Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_valean

Would you paint/replace or keep interior doors?

C V
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

All room/closet doors and window trims have this color but are in great shape. Walls be painted white and decorated differently, these are pictures from previous owners. I'm just trying to plan what to change before moving. Thank you

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Get a cost estimate for painting out all the doors and trim vs. a cost estimate for replacing and hanging all new doors. I'm guessing the difference won't be significant, since painting doors and trim is pretty labor-intensive. This assumes, of course, the new doors would be pre-painted (otherwise you'd have to spend both the materials cost and the cost to hang/paint).

That said, pre-painted doors tend to be MDF, not solid wood. If these are solid wood doors, I'd paint them.

C V thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I would not paint solid wood doors. Price solid wood paneled doors against MDF solid white doors - chances are the wood ones are more expensive. Wood moves with changes in temp and humidity which can cause hairline cracks in the paint at the joints. Wood doors have lots of joints. That is why most solid core white paneled doors are MDF - much more stable to movement. I have mostly wood paneled, but a few white doors - wood is much easier to upkeep.

Wood paneled doors do look good with white trim. That gives the brightness of white with the warmth of wood. Wood doors are a little classier in my opinion.

Wood doors with white trim:

Beacon St. Residence · More Info

C V thanked jhmarie
  • darralisa
    5 years ago
    Those are really nice doors. At a minimum I would change the hardware. If you hate the color of their current stain/varnish you could strip them and leave them raw for a while. I do not know your style but crystal or black/bronze knobs would be nice. I would consider painting the front door and side lights as well to a fun color in a ocean blue or teal family and add an awesome wool rug.
    C V thanked darralisa
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Just leave them be if you are going to move anyway. Why go through all that time, effort and expense for a buyer who may or may not like them after you paint them?

C V thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • C V
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Diana, sorry if I was not clear,I am the buyer,but did not have the closing day yet. Thanks

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Haha, sorry CV, I didn't realize that you are the buyer! I agree with JHMarie, I think stained wood doors look great with painted trim.

C V thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the ugly door is the front door I would change it, the other doors look like solid wood and usually I am not a big wood lover but I would leave these for a while before doing anything you might regret.

C V thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Christy Burdyshaw
    3 years ago

Hi C V, I live in a house that's almost exactly the same. Did you ever paint the doors? I'd love to see a pic if you did.

C V thanked Christy Burdyshaw
  • C V
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, we did paint everything white. So far no regrets in more than 2 years. This is an img of the front door, pardon the tape, we recently replaced it and still painting the outside. And also an image with the old door, but painted all white around. Let me know if you want to see other pictures with the wood-to-white update

• C V
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am adding also a comparison wood-white from the living room

Also dining room update:

• Christy Burdyshaw
    3 years ago

Thanks very much! We have the same fireplace and I'm considering what to do there. Love what you've done!

• HU-222561199
    3 years ago

Hello. Can you tell me if you painted evrything the same shade of white? With just the doors and trum in a different glossier finish? Or are they different colors.

• C V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, we painted all in a bright white, it's called chantilly lace - Benjamin Moore. Doors and trims are shiny, and the walls matte. (To be more exact it was our intention to paint all the same... The part where the contractor in fact painted some rooms with just the basic white (no chantily lace in it), it's a different story => only pick contractors with very good recommendations from people you know, not 5 star rated from Google!)

• rehmaumair
    3 years ago

Hi
    Just wanted to know did your paint leave any texture on the doors as I am doing exactly the same have painted the whole house white BM chantilly lace and now doing the door and trims it’s lot to change the color of the doors trim baseboards and closets

• L P
    3 years ago

C V, Thank you for posting your comparison pics! Your home is stunning with the Chantilly Lace walls. I have the same wood flooring and have been trying to narrow down which white paint samples to test, and Chantilly Lace has always been in the top two or three. I was afraid it would be too stark, but your house looks lovely. Maybe I will be as lucky since I have similar wood floors and big windows. Your photos are so helpful!

C V thanked L P
  • C V
    Original Author
    3 years ago

rehmaumair, if you really look up close, you can see some texture, you can clearly identify where a roll was used and where a brush was used, but I wouldn't say it's an issue, plus we had a bad contractor, you might be able to get a much better job done. Good luck!