Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in June 2018

Okay. I'll get the ball rolling by posting Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli' currently covered in blooms. The nights are heady with all the different sambacs blooming.

Any fragrant plants blooming for you?

Comments (66)

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

One more rose..what was I thinking this year! So many roses..hope the jb's are drowned with the rains :) Generous gardener da rose. With a name like that couldn't resist it and found it for $15 at lowes.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Golden Lady bloomed as a single, should be a double. Scent is light so far. Smells like lilies but kind of fruity... Can't really describe it. Ignore the leaves, the caterpillars ravaged it after I moved it to the backyard. Can't wait for this brug to mature and really put on a show.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cool, please keep us posted on Golden Lady's scent, Tom.

Lilium 'Satisfaction' opened today. I still love its unique scent.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

I will Robert. Nice lilies. Those colors are pretty like a tropical sunset. I'm suspecting golden lady will become more scented as it gets older. It may be too hot outside because no scents are wafting, not even Rangoon creeper. Grand duke and Belle of India are still fairly scented and I smell them walking by. I love that duke has just as much scent during the day. Weirdly enough Xena is blooming too and has barely any scent compared to the past. Why, I just don't know. Will post more bloom pics shortly :)

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

The back porch reeks of jasmine this morning!

Belle of India might be the prettiest jasmine. Smells more at night.

Grand Duke is my favorite jasmine. Love that its scent is day and night.

Xena is amazing. I love her flared/rippled blooms.

Radermachera kunming is so cute lol.

Oklahoma is the best red rose! Blooms stayed big and fat even in the heat.

A lone flower on Brassavola grandiflora that died back 98% during the freeze. Surprised it's alive or blooming.

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Another rose which I added this year..Angel face. Love its fragrance.

Jasmine nitidum

Mali pikul

Grand duke tuscany. I might have to repot this plant. Blooms are so small on this

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Jasminegal, Angel Face is one of my favorite roses but it didn't survive long here in the super heat and humidity of Florida. Maybe in a pot. Its fragrance was one of my favorites, really interesting. Hope it does well for you.

Here's mine when it was in top form about 3 years ago. I miss it! :( haha

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

That's a wonderful photo of angelface Tom. I loved its fragrance too..I smelled raspberries and strawberries :) It did struggle here too. Very late to start from bare root. I had almost given up but the rains helped it jump start. For $7.50 bare root rose from costco I won't be loosing much :)

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Hi everyone. Hope all is great. Thanks Robert and hoping your ok. Here is a few of my very fragrant plants. Many will look familiar and if anyone needs names I'll be happy to share )

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Jasminegal, thank you! Angel Face smelled a lot like lemon and herbal, with old-fashioned rose smell to me. Yes, not losing much, I agree. I never did well with bare root roses. The few that I bought are all dead :) Maybe because I neglected them or didn't pot them up a second time.

And Mike, lovely blooms. Love the Encyclia fragrans, that orchid has had its name changed so many times I don't even know what to call it anymore. I heard it smells delicious. Nice roses too. And those honeysuckles are loving you! Look at that profusion of blooms. I bet you're really loving all the blooms after all the cold weather. Great job.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Hoya EPC-620 opened its first of two umbels tonight. Has an incense smell like jasmine but smells a lot like cinnamon with a very slight chocolate scent.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Tom. Wow. You never stop amazing me. Here's a couple unusual fragrant not seen in this forum buddy.

Everyone else. So good to see you all and your beauties

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Thanks Mike! The roses look awesome as do all your plants. :)

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Figured I'd share again as the second umbel opened around sunset. Love this Hoya and its scent.

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Wow...all these beautiful fragrant works give me hope to plow on through this hellish garden abyss. Here are a couple that I have blooming now and happily enjoying the outdoors...

Encyclia Rufa….super wafting fragrance...similar to night blooming jasmine...very slow growing but always consistent.

Even though not as fancy as the Gardenia Taitensis Double...this simple tiare is a beast in this heat. The scent makes me want to be sitting on my own private deck in an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora......sigh.....

Miltoniopsis Andrea West spreading her love and scent in the AM hours....crafting the range from oversweet dandelion honey to dirty gym socks depending on the hour...or her mood....she knows how to stick it to me....

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis….not fragrant....but so amazing in form....it was cheated by nature and cursed to be devoid of any fragrance...nature can be so cruel to some beauties....

Radermachera Kunming....I have read so much about the lack of fragrance....and like osmanthus….it is moody. I picked this up at a festival this spring and until now you had to stick your nose in the flowers....now that it is unbearable hot and humid.... I can smell this wafting across the yard....very very happy with this....

Encyclia fragrans….like rufa….very dependable however this one multiplies like rabbits...whereas rufa throws out only one new lead a year. Funny how like Andrea....this one can be moody...sometimes throwing out vanilla frosting and other times to my nose a strong root beer-ish or cola smell. It wafts for yards!

A new purchase I snagged at HD today...just came in...some Rangoon Creeper single...threw in some porter weed to continue my butterfly-hummingbird environs.

