Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soltechsolutions

Need help designing our new space (renovated silk mill)!

Hi Houzzers,

I’m reaching out because we have a month to move into our new office space and we get to redesign it from scratch. The building is an old renovated silk mill with beautiful hardwood floors, plenty of space (777 sq ft) and tall 15ft ceilings. I’ve attached some photos as well as a basic floor plan that I quickly sketched up in a free program.

We’re a plant light company so incorporating plants is a must. I’ve attached an apartment featured Apartment Therapy that I think would be great to replicate. (Fun fact: she actually has one of our lights in her bedroom!)

Our budget is under $5000 (ideally $3500) and would have to seat 4 of us with room for 2 part-time interns, an assembly area, testing area, kitchen area, and space for inventory; but those are things we could probably figure out since they’ll be more industrial in nature. Figuring out a clean modern style with some beautiful office furniture and decorations would be a beautiful way to start off in our new digs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Paul

Comments (17)

• echristine
    5 years ago

Love it! A clean canvas. Do you already have any furniture that you plan to use?

• pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Very cool inspiration and space! Furnishing the full area with $5000 sounds challenging but fun.

In terms of layout, it looks like it would be natural to put a sitting area by the door. Love how your inspiration uses shelving and plants to separate it from the work space.

IKEA KALLAX shelving unit - $199

Fun leather sofa in that very modern color.

IKEA STOCKHOLM sofa - $1999

West Elm Hamilton sofa - $2799

Maybe add a fun wicker chair or two to form a conversation space.

IKEA STOCKHOLM chair - $229

Add a nice soft white rug to make the seating area feel cozy.

esalerugs.com solid shag rug - $189

esalerugs.com Marrakesh rug - $229

For the work spaces, I'd look for some affordable industrial-looking desks with similar wood tones.

IKEA KULLABERG desk - $149

IKEA KULLABERG chair - $59

You could use some more shelving units to divide spaces and have more storage and more places to put plants. Using plants in place of cubicle walls sounds really fun.

IKEA YPPERLIG shelving unit - $110

I spot some fun pendant lights in your inspiration that look a lot like these.

IKEA RANARP pendant light - $39

I bet you could also find some really cool salvage items. In your inspiration picture I spot some giant spools and vintage metal kitchen table. I see the latter all the time on my local classifieds.

I hope you will return to share more about your space. What an exciting space to decorate and work in!

Soltech Solutions thanked pricklypearcactus
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pricklypearcactus! Thank you! You nailed it. This has been the biggest help. I love the couch and the bookshelf the best! That's perfect for what we're setting up. I'm going to upload the updated CAD sketches in a little. Thank God for IKEA. We already have 3 IKEA desks that match with the light wood and caramel couches very well.

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

lupins4, without a doubt we will do a grow wall, if not several! Any dead space we have will be full of beautiful colorful and bright plants.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

Soltech Solutions thanked katinparadise
  • Denita
    5 years ago

following

Soltech Solutions thanked Denita
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So we're picking up a couch today. Got it for practically free. I love it's style - hate it's color. Might stain and polyurethane the wood. We'll see. But definitely painting the leather.

So question is...which color. Which would look best, Forrest Green, Navy, or Caramel?

Classic Chesterfield Scroll Arm Sofa in Genuine Leather, Green · More Info

Winston PU Leather Button Tufted, Gold Nail Trim Y-shaped Feet Sofa, Navy Blue · More Info

Pasargad Home Genuine Brown Leather Chester Bay Tufted Sofa · More Info

• Christy Bredahl
    5 years ago

Those are all really cool! My husband has been shopping feverishly for a Chesterfield sofa and those colors really are fantastic. I know that leather isn't great looking, but I'm wondering if you just sand and stain the wood parts something really dark for contrast if the leather won't look so dull? Green would look cool with your business though...

Soltech Solutions thanked Christy Bredahl
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

Look into having the leather dyed. I've seen youtube videos and it works quite well.

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! It's actually nicer than I had hoped. Plus it's pretty comfortable too. I think we will go with the green with our business. I'll tackle it this Sunday once I get the specialty paints in.

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also here is some of the CAD sketches of our office layout. We started staining and building the work tables today.

And the bookshelf with probably have box planters with draped pothos running down the shelves instead of the small little pots.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don’t know about going with the green it may just camaflouge with the rest of the plants depending on how much you will have. I would stick with the pasagard genuine leather chester bay

Soltech Solutions thanked User
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I think the green could be fun and bring in a little coolness with all of the wood you have going. Might be a good idea to pick up a green sheet or piece of fabric close to the color you're thinking of using and drape it over the sofa to see how it feels. The camel is another nice option as well.

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love the drape idea. That would be a good chance to see how it looks. It will also help once we have all of the furniture in. Because it's actually a much nicer brown than pictured above. I'll snag of new picture of it later for you all.

• PRO
    AR Decor
    5 years ago
    Play with modern light DIY screens! Check out how I used it in my projects.

Literally built my self. Get compliments on them all the time!

Carpenter’s wait time and price were a joke.

If interested will give you details of the process (3 hours total time :-)

One is horizontal and the last one is vertical, separates dining and living.

Black defines dressing area from open space loooooong master
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Soltech-

I don't know if you are in a large city or not, but I think you could save money if you could pick up older pieces at resale and charity stores, etc and maybe redo and/or repurpose them.

For example, those old library card catalogs are beautiful well-made solid wood pieces that are marvelous for storing parts used in constructing your lamps, or office supplies.