Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbusse

I hate my kitchen backsplash

Jennifer
5 years ago
I have totally remodeled my kitchen and everything looks great with the exception of my kitchen backsplash. It looks so grey against my glazed cabinets. I had no idea it would look so grey. It looked creamy in the store. Of course I wasn’t there when it was installed. I thought maybe the store delivered the wrong color! My kitchen is painted yellow and I don’t think that’s helping. The cabinets are painted Sherwin Williams alabaster. The countertop is Granite petrous gold, but it does have grey quartz in it. I feel like everything is a warm color with the exception of the backsplash. Should I rip it out and start over? Should I paint the kitchen? Please give me some suggestions.

Comments (37)

• rubyclaire
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If this were my kitchen, I would start with paint and see how I felt about it then. Certainly easier than ripping out your backsplash. Perhaps one of the more talented posters can photoshop it for you or use one of the apps on Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

Good luck!

• cyc2001
    5 years ago

My monitor may not show the same things you’re seeing in real life. But with that said, it looks like it’s the yellow walls that are out of synch with everything else in the kitchen. The backsplash seems to go with the counters and the cabinets. I’d repaint the walls a coolish creamy color and leave the backsplash. Also, under cabinet lighting may help.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Here's what went wrong

Bad idea to bring the tiles out to meet the front edge of the counter on the side wall. Balance looks off because of that.

No medallion is needed above the cooktop.

You don't need any movement or patterned tiles in the backsplash to fight with the counters.

A creamier tile is a solid color would look wonderful.

• zmith
    5 years ago

I agree with Rubyclaire. The backsplash complements everything in your kitchen. The wall paint looks too yellow for the space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree and you never choose anything like tile or paint in the store without bringing it home to test in your space

• User
    5 years ago

Totally agree with leelee. Plus the wall color is adding to the problem. Too much going on overall.

• skmom
    5 years ago
    I'd have the backsplash taken out if what I'm seeing on my screen is an accurate representation of the space. When I cover up the yellow on the walls, the backsplash ALMOST goes with the counter and cabinets but the yellow on the walls really makes it clash. The yellow on the walls might also still be too bright... it looks great with the countertop and the cabinetry, it's a little iffy with the floors, but it's not horrible with them. But the backsplash and wall color are competing horribly. If you change the wall color, the backsplash still isn't great with the counter and cabinets (too cool and too busy) so I'm afraid I'd have to make the painful decision to change the backsplash. So sorry... it'll be a beautiful kitchen when you're done though!
  • skmom
    5 years ago
    I take that back... the wall color goes just fine with the flooring... it's the backsplash throwing everything off.
  • Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    5 years ago

I would paint the walls alabaster as well. I think reducing the color palette will help.

• leelee
    5 years ago

jbusse,

Yes, you got it right. The backsplash looks gray next to the counters and cabinets. It also has a tonal effect that makes it look like steel tiles. Considering the floors along with the counters your backsplash needs to be a solid color tile.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Way too expensive to redo the back splash.

So you need to down play it.

Change wall color.

Place Colored Canisters on counter up against your back splash. Not Clear Canisters.

Add area rugs on the floor.

I would find a color for the walls that does not compete with other colors in the room.

Bring in color through your accessories.

Take the eye away from the back splash.

• Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Changing the paint color should make a huge difference. I would not have done the side splash, makes the area much darker. Do you have under cabinet lighting?

• tatts
    5 years ago

Undercabinet lighting will improve the situation. That backsplash is just dark and gloomy. But ripping it all out will be a pain, and expensive.

I agree with leelee that bringing it out along the side walls by the stove was a mistake; it ends very awkwardly. That might be an easy fix.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

The wall color you chose, is pretty, but...not with your kitchen. It doesnt compliment anything. It doesnt go with your cabinets, nor the backsplash nor your flooring.. Try something in a lighter blue or aqua, that would actually make your cabinets look so much nicer. Even a light shade of green might be ok (I dont like green, so usually dont suggest it). Something that has a bit of color to it, but, is fairly light. The yellow walls take away from your cabinets, and actually cause them to look yellower than they really are. The backsplash appears to go well with the flooring and even with your countertops.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

you have busy floors, cabs, counter and b/s.... something has to go and obviously and most easily its the b/s. i don't think just paint is going to do it.. the eye has to rest somewhere and now there is no where.

the wall color does not compliment your cabs, here i would go darker not lighter. from your pics u showed, there is not a lot of wall space, so darker is fine and probably welcomed...

pull a color from your counter and get a plain, single shade tile, whatever shape you like just be sure its one color, not varied. no "deco" anywhere, not needed. you have enough going on with the other 3 elements.

best of luck!!

