the first pic NOT your home?

Would NOT lime wash brick.

Pom Mom thanked suezbell
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Did you mean 4 pics of your home and just 1 of the white inspiration home? If so, no shutters and the brick is great.

Pom Mom thanked chloebud
  • Pom Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so shocked you guys like the brick!! I thought it looked like a 90's cookie cutter house. :(

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Home is charming, but the landscaping is over whelming the charm of your home. All the round ball shrubs have to go. You need a new landscaping plan

• Rachel G
    5 years ago

I think white washing the brick is a good idea. It is a bit cookie cutter to me. I also think the landscaping suggestions made here would greatly enhance it.

• latifolia
    5 years ago

Your biggest bang for your buck will be landscaping, hands down. Get a professional in to create a good plan. Those shrubs need to go.

You might consider a more stately walk with brick or stone. At a bare minimum it needs power washing.

You might like a black door with brass kickplate and hardware.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

Save the money you would spend on the lime wash and instead get a professional landscape design.

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    As others are saying, I love your brick home! I think painting the front door (maybe navy or another bold color) and adding landscaping will make a big impact. I also agree with no shutters. Good luck!
  • Rachel G
    5 years ago

Something else to consider is how many other homes in your area look like this or have this similar brick color. If there are others I would definitely consider white wash or painting. That way it would stand out more from the other houses.

• redoredone
    5 years ago

I actually think your brick looks nice, too. We had no choice but to paint ours, because of additions and the already mismatched ugly brick on our house. That said, I LOVE our white painted brick now. So if you are set on white brick, go for it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

post this over in landscape design too. you'll get some visuals from them. personally I think those shrubs are too tall, too round, and the ones by the front entrance need to go. they detract from the beauty of that brickwork. at the very least, yank the two on either side of the front steps.

post a pic of the house over in landscape design and the garden forum, and hopefully DigDougDesigns will show you how it could look. consider doing the flower beds like this, with more purple flowers/grasses

as for the door, stop looking and do this color. a deep Aubergine

tried to take out the bushes so you can see what it can look like

or a lighter purple shade. I like the purples because they go well w/your brick.

or find a warm, wood door w/windows.

do a wood garage door, carriage style.

• Natasha P
    5 years ago

Maybe I am in the minority but I would think it would look so much better white! The brick looks very dusty and out of date to me. I personally don't think there is anything special about it and I think your house would stand out so much more with better landscaping and changing up the brick to white.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Rip out the shrubbery and the walk. Get a landscape architect to plan installations that will enhance the house. Plan a walk as wide as the steps that goes straight out to the street. Leave the rest of it alone except for a nice color you like on the door.

• Allison Lane
    5 years ago

I also like the idea of painting the brick. Looks old to me and I think it would freshen it up if you did it up like your inspiration picture. Oh and you can look into ceramic or mineral based paints, which keep maintenance on painted brick to a minimum. Also, agree that those bushes need to come out.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    That brick doesn't look "old." It's a light colored brick with some variation, just the way it was meant to look. Good brick doesn't need to be painted, schmeared or limewashed, because it's got its own character. Heck, my grandmother grew up in a brick house built in 1595 and to this day the brick has never been painted. Now that's old brick!
  • Pom Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...1595?! Good grief!
  • larkspurproject
    5 years ago

Start with a landscape designer who can also redesign your walkway with pavers in various sizes or flagstone. Include landscape lighting. Agree, no shutters. Paint the front door, anything will be better than the white. Live with it and then decide if you still want to lime wash or paint the bricks.

• Ray D
    5 years ago

Just so you know. Ceramic or mineral based paints don’t require much upkeep. Your brick would be fine painted. A lot of people spread misinformation about this. People also get really up in arms the minute someone suggest you paint brick or wood because they think it is a sin. I would say go with your gut and whitewash or paint. It is your house, none of use have to live there or look at it every day. Used to live in a brick house and I was honestly apprehensive about painting it but my wife hated the brick. We did the process right and I honestly liked it better painted...just don’t tell my wife that. I think paint would suit your house well and it gives you some more color options for trim if you paint or white wash it. Just an old farts opinion though.

• phuninthesun
    5 years ago

Love your brick. Just add the white to your landscape.