Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

The Barden Bed has a secret...

Howdy all! I thought I would give everyone an update on how my brand, shiny new rose bed, dedicated to Paul Barden’s Roses is progressing:

So it’s all weeded, this year’s transplants and purchases are all in (unless something pops up from RvR.) the dahlias are planted, the annuals are in, and the roses are settling in and growing.

Starting clockwise it’s: Fara Shimbo, Etienne,, Gallicandy, (open spots), Barbara Oliva (pouting and very slow to break dormancy), Marianne, and Siren’s Keep. The only flowers so far are sweet Fara Shimbo! Sooo cute and what pretty mossing, I have to try for a better picture.

What’s the secret you ask? What’s that young rose in the middle? Hmmm I wonder what it could be?

Paul was kind enough to send me a Gallicandy (which is healthy and gorgeous and ready to rock). In the box was a surprise, a small pot of Whetstone Garden! Queue the excited shrieks! It’s been given pride of place in the middle of the bed, and I’m hoping to add a lovely sculptural fountain next to it this summer. Of course all the roses are young, so there’s not much to look at yet, but I’m very much looking forward to seeing it’s progression over the next few years!!

Comments (8)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How very exciting, Karen! I don’t even have to go look up ‘Whetstone Garden’, to know exactly what rose you’re talking about! I remember the post about it, and will never forget that pink beauty! I’m excited for you, and can’t wait to see more pictures as they mature. I only have ‘Sirens Keep’, of the ones you have, but I’m sure you’ll love it! I wish I had thought to keep all my Paul Barden roses together like that. I had no idea they’d become my favorites, and that I’d start collecting them when I began. Your bed looks wonderful! Lisa

Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN) thanked Lisa Adams
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

What a fantastic round bed you have! I can't wait to see it all filled in and blooming :)

Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all. Paul was kind enough to point out that as the roses mature, they may outgrow their current situation. We will see how things progress. It’s always a crap shoot in my Northern Garden. With our short growing season, many roses fail to achieve their full sizes, some have to start practically from the ground up each year, and the most tip hardy sometimes manage to surprise me. I’m going to try to remember to journal this bed, with growth rates each year, and cane loss, to see how we do. Some day the Barden Bed may end up as a Barden Hedge!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Karen that is beautiful. I love the stones and all. Can't wait the roses to grow...

How big is the bed ?

Jin

Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN) thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

So excited for you! Cant wait to see more pictures as they grow!

Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN) thanked Alana8aSC
  • suncoastflowers
    5 years ago

Oh that's beautiful!

Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN) thanked suncoastflowers
  • Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! It's certainly looking better now that is is properly weeded and mulched. The Rose Eater (a scruffy, rather over heated looking cottontail rabbit) decided that Siren's Keep looked good enough to eat, and did just that a few evenings ago, so now I have to try out the pot-as-a-cloche idea. With temps unseasonably hot here, approaching or hitting 100 the last 6 days in a row, the gardens are all very crispy, and the blooms fade quickly. Thank goodness I got the mulch down when I did!

Jin- the bed is roughly a 10' circle. I have no idea if my roses will get anywhere near their expected sizes as they mature, so there may be considerable expansion and tweaking as time passes. Or not. It's always a work in progress up here!

Carol, you are so lucky to have been able to visit the originals in person! I'm beyond jealous. I too have my eye Allegra- something about Paul's gallicas makes me swoon. Etienne had a few blossoms on it when it came from RvR- quickly trimmed off but golly were they stunners!