Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missi_rogge

Kid's BR layouts, clothing storage, take a closet for kitchen flow

Missi (4b IA)
5 years ago

After spending forever on my phone typing out a thread b/c the picture is on my phone and Houzz deciding to freeze, I will do it on my laptop instead.

SO. The kids each have their own bedrooms. Our daughters closet creates a bump out into the kitchen so that two walls do not actually meet in the corner, they're split. I would like to take the closet out so that we may continue the cabinets/counter to the corner and create better kitchen flow. I have a thread on this from a couple weeks ago, and I have already spoken w/the appraiser who assures me it would not affect our 3 BR classification as long as the room has a window and designated clothing storage. I have also looked it up online and my state does not dictate the specifications for bedrooms/closets, it is left up to the individual counties to decide if they want to and mine does not.

My bedroom growing up was twice as big as the kids' rooms, and my closet was over three times the size of our son's closet. I had no shortage of space. Trying to figure out where to put things in these small bedrooms is a nightmare. (When I was pregnant, I had to be careful how I walked around the bed b/c there's *just* enough room to walk normally and you add in a baby belly hooooo it was a chore) What I would like to do is just get rid of the kids' dressers and make some sort of built in clothing storage or something along the lines of an Ikea Pax system. (Ikea is 4 hours away so not sure if that's an actual option or not, but something similar) Along one full wall, take part of two walls and meet in a corner, go under a window, (which would be nice so there'd be a spot to set a couple things if needed), whatever, I'm open.

Our daughter wants to switch rooms, so that she would be in the room w/the bigger closet and our son would be in the room that is potentially losing the closet. She is 14 going on 15 and he is 11. She would like to have a vanity area, regardless which room she ends up in.

They both have twin beds currently. (but I am thinking to do twin XL for each of them b/c they're going to need the length) Hers is a trundle and needs to have space for the trundle to be pulled out. His is a 5 million pound solid wood bed my husband made.

The closet potentially being eliminated is the one bottom left. If anyone has any thoughts on where to put storage, the beds and such, please lay em on me. Thank you!

Comments (43)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Any photos of the rooms to share? We come up with lots of ideas, but they aren't always do-able, and pix are most helpful so we can relate better to the rooms. I will say that it is proven that the most restful, secure sleep is attained when the bed is opposite the door. Does that kick start your plans?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep, I can sure take pictures later on this afternoon!

Opposite as in kitty corner or opposite like directly across from?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daughters room

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

last corner and the area that is a dumping ground. (where the access is to the bathroom tub/shower pipes)

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

son's room

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

last corner

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Multi-purpose Storage furniture.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

She currently has a bed w/a trundle and drawers on the bottom of the trundle. His bed has storage underneath as well. I use it for clothes that don't fit until the resale shop is ready for them, and blankets. I love multipurpose furniture. Whatever we do for her vanity, I'll do an ottoman type deal for her to sit on where the lid comes off and she can store blankets etc.

• User
    5 years ago

This would be your daughters room without the closet hence you remove the tall chest and purchase a tall wardrobe that you would be able to place at the end of the bed

• Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

What's the kitchen look like? How large is it? What if you bumped the kitchen out the other way giving your daughter a bigger closet and you a small pantry at the end of the closet run?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The is Claire I like that. I’d probably do something to the end of the wall and possible around that river a bit and take the one away to the right of the bed so the trundle can come out. That looks nice. I tried to do it on the IKEA planner but they do r have bedroom options so I had to use adjustable size washers to make the bed area ahahahahaha

this is the kitchen. The bedroom is directly behind it. We will have a pantry type area where it says garage space, around 4x11’ or so.

• User
    5 years ago

I don’t see you having a problem closing up the bedroom closet to make room for kitchen cabinets as long as it doesn’t interfere with the exterior

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

shouldn't, unless my husband or dad get too crazy taking the parts of the walls out! The hard part will be getting them to understand why this is a good idea.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Make yourself a set of graph paper cutouts for Twin XL beds and the sizes of any furniture you are thinking of buying. Sliding them around on your graph paper plan can be very helpful. Drawing to use twice as many squares as you are using now would also help.

It's interesting that both tween and teen have the double dresser and chest of drawers pair that were once expected to serve two people in master bedrooms. Today's teens, on the average, have many more clothes than adults used to have way back when.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the dressers the kids have are the...I don't know what size they are but they're smaller than ours. Not quite little kid size, in between baby furniture and grown up I suppose. The drawers aren't near as deep either so not much fits in them. But-all of my son's clothes are in his dresser w/the mirror. That's it. His closet has my coats and some of my clothes, my wedding dress..Neither of the kids have a ton of clothes. Daughter has more, no surprise haha.

