Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmkbuild

help with master bedroom entrance

lmkbuild
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Stumped on the master entrance. Would you (1) keep the master bedroom door bumped back as shown for a bit of added privacy and more clearance for the stairwell door swing or (2) keep the wall flush with the kitchen for a cleaner look?

Comments (13)

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Not seeing a picture, don't have the door to the bedroom right off the kitchen -

need a bit of a jog.

lmkbuild thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

We need a floor plan

lmkbuild thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lmkbuild
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Floorplan is attached now. Had trouble adding a picture from my phone. THank you

• B Carey
    5 years ago

I agree that the bedroom location isn't very great backed up to the kitchen.

I like doors bumped out of the room, but it looks like you only have 6-12 inches to do that. When a door is bumped out, it should be the full amount of the door in my opinion. So the bump out should be 3 feet or so to be effective (assuming a 30 inch door) or a little more than 2 feet for a 24 inch door. Otherwise, keep it flush with the bedroom wall.

• lmkbuild
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Exactly, the bump out is dinky, creating the dilemma whether it’s worth doing or not. Thanks very much for your input.
  • Kristie Garner
    5 years ago
    I would leave it like it is here.
    lmkbuild thanked Kristie Garner
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

You are making mountains our of mole hills...! :-)

If this is all you have to be concerned about you are a very lucky person. Treat yourself to a nice dinner at a pleasant restaurant.

This is insignificant.

lmkbuild thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Yes, have that jog so you don't see right into the bedroom. Will you be able to move furniture into the room without any problems? Do you need the 2 windows on the one wall. I have similar set up and the one large window is enough light in the room. More windows means more coverings needed. I assume that is the wall you will be putting your bed on.

lmkbuild thanked Angel 18432
  • Tootsie
    5 years ago
    There are lots of doors colliding in entryway to bathroom. Can you replace the door from MB to closet with pocket door? In my life it would be open all the time anyway...
    lmkbuild thanked Tootsie
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

I can't see the closet on the plan?

• chisue
    5 years ago

It's not to safety code to have an in-swing door for a toilet room. Without seeing the whole bathroom, it's hard to solve the 'revolving doors' at the entry. A toilet room benefits from a window. A shower...not so much.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would keep it bumped back. I would also consider spending a few hundred bucks for insulation in the wall between the kitchen and bedroom for extra sound buffering and splitting the double window on the north wall since that is really the best wall for the bed. Putting the bed on the wall with the existing windows is not as comfortable for sleeping as seeing the door from your bed.

I'd also consider eliminating the door to the toilet. There are too many doors in a small space as mentioned above.