Aer. Houlletiana has bloomed her head off again. I cannot say enough about this orchid. Why get a vanda when you can have this...lol. I love vandas anyway. The color contrast is striking but the fragrance covers the entire yard on a soft breeze. Truly truly love this.....

Not to be outdone...Aer. Odorata is joining the choir and pumping out more lemony loveliness.

• blutayle
    5 years ago

BTW Fragrance gardeners....don't forget to stay hydrated during this awful time of year that our plants love so much...

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Blutayle your so sweet like your flowers and love the way you describe your plants. Can't stop reading what you write. Thank you

Tom thank you and now I need to require one of those Hoyas. Ha. Thanks and enjoy your day )

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Bluetayle, all those orchids are amazing! I can't believe how many blooms you have. The only one I have that is about to bloom is old faithful Blc. Waianae Leopard 'Ching Hua'. Very nice!!

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Blutayle absolutely agree on hibiscus and fragrance! Here's mine with its lavender and coral tones

Since its pollinator week..my groovy grape buddleia with a bee

Miss molly butterfly bush in her full glory

I can't decide if this bee balm is light pink or lilac

Jacob cline bee balm
    Coneflower with the fritillary butterfly

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Thanks all! :) Jasminegal beautiful hibiscus...my fave un-fragrant(sp) flowers. The buddleia are amazing and wish they would be as prolific down here. Beautiful pics!

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

I almost forgot that stephanotis is blooming. Flowers were hidden underneath a massive bush of vine. Smells like wintergreen if I stick my nose in it. I can't smell anything over Belle of India wafting around the back porch.

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Tom, how would you rate Stephanotis? I am torn as there are some huge trellised specimens at my local HD and loaded with flowers and buds....and I had one many years ago...however no matter how many flowers it has...it does not seem to waft, even at night. What say you? Is this a wafter worth waiting for...or move on. There are a healthy batch of artabotrys I just saw listed from a FL grower on Ebay today and am leaning toward that for wafting....

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Blutayle, I don't think it will ever waft. I just love the plant so I keep it, but I too was disappointed with the lack of wafting fragrance. I would say to move on, or just pick one up because it's an awesome plant!

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Here's some pics from my Nikon because my cell phone pics just aren't exciting me ;)

Belle of India is still covered in blooms. Love them close up.

Blue Girl has been pumping out big, beautiful, and fragrant blooms. Almost missed these as well!

Oklahoma still holding up in the sun without scorching too bad.
    One little cluster on a monster of a plant, kind of funny to me ;)

One of the clusters on Hoya EPC-620 is starting to close. Only lasted a few nights. Smell was delicious reminding me of jasmine, cinnamon, powdered sugar/frosting, and even sickeningly sweet like children's toothpaste, the sparkly blue and pink kind!

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Lovely pics Tom! And totally agree cell phone pics are not exciting to me these days as well :)

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Thank you Jasminegal! I enjoy everyone else's cell phone pics, just not mine, haha. Sometimes it's just easier to snap and upload with the phone than getting out the camera. :)

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Interesting to have because it is so rare....you can say been there done that. However, don't think I would "do that" again. It is extremely slow growing....extremelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. The flower, although pretty and makes a nice moon garden addition...does NOT smell like chocolate to my nose. In fact, if that is how chocolate smelled....I would be cured of my sweet tooth :)

Portlandia Grandiflora

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Blutayle, does that mean you don't like the scent? Mine is growing but hasn't bloomed. I don't know why but I think it's big enough. This plant does grow verrryyyy slowly

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Hi Tom,

I have a second plant that is about 10in tall and that has a bud too. This plant I bought about 3ft tall. It will bloom trust me. Just make sure to not let it dry out and top dress it with dolomite lime as it is a calcium lover...not acidic like most of our gardenias ect. It is very sweet to me...but more pollen-y sweet without any hints of chocolate like you can kind of make out for Sharry Baby. It is not spicy/sweet like Brun. Gigantae nor floral sweet like some Brugs….just pollen sweet to me....I hope you find the scent different. I love white blooms on a full moon and am currently starting some 72 cell trays of Datura inoxia and Cassia(senna alata). I hear that the white Datura is very fragrant and really reflects the moonlight...even though it is deadly poisonous....more so then brugs….

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Funny you are waiting for the Portlandia...and I am wondering how long before my Peristeria Elata spikes....I hear that has an AMAZING scent...

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the info blutayle! Now I'm very interested to see how it smells. I've had some starts and stops with the plant. Its roots seem thin and shallow last time I repotted. There wasn't a strong rootball yet it seems to need a bigger pot. I won't repot til it blooms. I had peresteria elata and pendula and they both died back and started to rot after the freeze so I tossed them. It sucked because they were both huge but didn't bloom. Fickle orchids I guess. A lot of my orchids just seem to sit there without spiking even though they're blooming size. I've wanted to grow datura too but haven't yet. Same with nicotiana and old fashioned night fragrant petunias.

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about the loss of the peristeria. My portlandia has shallow roots too and seem to like being pot bound. The Datura seeds are very obtainable on Ebay and once you have one plant...like milkweed...you will wind up with thousands...

