Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyt

Anyone have their front door in a corner?

brodyt
5 years ago

We are going to be pouring sidewalks and I need opinions on what path to make the sidewalk. Straight? Curved slightly? Off center? Show me yours!

Comments (15)

• chispa
    5 years ago

Move it away from the house ... if your gutters get clogged or overflow with too much rain, the water will pour right over people walking on the path.

Do you live in a snowy area ... again, snow/ice could slide off right on top of people and the path.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

You need a good landscaping plan...! :-)

• User
    5 years ago

We have a similar situation, except the garage is directly to the right of the front entry. Years ago, a former owner had really good gutters installed. There is one leak around the entire run(gutters completely encircle the house)---you guessed it. The inside corner at the front door.

Where is the driveway/guest parking? Right or left?

I think, in your case, I'd put the sidewalk at the right end of the porch, if the drive is on that side. If the drive/parking uis to the left, the downspout on the front needs to be routed underground and the side walk located about 3' in front of the house, curving around to the porch, leaving the space of the overhang clear(flowers/landscaping) so leaks/overflow from rain does not fall on the side walk. That is going to look a bit awkward, so hopefully parking is to the right.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I would widen the walk at the porch to give a variety of entry points in case of gutter failure.

• strategery
    5 years ago

Depends where the driveway is.

• Matthew
    5 years ago

I agree with Virgil a good landscape plan. It was money well spent for us. I wanted a plan with a full material list. I did all the work myself, but with a good plan I knew exactly what to do and needed. The expert picked the best plants to work in the areas, which I had no experience. Our plan was for 3 sides of the house with front walk design and patio design and only cost $350. Some garden centers or nurseries will also deduct the plan cost if you buy plants from them too.

• Kim Weaver
    5 years ago
    My front door in a corner
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

The OP also needs splash blocks at the base of every downspout to carry the water away from the house foundations.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

In small space between walkway and garage - many plantings in there will look crowded / squished imo.

• lookintomyeyes83
    5 years ago

I don't like Mark's squared off path as I know I would never follow it. Pathways are ideally straight lines, and when straight lines aren't possible, straight-segments, OR a gentle curve is most likely to be used. (Otherwise I just say hell with it and walk on the grass). A gently curving path around a corner/bend also feels more ergonomic and less abrupt.

• Apolonia3
    5 years ago

I agree with lookintomyeyes, a curved pathway.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

It was a conceptual diagram not to be taken too literally.

• brodyt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our driveway is on the left of the original photo. I know we need a landscape plan, as I'm getting an idea of what I want now. Thanks for your opinions!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Your question about a sidewalk should include concepts and options for all of the landscaping in your front yard.

Anyone can pour some concrete here or there. The bigger picture is what does the entire front yard look like and how does it function. A walk way is only part of the picture.

You really need someone of talent to give you a landscaping plan which includes, among other things, a front walk.

Good luck on your project.