Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peamurray

New garden bed a blank slate!

peamurray
5 years ago

We moved into a new build craftsman style home and the backyard was a 60ft wide rectangle of sod framed by cedars. This spring we have painstakingly carved out the shape for a garden bed. 22 yards of soil is going to be delivered on Monday. Then the fun begins. I have ideas, of course, but am hugely interested in advice from others. Thank you, thank you for suggestions.

P.s. After the planting is finished we will tackle the grass.

Comments (14)

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

What zone are you in? And what direction does the sun travel across the yard?

• peamurray
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh, zone 7a to 8b and the backyard is on the east side of the house. It gets of sun for of the day, though we are in Vancouver and it typically rains a lot. Thanks for asking. Should have mentioned in my original post.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi peamurray, it's pretty already!

I like your curves!

In your honor-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKXxJRgVgc

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

The curve on the left is curving correctly. Go to garden center for plant advice.

I would take those round shrubs out that are blocking the view. Put low growing plants in there, some that will flow over the side.

• peamurray
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yikes! We worked hard carving the curves. The plan is to put red maples at either end and a teddy bear magnolia in the centre curve. Need an array of foundation shrubs. Thanks for the help.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

I like the curved flower bed, it just a little off on the left, can you see what I mean.

There is a straight section, when it should be curved.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Love the curves.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like the curves ... you have so many things lined up straight already, the curves give it more interest. It’ll look a lot different when planted.

Jmo, but you’re already looking at so many shrubs everywhere, I’d do color there. I think a perennial bed would look stunning. Something very natural, a bit wild, and organic to nicely mix with the rigidity of all of the shrubs. And especially to compliment a Craftsman style home. I’d also add in a birdbath, a wood bench, obelisk, stone, or other decorative items. I’d do varying heights—

Another idea at some point, would be a pathway going from the stairs to the center of the bed ... maybe having a bench there or some sort of seating. It would be very inviting and a nice spot to look around.

Whatever you decide, it’s helpful in an area of this size to draw plans. This is an example of a basic way, but I’d measure well and draw it up accounting for mature sizes of plants, colors together, heights, etc.

Hope you’ll update us, would like to see what you decide. :)

• peamurray
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for your thoughtful ideas. I am absolutely a fan of perennials. Was thinking of foundation shrubs to hold interest in the winter months? Maybe not needed? Love the wild look.

• User
    5 years ago

Well, you have plenty of them (shrubs), but you could mix in some smaller ones with the perennials and whatever else. There are some dwarf nandinas, smaller Abelias, and others that have nice winter color. Maybe ornamental grasses, too. All would look nice in front of the green background.

• loobab
    5 years ago

I don't think it is too squiggly at all.

I love the purple-blue-pink spectrum for flowers.

If you will be in your yard at night you want to add a good bit of white as well so they will be visible.

You can put up an arbor as was shown earlier or a lattice and lean it against your fence, or even just get a netting and tack it against your fence.

I think it is a good idea to add things that will open at night and have fragrance at night, like night blooming jasmine which is white and the moonflower (Ipomoea alba) which will open in the late afternoon and stays open all night. You can pair it with morning glory which is a lovely blue and is open in the daytime.

Then you have the sweet peas with their lovely fragrance that come in so many different colors.

night blooming jasmine

moon flower

morning glory

sweet pea

• peamurray
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I too love the purple, blue, pink spectrum. Unfortunately, the contractor put in about 7 golden euonymus in the front yard. Thinking of mixing the yellow with purple lavender or salvia?

Thank you for all ideas. You’ve given me lots to think about.

• handmethathammer
    5 years ago

Don't dismiss grasses. I have some in my landscape that grow pretty tall, have winter interest, and stay tidy in the landscape. They make a good backdrop to more showy flowers.