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

It's okay. I'll live without them. I was fed up with them anyway cause they kept growing and skipped blooming. I'd have to grow datura in a pot because I can't do invasive and plants that reseed like crazy. Not in Florida. Same goes for plants with runners. I'm also anxiously waiting for telosma corsata and passiflora platyloba to bloom. They're growing like weeds but no blooms in sight. I feel like they should have bloomed a while ago.

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Same is the case with my brunfelsias..other than australis. They keep on growing and when they decide to bloom they make buds and then they drop them..Arghhh..they test my patience!

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

I haven't had Brunfelsias drop buds but Hoyas..now that's a different story! My Hoya imperialis buds were getting bigger every day and then they aborted. I knew they were going to abort because they turned red. Hoya monetteae will make new shoots and I water it once and they turn red and fall off too. Weird that a rainforest plant from Borneo doesn't want much water at all. Some Hoyas drive me insane. Hate the ones that drop their buds. I hope your brunfelsias learn to hold their buds Jasminegal!

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Haha Tom I hope so too. These days I have become impatient so if they don't get flowers this year out they go. I am happy with my jasmines and flowers which flower in summer. It becomes a major issue to overwinter all my plants.

Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma) thanked jasminegal
  • tom_d1026
    5 years ago

My heart goes out to all of you that have to overwinter plants. That's why I live in Florida ;) If I lived in a colder climate I'd have a couple nice hoyas on a windowsill and that's about it. I've become impatient too and if a plant starts to decline, I usually just toss it if I know I won't regret it. There's been a few exceptions and I'm glad I didn't throw them out in haste (Hoya coriacea, Hoya imperialis) because they came back famously, but others I just toss. Especially cold damaged orchids ;) Jasmines are the best, that's why you're jasminegal!! :)

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

True Tom! Jasmines are the best :) Even I don't know why I selected that name but I guess it brings me back the memories of my grandmother's garden and wonderful childhood memories. And ofcourse they are wonderful and ethereal flowers!

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Well, I think it's a great name! Jasmines are some of the best. I think I decided I like the fragrance better than gardenia. I remember my grandma's garden too. I don't remember her having many fragrants besides a red rose but I loved her bird of paradise, desert roses, and shrimp plants. Those were the days.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Tom, I have a fetish for hoya!! Do you know of a place that sells that particular one? or I can even send you money for a couple of cuttings! I am in love with that one and the description. I have yet to have one that flowers white and round like that.

Blutayle. you are not kidding about the Encyclia fragrant, everyone has to have one that like fragrant plants. It is one of my favorites and in full bloom for weeks!!!!

Mike

• jasminegal
    5 years ago

Chilean cestrum is loaded with buds and even though I am not that fond of its scent I like it for its blooms and its ease of care

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Mike, I bought it from gardino nursery. I've only seen it for sale on their one more time since I bought it. I could send you a cutting or we could trade, which I would like. I actually need to repot it and let it grow. I was actually surprised it bloomed as it is a small plant. I'll check and see if I can root a small cutting for you tomorrow. Let me know what you can trade.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Tom hey, I could send you something but not sure what you like. have you ever tried fragrant geraniums? Wow!! How about other Hoya? I have lots of different ones. I am pretty good at starting them from cuttings. Maybe you could send a cutting or two and I could. Or, I can even send you postage through mail or pay pal. Anything and the quicker the better since mu summer is short. Ha/ You are the best and thanks a million for this.

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

That's my e-mail if need be for address and such)

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

You

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

No problem Mike. I could send a cutting I'm just wondering if it's too small, that's why I'd like to root it. What kind of hoyas do you have? That works for me. :) I'll save your email. Don't worry about postage but if you'd rather just do that then that's fine.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Hey Tom, I know I have a pretty rare one I got from a friend in which his visited I think was Columbia from the forest, then I have a few other pretty cool ones. I will take pics and you can see the leaves. I would love that! I am rooting some now...Who knows, maybe one of my mother plants will die and you could carry on with it and have back up just as I would for you. Thanks buddy

Tom here is my e-mail when you get a chance and I can provide my address and such. I can send you cuttings as soon as yesterday!

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Mike, do you know the names of the plants? I'd prefer named plants. I don't think I can cut epc 620 this season, it's too small, but I can send you a couple rooted plants or a few cuttings to make up for it. I could send albiflora, kanyakumariana, hat som paen small rooted plants or cuttings of archboldiana, krohniana, finlaysonii. Let me know what you have and we can go from there.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Tom ,damn your good! All the labels on mine asked away with a small tornado I had a couple years ago, Now I don't know the name of any. Maybe you could if you saw the pics or I could try and get names over at the Hoya forums. And yet still, I'd be willing to send cash for a small cutting if that was alright for you?

Thanks a bunch!

Are you familiar with Nancy? She sent me a few a few weeks back that are vey nice. She lives in Florida too.

E-mail me please and let me know.

Mike

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Mike, I don't know Nancy. I just emailed you. :)