I found these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3QSH51/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_U_x_xrbsBbNAPYC3S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVXPKSR/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_U_x_GqbsBb611Y1HQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOR1KNG/ref=cm_sw_r_pi_dp_U_x_VHbsBb2EEXHD9

• User
    5 years ago

Those are nice closet options

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Not too tiny rooms...bigger than I had growing up.

Think about full size beds rather than xl twins....

We recently stayed in an Airbnb in a tiny room. The head of the bed with centered on the short wall. The bed was facing (from left to right on opposite wall) ikea pax closet, dresser, same ikea pax closet. The tv was on the dresser. Nightstands either side of the bed.

I found this to be more than adequate. And I think your son would, too. Kids lounge on the bed to do everything anyway, and while a full isn't as long as twin xl, your son probably (or will) sleeps either crosswise or with his feet hanging over the bottom.

Also, because the closet/dresser combo took up the whole wallspace, and also because it matched, it felt bigger than it would have with just the dresser. It had the built-in feeling which is what I think works better in a small room.

Your daughters room, I would still have a full size bed, but I would put it on the window wall and cover the wall with drapes...she'll love it. Dresser next to closet.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The kids would love to have full size beds! If I could manage it so that my daughter had a bed raised up high enough to fit a twin trundle under that could slide out and still have bedding/pillows on it when it's under, that would be ideal. I sleep in her room, so I need to have a bed. (My husband is a cop and I can only take so much nightly interrupted sleep, and add in the worst snoring on the planet-not a winning combo) She doesn't want a bunk bed. Actually a full size loft bed w/a twin under, and steps at the end of it rather than a ladder, so there's no worry about space for sliding a bed in and out, would be ideal.

• User
    5 years ago

I hear you...we split up when one of us is sick so I get it.

I assumed the trundle was for kids sleepovers and I figured they could share.

So have the other wall for the bed(s) and the dresser across. Here's the first full with trundle that I saw

https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pdp/harriet-bee-alanna-full-platform-bed-with-trundle-hbee2594.html?PiID%5B%5D=22223635&source=hotdeals

She would have room for a tiny nightstand--total would be about 100 inches leaving her 23 inches and she won't need to get to the closet when the trundle is out, right?

If she likes the wall of drapes look to hide the asymmetry of the window, Ikea is great for inexpensive drapes that might go to the ceiling depending on height (they sell drapes without hems and supply iron on tape...

• User
    5 years ago

Are you sure about a loft bed? They're horrible to make, but your daughter may be neater than mine were.

I think (think..so just from what I see) full size loft beds are lower? Maybe to do with something something physics something size of bed and supports something. :)

You could probably fit a twin underneath, but only if you're okay with it. I would be sure the bed would collapse on me and I would have panic attacks over the lack of space.

Normal people probably would be okay with it, though :)

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bhahahahaha I, too, would probably lie awake and stare in the dark up at the bed above me, waiting for the bed and my lovely daughter to come crashing down on me.

And actually, she just had me help her get the fitted sheet on after washing it the other day sooo a loft bed probably isn't the best idea.

• User
    5 years ago

Your kids bedrooms are going to be so cute and..grownup. I love smaller spaces.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! Boy I sure hope so! She's been looking thru my pinterest at what I've got for vanity ideas. I'd kind of like to find a desk or something and refinish it together for it. My son is excited that he gets to help plan his room too. He's planning a "cabin" theme.

I found this bed frame and I think it's tall enough to slide a trundle under. I could get a quilt/blankets bigger than the frame so it hangs down over..or I guess a bed skirt.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes. You need to look for "fitted bedspread" They're the ones that, when on, are even all the way around. There are both tailored ones and ones with ruffles depending on the look she likes...

See how there's no corners to trip on? Plus they have the seam around the top so it's easy for kids to line up and get the bed decent-ish looking.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nice! That's a slick idea, thanks! I messaged Wayfair about that bed and they said a trundle wouldn't fit under it. Will keep looking.

Getting antsy, tired of the whole--we need to do this before we can do this, so then we can do that, which means we can get that done and THEN we can do this other thing over here. 'Bout ready to just tear the trim off, rip up the carpets myself, and get a hammer to put some holes in the closet I want to take out!

