Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margemeg

Bathroom reno - backsplash tile and mirror options

Meg W
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi - we are embarking on a full bathroom renovation for the kids' bath. All current tile and fixtures are being taken out but plumbing is staying in the same place. We have a ton of decisions to make but this morning I'm focusing on sink backsplash and how to place mirror over the vanity. The room is a basic 5x7', with tub/shower on one wall, and sink + toilet on the opposite wall. Here's a rough floor plan (the door narrowly misses the sink and hits up against the tub when open, opposite of door is the baseboard heating vent):

Given the layout, the sink top can be no more than 25" wide so the mirror option is either having one 25" or less to center over sink, or more of a full-wall effect over the sink and toilet. Right now it's the former (complete with broken medicine cabinet so it's only a poorly-lit half mirror!):

Some inspiration photos for full wall mirror (one with shelf extension over toilet, one without):

Mohawk · More Info

Clean and Simple · More Info

We also plan to only have the tub surround tiled, with the rest of the bathroom drywall-only instead of re-tiling the bottom half, so I need to figure out whether to do a sink-height tile border from the door around to where the towel bar is, like this (minus the gray subway tile):

Bringing the outdoors in- A Redondo Beach, CA Addition · More Info

or just the corner around the sink itself (like this, which I don't love

Complete Basement Renovation · More Info

Kids are still young and splashy so I want to have something other than the drywall directly up against the sink.

I'd love to hear thoughts or problems I haven't considered. We have a linen closet directly outside this bathroom for storing towels, extra toilet paper, extra toiletries, etc., so we are just planning to have a mirror, not medicine cabinet, and then enough storage for basics in the vanity. My one thought about the larger mirror is that if we can't have a double vanity, at least they can both use the mirror at the same time.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• pattyl11
    5 years ago

I think if you are doing just a single mirror or medicine cabinet over the vanity, I would just use the border around the sink like your last photo or use the matching tub surround tile with or without a border. But if you do a full width mirror, I would use a border all the way under the mirror. If full mirror is your choice, have you considered tiling the sink/toilet walls with or without a border? If you don't use a border, you can finish the end with a metal strip or a pencil liner.

• Meg W
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks both.

mvcanada, we were thinking of buying a vanity/sink combo online so not necessarily able to buy extra material for backsplash and counter shelf, though if we go with a basic white it shouldn't be too hard to match, right? I can't decide if I would prefer a shelf that extends from the sink countertop, or one that is separate and between the sink and mirror. Might depend on which vanity we choose (still looking, as evidenced by my other post). But good point on running whatever we have to meet the large mirror.

pamal66, can you clarify your last bit about the metal strip or pencil liner? Is that for the end of the backsplash on the edge of the sink so it doesn't feel like it just ends by accident?

We did consider tiling the wall with the sink/toilet but we were feeling like the current half wall of tile was making the room feel smaller, and with the layout, we'd have to tile everything or just the tub (because tiling by the sink/toilet plus the tub but not the last wall where the vent is would just feel unfinished).

We haven't decided on wall or floor colors yet, though the fixtures and tub tile will probably be a basic white. We love this floor:

Gray tones playfulness. A kids bathroom in Oak park. · More Info

And these are some of our vanity inspirations:

Virtu USA Bailey 24" Single Square Sink Grey Top Vanity in Grey · More Info

Burlington Transitional Bungalow · More Info
    (this last one with a white top instead)

Bathroom Vanity Morris 30" with Porcelain Sink Top, Chestnut · More Info

One thought I had about the tile border was that if it doesn't match the tub tile, it could match whatever we put in the shower niche, but that's as far as I've gotten in finding an actual tile!

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t have a vanity on legs or in any way elevated from the floor. It’s another place to collect dust and have to clean.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

If you want to add a little more space, I would recommend to get rid of the tub. Kids/teenagers don't take baths and a stand-up shower would allow you to add a little storage unit for them.

• Meg W
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We actually have two other bathrooms with shower stalls only so this is our only tub. We still have one kid who only bathes and I'd hate to get rid of the only bathtub.

I'm torn on the vanity with legs / without. I hear the cleaning concerns but some of those vanities with the toe kicks seem to take up so much space. The one we have currently got kind of gross along the grout so it's not easy to clean either! We will likely tile the whole floor either way to give us flexibility down the line.

Which brings me to: is it too much to have floor tile + shower tile + backsplash tile of different types in such a small space? We want a sense of lightness which the room is currently lacking and don't want to to be overwhelming, but also it's a kids' bathroom so it doesn't need to be stark.

• pattyl11
    5 years ago

Meg, to answer your question about my comment of a metal strip or a pencil liner, if you went with inspiration photo # 3 or #4, I would use either a metal strip, pencil liner or bullnose to cap off the tile's unfinished end. If you went with Inspiration photo #1 you wouldn't need anything else if the mirror sits on the top of the unfinished end of the tile. Another solution to inspiration photo #1 is to have a custom vanity top made with a built in backsplash going all the way across to the end by the toilet and have the mirror sit on top of it.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Walls/c/P-FW

https://www.houzz.com/photos/pencil-liner-tile-phbr0lbl-bl~l_42242

• My House
    5 years ago

First Inspiration Photo- YES! The larger mirror expands the room visually. The smaller mirror makes the room look cramped. I agree w/ MVCanada. As your kids grow older, "mirror time" and counter space will be an issue in the mornings. The extended mirror and counter top will help alleviate frustrations and disagreements.

• Meg W
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wish my ceilings were as high as inspiration photo #1! I hope having to have a narrower mirror (shorter height) will give the right effect. Im not sure we have much choice about the lighting though we will see what the contractor says. I had the same thoughts about kids using the mirror together.

Thanks for the positive response.

• PRO
    NewLinkz
    5 years ago

An easy and cost-effective alternative for your backsplash that
    is changeable over time, I might recommend an adhesive tile approach where you
    aren't skimping on quality and it's something you can trim down and install
    yourself. Here's some ideas https://www.houzz.com/projects/users/info959?lt=hl

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations