Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markbraunstein

what is the best washer / Dryer set available on the market?

Mark Braunstein
5 years ago
We are a family of 6 and our 10 year old top of the line model set from Samsung is near toast, it was a front loader, it got noisy over the years, we had to change the drain pump several times on the washer and we changed the dryer heating element several times as well, luckily we learned to do it ourselves from YouTube.

The washer / dryer is literally always running in our house, we have 4 young kids and although it’s only 10 years old, we probably out 25 years of use on it.

What current set should I be buying, price isn’t an issue, I’m open to any options, it just has to fit a large load, front loading / top loading is up for discussion, it would be nice if it worked quickly, efficiently, quietly, low repairs, easily repairable.

I’m open to any make, model, and any price point.

Thank you!

Comments (41)

• Vicky Vancleave
    5 years ago

Miele little giants

• kitchenkat
    5 years ago

Speed Queen has the most durable washers and dryers on the market. For a family with four kids, the brand that has been a leader in commercial laundry for nearly 100 years and has the best warranty in the industry should be your choice. Note that Speed Queen is the only manufacturer that claims its products are built to last for 25 years of use.

• Jakvis
    5 years ago

remember that Built to Last 25 years of use doesn't mean without any repairs.

I'm sure several people will comment that their SQ lasted that long without repairs but I've repaired many that were well under 25 years. However they are good machines, just not repair proof.

• sparky823
    5 years ago

Plus the way I understand it, the new models do not clean so if you have kids I would dodge SQ machines.

• Mark Braunstein
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is there a verdict on the Samsung FlexWash/FlexDry, I’m loving the bells and whistles, have they improved the drain pump and heating element?

i should have looked at miele pricing before I said I would purchase the best, am I reading it wrong or is it really around 10k for the Little Giant washer/Dryer set?

• friedajune
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have Miele washer/dryer, and they are the best. But the price is crazy-high, and also for a family the size of yours, I don't think they have the capacity. The drum is a reasonable size, but not as big as you would need.

I would look into the Bosch 500 series, or perhaps the Electrolux which will have an even larger capacity than the Bosch. Make sure you get a model with an onboard heater. The ajmadison website is handy to sort for features.

• DrB477
    5 years ago

I researched the "best" washer and dryer a year ago and decided to go with electrolux 617 model. We have 3 kids and laundry/mudroom is open to kitchen so aesthetics were at least somewhat important. Speed queen is top load only and very industrial looking which wouldn't have worked. Miele is small, expensive, and kind of ugly.

The electrolux have been very good so far, reversible doors, no clearance installation, cleans very well, fits a king comforter, very minimal vibration, plenty of wash options, steam option in both washer and dryer which is useful. Reliability is supposedly pretty good, no problems at a year personally.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

I have a GE Profile top load agitator (with digital controls) from 2006 that I purchased from Lowe's for about $800. Never had any problems with it and still going strong. But at 12 years old, I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Some people say if it breaks, to fix it, since current top loads don't have all the water fill settings that is on this unit (low, med, high, super) and don't clean as well without the agitator.

But I have been researching current washers just in case mine went out and wanted to be replaced. For top load, there is a Maytag Commercial unit that is probably the best built top load right now for under $1000, uses an agitator and can fill all th way to the top.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/MVWP575GW.html

GE has a new GTW755 model that also has agitator and goes for $800-900.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ge-4-9-cu-ft-13-cycle-top-loading-washer-white-on-white-silver/6255119.p?skuId=6255119

For front loader, Miele has three new W1 units that go between $1500/$1700/$2000 depending on the model and features.

Asko had their new Logic Washer that is $1800-1900 depending on location.

Electrolux replaced their 617 washer with a new 627 model. Main difference is the 627 has a redesigned dispenser tray that can also use Pods.

• PRO
    Neptune Power Washing
    5 years ago

I would say get the Speed Queen front load stack washer/dryer, as it is now the only way to get the SQ front loader. The new SQ top loaders are getting bad reviews. https://www.speedqueen.com/products/stacked-washer-dryers/models/SF7

• Vicky Vancleave
    5 years ago

yes Mark the miele ligi pair runs $8-$10k no comparison though to quality of LG, Samsung, SpeedQueen, and many others. Mieles are a niche market segment and the little giants will not only last 20 + years but will be a pleasure to use (as much as laundry can be), they will also most likely have some features which other manufacturers will only introduce in 5+ years from now. simply put the Miele is a mercedes, bosch and electrolux are bmw/audi, speedqueen is a cummins diesel dodge truck, lg and samsung are kia/hyundai and so on

• Mark Braunstein
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I’ve been told by several people that for a large family of 6 like mine that the Miele Little Giants are too small and even the larger W1’s are too small.

i think the Samsung FlexWash / FlexDry are the largest capacity on the market, I was okay with spending more money to buy something that would require less repair but I’m not seeing anything else available.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Might want to look at the LG 5.2 cuft washer and add the small drawer washer under it for extra capacity.

• j k
    5 years ago
    When I just did research on this, I read multiple times that Samsungs in particular are known for needing difficult repairs. Lots of bells and whistles, lots of issues. They haven’t arrived yet, but we ended up going with LG, specifically a top loader.
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I have a family if 5 and a Whirlpool Duet 4.5cf. I am a strict sorter so find often its to big. It would take me a month to have enough white socks to make a full load. Except for comforters I wonder if a Miele might be big enough if sorting is meticulous. Do you have a Miele showroom anywhere near you? You could take an average load of your clothing in and see how they fit in the Miele.

• zenhar24
    5 years ago

@Mark: I have seen YouTube videos of 2018 Speed Queen top loaders and I wouldn't not rate them as being catastrophically bad in terms of wash performance. Sure, the mechanical action is less aggressive now that the center agitator is fixed to the drum, but they still manage to get the water and clothing to move around fairly well for certain loads in my opinion. I tend to agree with one user that I saw that says that the 2018 SQ's do fine with smaller items, and/or flexible fabrics, but not as good with stiff items such as denim/jeans, or much larger stuff. The problem with the last two categories is that the new motion method is not able to get them to move around as well. Even then, the top of the line SQ offers a soak option to give the cleaning agents more time to work. It also gives you the option to extend the wash time indirectly by adjusting the soil level. If you are dealing with the smaller kid-size garments my guess is that you can probably get the machine to wash a load fairly quickly when compared to some residential-grade front loaders. Also, many of the machine components are probably built to handle very frequent use. But just in case, a SQ top loader weights somewhat less that many of the larger residential front loaders, so moving it out from the wall to do repairs should be easier.

• PRO
    Neptune Power Washing
    5 years ago

I still say go for the stacked unit SQ front loader. If you have active kids and active teens there soon will be lots of jeans and the SQ top loader doesn't do well with them, and the machine is expensive, over $1000. It might be good for delicates, but teenage guys and even active teenage girls won't have much in the way of delicates.

• MizLizzie
    5 years ago

I have the SQ stack from 2014. A fine machine and definitely feels like it will last 25 years. Has run flawlessly for almost 4 years. Very intense cleaning cycles, lots of flexibility. Takes up minimal space and can wash up to a queen comforter well. Quite heavy, so it is for first-floor installation only, unless things have changed. Cost will run around $3K tax, delivery & install. Being short, I have a little step stool I must sometimes use to see fully into the dryer, so might be tough for kids to operate. And there is no onboard heater like a Miele, so no sanitize cycle. I don’t like how the LFS dispenses, but man, does it spin things dry. I would take it over anything currently on the market except Miele.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

SQ FL entered my mind a few years ago but with no heater it was a deal breaker. Problem is there is no way to do a hot wash. Even with the hot water heater turned hotter by the time the tap hot fills into a cold washer with cool clothing its surely warm at best considering it'd a FL using small amounts of water.

• gardener123
    5 years ago

Was there a link here to a sq video about the 2018 model agitator? Trying to find it again, but even my bookmark is gone...

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Search YouTube. SQ has a channel to promote the product but there are several other channels that have run numerous tests.

• doreycrouse
    5 years ago

Best quality: Miele Little Giants, although small

I would suggest looking at the 5.2 cu ft Kenmore or LG washer/dryer pairs.

• Planes
    5 years ago

I'd also recommend looking into the LG Turbo Wash and Kenmore Accela Wash washers (they're built by LG). They're big and the recirculating pump/spray rinse (Turbo Wash) does a good job cleaning while cutting down on time (which might be important since you wash a lot with a family). Consumer Reports says LG is among the most reliable brands. We're happy with ours.

• Heather
    5 years ago

Um no, stay far away fromBosch and Miele- they only make compact sets and you have too much laundry for those. I have a Samsung set upstairs and a Bosch set downstairs. I do a lot of laundry too. Samsung’s are still great and LG is fine too - they make an even bigger super capacity now. If that will fit in your space, consider it (it won’t fit in my space upstairs). Seriously, that is one huge laundry pair!

• oldjohnboy
    5 years ago

Check out the current issue of Consumer Reports.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I'd run from Samsung.

I have a family of 5 sometimes 6. I have a 4.5 Duet that I often find too big unless I let clothing wait. But I am strict on sorting. White socks and white underwear only, sheets by themselves and towels by themselves ect. I could have gotton by size wise with a Miele but it wasn't in the budget. All that being said a 4.5 cf is a good size for most familys. Remember the bigger ones are huge and will require waiting longer between washing. You could run low on some things before you have enough for a load. Small loads in the big machines can cause balancing issues.

• BK Iowa
    5 years ago

We’re getting rid of the LG washer and sidekick. Reluctantly we’re looking for something else and are a little gun shy and thinking about top loaders and looking to Speed Queen now. We had front loading Samsung’s for eight plus years and never one issue. The noise on these are certainly unacceptable, other than that we absolutely love the set.

• gardener123
    5 years ago

BK, what model/year LG did you have? What didn't you like about it?

• chisue
    5 years ago

Is there an argument for buying plain and simple and replacing often? t's not 'green', but knowing these machines are built to fail, can you really win this game?

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

BK, what are the issues you're having with the LGs? My MIL has a set and they are VERY quiet. I've used them numerous times and am very impressed with their performance...My MIL loves them too.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree you will want a large w/d for your big family. But, I'll share what I'm doing just incase it's helpful to you or anyone else.

I wanted the Miele Little Giants based on hearing what tanks they are, but I realized the biggest luxury for me would be to have two sets of w/d so I could run multiple loads at once. I could barely stomach one set, so two was never going to happen. I plan to get two sets of the new Miele twin duo w/d's. I don't have the pricing in front of me, but I remember that two sets don't equal one set of the little giants. It's still a huge splurge, but I think I'll be getting a lot of flexibility with machines that should last as long as I will :) They have a really small footprint so they won't be much bigger than one large set.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Hi Greeny!

• dan1888
    5 years ago

Best as Buiding FTCats says may require two washers. Possibly only a single dryer. Miele is the best.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Hi Mama!

• margie123
    5 years ago

My Samsung top loader starting to rust near the detergent and bleach dispensers in year 4. I also had the direct tv repair man fix it after the exploding lid recall. No more Samsungs for me.

Check to see if you can wash water proof or resistant matress protectors in your washer. The warning sticker Samsung provided indicates these items can not be washed. No rubber backed bathrugs either.

• Vicky Vancleave
    5 years ago

sorry did you say that you had a Direct TV repairmen fix y our washer?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Very happy with our FL LG turbo wash machine and dryer.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Samsung contracted with DirectTV to provide service for a recall on their toploader models that had a propensity for exploding when used improperly for waterproof/water-resistant items. It involved adding a bracket kit to anchor the machine top deck and a stick-on label to change the descriptions of the cycles.

• ifoco
    5 years ago

I have a speed queen front loader in our Fl house. I loved it. I'ts still under warranty.Then I heard they were discontinuing this model so I bought it qucikly In Southern Utah before they ran out.

Personally, I HATE European washing machines. I lived in Europe in the late 70's and the machines were a PITA. Yes they were energy effecient. Not on my energy and time just theirs; government mandates. This house we bought in Southern Utah had an Asco washer and dryer. They looked nice under the counter but oh my god, they took forever to wash and dry and you could only fit a few towels and undies in there. I'm sorry but I have other things to do in my life. I am in the process of having the Speed Queen front loader and dryer installed. They have been sitting in the garage for several months. They however have a 4 year warranty so I'm not too worried. If you want all of the bells and whistles, this is not the machine. If you want something durable that has no plastic parts and can do a large load., look into it. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Inga

• bisondaktelcom
    5 years ago

Our Samsung Front Loader went into No Drain, No Spin Mode. After looking into our problem online, it's apparent that we are in good company. A huge problem for Samsung. Don't go there...

• BK Iowa
    5 years ago

gardener123 - sorry I didn't get notice of your reply, we got the below model (which I believe had rave reviews) however after something like 14 repair techs and even an entire new unit, HD and LG finally agreed to take back the entire set. The entire process was long, painful and frustrating to say the least, painful as in I'd rather general and build another house again before dealing with HD, but that's another story for a different day. Though I loved the sidekick washer, it didn't seem to clean very well at all (bibs and blowouts didn't seem to get very clean). We ended up going with a Speed Queen (After reading the negative reviews on the 2018's, I was able to find a 2017 set after calling something like 20+ dealers, and had to drive 5+ hours to get them). I will say my Speed Queens seem to clean much better, I don't get the sour smell like I did with my LG's. That said, my SQ seems to be much rougher on clothes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-4-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Front-Load-Washer-with-Steam-in-White-ENERGY-STAR-WM3670HWA/207024836