• User
    5 years ago

Do it. It's part of the prep and has to come out anyway. Once it's drywalled you can carry on with the room....

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

maybe that will be the kick in the be-hind someone needs...ooooorrr else I'll end up w/a bedroom open to the kitchen for 6 months, seeing as how the pantry still doesn't even have the drywall fully taped and mudded..and it's been in process since Christmas...hahahahahahahaha

Time to crack the whip

• User
    5 years ago

My daughter has this one from Ikea...it's plenty tall enough to fit a trundle..and it's very pretty.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79007697/#/S49007694

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like that a lot, thank you!

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

It sounds as if you are storing some things in their bedrooms that don't need to be in there. Maybe you should start with those things and get them out of the kid's rooms. Then they could use the storage for their own things.

If your 11 year old son has enough clothes to fill up both that dresser and the other chest of drawers----he has way tooo many clothes for a young one who is growing and unlikely to be able to wear the same clothes one year from now. He would probably be able to have a closet to hang things and that one chest of drawers and you could get rid of the large mirrored dresser.

Beware of any bed where the mattress sits down into a frame. It is like changing the sheets of a giant adult sized baby crib! I have an Ikea bedframe up in the grandkids room at my house. It is almost impossible to change the sheets or make the bed. I got it from someone who was moving. It is one that you can configure into a bunk bed or two other different configurations. I cannot imagine how you would ever get the sheets on it if it were in a bunk mode! I have it at a height that is more of a loft bed height.

Is your house, perhaps, a manufactured house? It has the sort of "vibe" about it.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have blankets under his bed and the things that I'm waiting to take to the resale shop b/c they only accept twice a year for the next seasons. As I said previously, he has NO clothes in the big dresser. A few of the drawers have my clothes in them. His things are in the four small drawers and three of the longer drawers on the mirror dresser. That's all he has. I'm not sure what you think I have in these rooms? Regardless, it shouldn't matter if I'm storing the crockpot and the christmas tree in there-if I'm asking for storage ideas and layout help, I'm asking for storage ideas and layout help, and it's not up to anyone else to tell me what I should and should not have in a room-I go through our entire house FOUR times a year, through closets, drawers, cabinets, all of it, to purge.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

You asked for thoughts on where to "put storage,the beds, and such". My thought is to reduce the storage needs in the rooms as much as possible.

If your kids need the room for themselves, the only way is to get out the stuff that does not belong to them.

One of the hardest things about getting rid of things is what to do with them after you have sorted them out. Making that pile of stuff is easy. Hauling it off is not that easy. Not all charities and resell venues depend on the season. Maybe you can find one that does not require only seasonal donations. Most charity venues have no such requirement. And, it sounds as if storing the purged items is on your list of things that are causing you to seek more storage. So, that is an easy solution to one of your stated problems.

My kids had very small rooms. They are hardly big enough for a twin bed and a small chest of drawers, you could not even put a full sized bed in there and still be able to walk around. Certainly, there was no room in there for anything but them and their things.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am a chronic organizer and go-through-er of the things. I know the drill like the back of my hand. If you can still tell me the kids have too many clothes when you understand that we've got four separate seasons, and that my son's five pairs of shorts, which are used for casual, work out, swim, working in the yard, and also sleeping, 6 months out fof the year are too many, then quite frankly I think you're delusional, and I trust that you, yourself, also only have three outfits for the year. Or that since we don't have a coat closet, we should just...what..keep our winter weather gear on the couch for spring and summer? The purged item storage is minimal on a rotating basis-a totes worth, which I take to the shop during her window, and as I collect it, during her window, about 2-3 months, twice a year. Hardly a deal breaker, and it gives us credit for things we my need to purchase there. If you and your kids lived a monastic life, and that worked for you, that's fabulous. We hardly live the life of wanton packratery that you seem to think we do.

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@pennydesign I measured where the vent is under the window in her room, and we could wall off the closet, put a twin XL on each side and a small table/stand between. With taller frames, I can slide storage for folded things under both beds. Then I can go from the end of the one bed to the corner and over toward the cold air return by the door for hanging storage and a vanity. Once we are able to install something in the living room for outerwear/shoes, those can come out of the rooms as well, which will help. If we do the same thing in his room with the two beds, there's no room for a vanity for her b/c of the location of the closet and the BR door. She wants the vanity, so I think she will stay in her room.

