Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_flynn60

Need advice on how to replace furniture and decorate my living room!

L
5 years ago
So I have posted on here before but am coming back with a fresh mind. :)
We moved into our house last year and like it for the most part. I just want to make it look nice to the point where we can have guests over and will have a space to be proud of!
I was obsessing for a while about it because decorating and replacing furniture is expensive and whatever we get is going to stay and no redo ! so it better all coordinate and flow! haha. Here is our living and dining combo. our most recent purchase was the couch. it came with the pillows but I am thinking maybe replace them with something a little more modern when we can. I want to replace the coffee table and the dining table.
I posted before about my MIL coming over and replacing our furniture with antiques (the dining set, coffee table and blue wall). Since then boundaries have been set and moving forward. Right after my last post we found out we are pregnant with baby#2! So now the budget that we had has decreased haha which is why I took a break from thinking about it! So now we will have a 6yo and a baby.
My goals are for it to:
Have a cozy and comforting vibe
Look nice when guests come over for dinner
Be kid friendly but still look nice
Modernize some, have a more sleek vibe (maybe it's the coffee table throwing me off)

I want something that I can light a candle and feel cozy during fall, christmas and with a baby! We are a young couple though so also want it to feel like it!
I really like target style. I know its popular and everything that they come out with/coordinate looks great.
Any opinions would be appreciated!
(the random blue wall-not sure what to do about it. I have the original paint color in my garage (if it's still any good) so I could either paint it back or play up the blue wall with paintings or something. Eventually, would like to paint the whole living and dining space. I'm trying to prioritize right now.

Comments (7)

• jck910
    5 years ago

I would paint the entire room navy. Then get a rug.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

If you want more modern then get rid of the very atique looking tables and get something more modern and a rug would help anchor the sofa. I would not paint the whole space navty I like it as is.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

Yes, that would be a great statement room! lets look at this differently. you have a nice neutral couch. it is very inexpensive to change out pillows and curtains.and even the rug can be quite reasonable. so you can change with holidays or seasons or styles. I would exchange the coffee table out.

Mistana Wasser Coffee Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Mirrored Furniture | Joss & Main · More Info

Convenience Concepts 143523 Designs4Comfort™ Accent Storage Ottoman | ATG Stores · More Info
    some choices in tables and ottomans, storage ottomans are not so sharp as tables, but for a quick place to stash young children's toys it is great. I could not tell all the end tables you have.

A couple rugs for you

Mistana Newburyport Grey & Light Blue Area Rug & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

KAS · Harbor · Lagoon · Blue (4216) · More Info

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info
    a couple lamps
    Catalina Brushed Steel 30-Inch One-Light Floor Lamp · More Info

Accent Lighting | Floor & Table Lamps | American Signature Furniture · More Info

Amazon.com: abstract art throw pillows: Home & Kitchen · More Info

Blue Floral Pillows | Joss & Main · More Info

always check mine out on computer, it will give you a spot to click on and go there and i shop very reasonbly.

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

Change out the fan to ceiling hugging very modern or very sleek or very white. Lowe's and HD have literally tons on them that are easily installed for a sleeker look.

Wheelers Hill Project · More Info

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Really nice space.

Like the dark blue accent wall but wouldn't paint the rest of the room dark.

With a baby on the way, you do not want a floor lamp that is easily toppled over by a toddler.

Any tables need to have rounded corners.

If your coffee table legs are removable, then at least by the time your new addition to your family starts to crawl, remove the legs of your coffee table and stow it in a closet or under a bed for a couple of years, replacing it with a storage ottoman with a reversible top that could be used as a coffee table as needed -- and ... you've just gained a toy box.

Consider moving the little lamp to a bedroom and choosing tall thin ones for your living room.

Your room doesn't actually need a rug but if you get one, remember that a rug can be a tripping hazard for a toddler so make sure the edges of any rug you choose cling to the floor well.

Your ceiling fan is attractive and very well suited to your room -- unless you actually WANT it to be the focal point of your room. White is a classic color and a white fan/light against a white ceiling visually disappears. Keep your ceiling fan.

Swap out any pillows you don't like for your sofa -- bag the ones you're not using and put them in a closet for when your toddler wants to play on the floor -- and use pillows that make your space a cheerful and pleasant space for you … then it will be for your guests as well.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What's on the other end of the living room?

A couple of things I'm thinking might be for consideration but won't know until you post more photos.

Living Rm-

• Paint the blue wall the same as the other walls.
    • Buy a can of high heat black spray paint and paint the brass on the fireplace. You'll have to take it apart but it isn't rocket science.
    • New tile on the fireplace surround and hearth.
    • If the TV is in the best spot is it sitting on the mantle or on a wall support?
    • Rather than a coffee table consider a large ottoman which will be more baby and toddler safe. Maybe oval shape.
    • Looks like your side table is too large (sticking out to far). Consider a round side table with an appropriate height lamp. A taller lamp will not only look better it will give you more light.
    • What's that table next to the fireplace that has a lot of cords behind it?
    • Rug as others have suggested.
    • .Address ceiling fan. Is lights necessary on it? If so, then need to see if there are other places for more lamps
    • Review curtains/window treatments after everything else is in place.

Dining Rm-

Looks like you have a white buffet in there? What do you think of painting all the walls in there the dark blue? It will give you a cozy feel. Then either replace or paint the dining table and chairs white. Add a new statement chandelier- perhaps a crystal one to bounce off that candle light :) And an interesting mirror above the buffet to also bounce the candle and crystal chandelier light around the room.

Not the best example but gives you an idea of painting the room all blue with white furniture and wood flooring.

Farmington Hills - Eclectic · More Info