Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alobsing

Condo design dilemma- This ugly thing needs help and love!

alobsing
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello! My project is a small condo (700 sq ft) in prime WA ski country. We are a young family- husband and I are in our early 30's with two kiddos under two. We'd love this place to be clean, fun- Scandinavian vibe. Simple but more "fun" than our Seattle home. It is a vacation get-away. Eventually we will do a full kitchen/floor renovation but for now we just want to make this space the best we can with decor/furnishings. My first thought is to paint the whole room one color (looking at Creamy SW) because it's a north facing room and I'd love to brighten it up. The brown kitchen cabinets and fireplace kind of kills me. We'll be buying a nice new sectional (eyeing this in a neutral/greige: https://www.sleepersinseattle.com/product/fabric/true-corner-sectional/soho-true-sectional-3-cushion-queen-sleeper-lazar/) and a new coffee table (ideally round/not wood) but I'm open to ideas. I need help with design in terms of colors of couch, curtains, lighting fixtures, shelving/storage, general decor. I love the idea of popping some shade of blue in there since it's a creek side mountain condo and it reminds me of the water outside. Mostly I just need ideas of how to make this small space look bright/clean/more modern. I know I'll be working with a nice clean slate once all this awful furniture is gone and the walls are painted.

Pinterest Board

Comments (10)

• alobsing
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree- we're going back and forth on the sectional. It's a "small space" sectional and we love the idea of fitting the whole fam- but I agree- it'll be a lot of sofa!

We do have a locker down the hall for skis. :)

What you can't see behind that living room door is a bedroom, bunk nook, a bathroom & a large closet right off the front door when you walk into the place. That's where we'll hang up wet clothes.

• latifolia
    5 years ago

Like your idea of the cream walls. Are you planning to make the fireplace your focal point? That could work well in a ski condo. A sofa and chairs give you more flexibility than a sectional.

Where will your two babies sleep? They’re probably too young for the bunk beds, so will the two year old use the sleeping sofa?

Have you considered just going to IKEA? That would be a quick and easy way to get the fun, Swedish vibe, and you won’t have to worry what the kids do to the furniture.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Liking the patio doors; hope the deck is large enough for chairs.

W/two kiddos under two, invest in a couple of really comfortable recliners for the two of you and some well made fabric covered bean bag chairs for the kiddos.

Also invest in a set of "conference" chairs with wheels that could double as either dining chairs or guest seating.

Something like these:

http://lilliansmith.org/octagon-kitchen-table/octagon-kitchen-table-awesome-octagon-dining-table-by-inc-wolf-and-wolf-furniture-octagon-kitchen-glass-octagon-kitchen-table/

Repaint the space all in one neutral pastel color you like. Definitely lose the green accent wall.

Since you'll be tracking in snow, choose something other than carpet for your flooring -- perhaps tile -- something that can withstand moisture.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Keep small homes uncluttered. Use undersized pieces. If you fit well in a ladies' (smaller) recliner, consider on in lieu of two huge ones.

A sectional will limit your furniture placement.

No one actually likes sitting on a seat without arm rests for an extended time.

If one part of a large sectional becomes worn or stained or torn -- ruined -- Most of your seating is ruined; whereas, with individual chairs, you can haul one off to the dump and not be without seating.

Go vertical with storage to get the most storage for the floor space used.

Dark colors will shrink your space; neutral colors will lighten it and make it feel more airy and open and larger.

An upholstered storage ottoman with a flip lid that can also serve as a coffee table can do the work of three pieces -- make great toy storage, too, as long as you're careful to choose the right lid. If there is a hinge that keeps the lid on, make sure it will hold the lid up if lifted by toddlers rather than slam down on little fingers.

• kay kin
    5 years ago

Hard to look at this space & imagine, the green wall is a 'debbie downer.' The TV remains in place? I would...obviously lighted the walls, resurface the fire place in a white washed wood, use a small space sectional (even if it encroaches on the slider), use similar wall color drapes- hung next to the ceiling, The tv could be regulated to a less obvious spot- shelving unit next to the fireplace, not large- just enough to contain the one-eyed monster. Blue would be your accent color: pillows throw, ottoman, 6x9 rug over the carpet. No mention of a dining table? A skinny drop down live edge wood slab table with black iron legs & ditch the bar seating. Place down for family, up for party. granted a custom piece.. might as well paint the kitchen cabinets too. good luck!

• nbadawi
    5 years ago

I found these pictures on houzz that may help you for some inspiration.

You should also check out this popular designer/blogger Emily Henderson who currently is in the process of renovating a mountain/lake home she recently purchased . She plans to design the whole home in the scandinavian mountain style. I really recommend you check out her blog to get ideas of styles and products.

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/

Mountain Getaway in Engelberg, Switzerland · More Info

• Molly
    5 years ago

Are there other condos for sale in the buildings? I’d take a peek at those photos to see what others have done. I’d get rid of the recliner, it’s really too large. Instead of a sectional, I’d get a sofa with a chaise at the end near the slider (a lot are interchangeable so the chaise can be at either end). Maybe create a built in seating area where the tressel table is now.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I think that sectional is really nice for your space. There are lots of sectional haters on this site, but many of us who have them, love them. It's a nice scale and will give you lots of lounging space, as well as seating without so many arms (as with sofa + chairs) taking up space.

You could probably (it looks like it) add an armchair or small recliner if you want one, where the wood armchair is now (by the sliding door).

Not sure what color you're thinking but that green in the ad is yummy and would look nice in the forest setting. Maybe an upholstered chair in a print with green an blue to bring in the water element you want - also pillows and rug to bring them all together.

Have fun!

eta: I see in rereading you're thinking of greige for the sectional. If you want it to be more fun than your home, I'd rethink that and commit to a color. Something that would be more fun on a dark, dreary day than greige.

From your Pinterest board...look how yummy and fun this color is - this would warm you up on a cold, snowy day:

• efayen
    5 years ago

I used this pic as an inspiration for our little condo. Maybe you could "fun" this up!

Apartment Interior Fitout by studioJLA · More Info