• User
    5 years ago

So she'll be in the room to the left?

I'm still voting for full size beds... :)

Consider a shelf for a "vanity" instead of a proper piece of furniture. Mirror on the wall...simply stool (ikea makes stools with storage that I've put casters on before)

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yep, the one on the left w/the closet in the bottom left corner. I have to tutor a couple kids now but when they're done I'll bust out the measuring tape again and see how things work out in there. She didn't like the idea of bunk/loft beds b/c she worries about what if she's sick in the middle of the night...and I'm a two-three times a night peer, so no way am I going up and down a ladder or stairs ha! I will see if a twin will fit to pull out with walking space from under a full size-otherwise she's walking on my bed any time she gets up if it's not back underneath.

Definitely a mirror on the wall and stool/ottoman storage. We'd talked before about just doing a piece of wood attached to the wall for the vanity and she liked that. Can get those little rubbermaid plastic things w/the pull out drawers to put her make up in, and I gave her some cute little colored metal buckets I got in the dollar aisle at Target that she uses as well. hooks to hang them on the wall maybe..

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

So, this space is meant to serve both you and your daughter?

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For now, yeah. My husband is an officer, so his hours change, and he keeps his phone w/him at night, to answer texts/calls from his guys. Also his snoring is outlandish. (not to mention he keeps the door shut so the cats don't sleep in there and I enjoy the girls sleeping w/me)

• User
    5 years ago

Missi, have you thought about taking the master bedroom for you and your daughter, and giving your hubs the smaller room?

This isn't an unusual situation. Lots of parents give up their bedroom and put three kids in the larger while they take the smaller. Friends of mine did it, but she had nine kids. They made the living room a bedroom/living room for them because they stayed up later and it freed up an extra room. Someone here had their kids in the living room (temp digs) and they took the tiny tiny bedroom while they saved up to buy a house.

If your master is larger, it makes more sense for 2 sleepers to be in it....furniture can be moved, and paint can be neutral. Unless you hubs is difficult, i.e. a MANDAMMIT!! he'll see the logic in this. :)

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have considered it! What I run into is-his room has one wall w/the living room, two outside walls, and the fourth wall is the closet butted up to son's bedroom closet in son's room. So just the one wall w/a regularly used room. Son's has the bathroom. Daughter's has the bathroom, living room and kitchen. The living room at least is a "quieter" room to be next to-there's no cabinets or pots and pans, shower, flushing, water running etc. If he was in the kids' rooms and had been off work only a couple hours and the three of us were using the bathroom trying to get ready for school, or in daughters room and we were in the kitchen getting lunches/breakfasts..ugh. We don't tiptoe around, nor is there excessive craziness in the morning but still, it's loud.

He would balk at moving. His room *is* a skosh bigger, however! (enough that all of her clothes and all of mine would fit in it, and I wouldn't have to store them in the hall closet and our son's room, *and* she could still have a small vanity) Personally, it makes sense to me for all of us to round robin it-he go to son's room, son's to daughter's room, and daughter and I go to his room. He could put the bed against the exterior wall that faces the neighbor, under the window, which would put it as far away from the bathroom as possible, or under the other window, which goes to our backyard, tho it would be a bit closer to the bathroom. Round robin makes the most sense.

Positive it would be a no-go. Not that I won't try tho!

• Missi (4b IA)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No-go. He wants me to come back in-says it's too weird to be married and not sleep together. Which I get, but there's got to be some actual *sleep* happening and not me grabbing my pillows and stumbling to our daughter's room in the middle of the night.

I'm going to make a list of things I need done and find a handyman. She's a freshman this year for crying in a bucket-at this rate she'll be going to college and no point in doing all of this for her.

• User
    5 years ago

Maybe he's using his argument to get you back in there...

He's probably exhausted and doesn't have the time to tackle too much home improvement. And you sound busy.

I think a handyman is a good idea. Have you tried Task Rabbit?

I tend to look on Craigslist but people hate that. I'm a pretty good judge of character, though. And I can do a lot (I can use a miter saw, in other words...) So I would do it myself, but I have more time than money.

Job one would be take a sledgehammer to whatever's going. Then it HAS to get done :)

(my first thought was actually to reward him for moving...If I suggested it, my hubs would be all moved out before I could finish the sentence. They're like puppies, sometimes..Gotta love 'em)

Anyway. Check Task Rabbit. If it's too big a job for that, find someone by word of mouth and get an estimate. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.