• Fori
    5 years ago

I don't know what you budget is for fixing this....the cheapest would be to rip off the side splash (if possible to do without incurring expensive damage elsewhere), then repaint, then hang some decorative element over the herringbone section of backsplash.

It's hard to know what color the walls are--they look different in the different pictures.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I think you should seriously consider putting in a new plain backsplash. Your cabinets and flooring are lovely. The backsplash is too busy for this kitchen. You are stealing thunder from other, more expensive elements.

• Melissa R
    5 years ago

change the wall color and live with it for months before you waste all the money for a new backsplash.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

As said already, my vote is that it's fine, and seems enough like floor, and in fact there's a huge cool frig near...

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I guess it can be done, with planning and advice.

Pro: "Mix things up with neutrals. Those who like to branch out can mix up their cool and warm colors. This beautiful dining room features a neutral wall color with a cool ceiling color and a warm white trim color. The effect is soothing because the colors are all very muted and soft."

Bridge Street Residence Breakfast Nook · More Info

• friedajune
    5 years ago

I agree with the people who've said to remove the backsplash. One of the mistakes in kitchen design is to want every design choice in the room to have wow impact. But in fact your eye needs a rest from pattern, and, in order to make the thing you most love pop, the other things need to recede.

Only one or two things in a kitchen should be a "wow". But in your kitchen, you chose a glazed cabinet not plain, a movement-y floor not plain, a busy counter not plain, and the very busy backsplash, plus a range medallion to boot. Something has to go, and since the backsplash appears to be the most egregious mismatch, with the most going on, I'd remove it. Replace with a plain subway tile, with grout in a color fairly close to the tile. The tile should have no gradations of color within it, just a solid color. And, no matter what, bring tile samples home before deciding on a color.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

They say SW Alabaster paint on cabs, but mixed... some might say, so subjective, that the floor isn't right, etc. etc....

Beautiful Functionality - Kitchens · More Info

• everdebz
    5 years ago

In person, is the floor much like color of your backsplash? if so, what's the problem? :)

I'd consider painting the walls a soft version of floor /back. Might work that the cabinets will 'show' much more [without the stronger yellow as a focus].

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Board, bedding, shutters, do they 'go'? in Shabby chic I guess so. Add what's personal to you: a mix of neutral in curtains, etc...

Shabby-chic Style Bedroom · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/bedrooms-shabby-chic-style-bedroom-london-phvw-vp~6397609[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bedrooms-shabby-chic-style-bedroom-london-phvw-vp~6397609)

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

I would change the wall colour first ..it would be cheaper !

• leelee
    5 years ago

The problem is that you can see flecks of gray in the counters but only when you're very close. As you stand back a few feet, the creams and golds and browns dominate. Then when you add a tone-on-tone gray backsplash it looks like a total mismatch with the counters.

It remains too busy. It could be so much better. Now is the time to fix it.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

groveraxle, you are amazing!

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I like your backsplash. I really like it! .And your kitchen is a classical beauty with those beautiful stacked cabinets and the gray, greige counters. Try painting the walls first, if you still detest the backsplash then think about ripping it out. I do think you will wind up loving your backsplash when the paint color has changed and you start living in your space. You kitchen is a beauty!

Here are kitchens similar to yours.. soooo pretty just like yours.

Notice the paint color is more gray and less beige... Mayble look for a warm gray.

Spring Parade- Town of Tioga II · More Info

Glenview Renovations - Large, Elegant Green Island · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

• everdebz
    5 years ago

So many have said: paint is the easiest to change / can be 'matched' blended in / using what's been placed, been bought....

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I know design is beyond some of us, but our eyes tell us: when I'm in awe at a creek and the beauty of the stones, I see.... actually I often DON't see their colors, but the peace of it all, the entirety. A kitchen is a place to believe that food, people have a wonderful place in life. I say stop stressing, and make some dressing. hawhee!

If it brings you pain, that's different.

• strategery
    5 years ago

I agree with OP. That looks awful.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

I dont think the counter is helping any either. I think one might have to go - either the counter or the backsplash. They are both busy and fighting each other. But first, I’d paint the walls and see if that is enough to less it. the cabinets and flooring are beautiful.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Yes, you should rip out the backsplash and paint the kitchen.

There is so much going on with the glazing, the raised panel doors, fluting on the bottom cabinet, the pattern in the floors and the busy granite that I think the best backsplash would be just paint. I wouldn't even use a solid color tile splash because that would still be adding a pattern when what you need is some relief from all the chatter.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Remove that side splash - it never should have been installed. And get rid of that yellow paint!! It's outrageously warm, and will do nothing but fight with the gray, and it makes the cabinets look even creamier than they are. Do that first...and then see how things look before considering doing more.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I have to agree about the side splash. Why is it only on one side anyway? That looks a bit lop sided. It actually does look considerably better on the right side than the left side, so it does need to be removed.