Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia_atkinson37

How to decorate blank wall with cathedral ceiling and no fireplace/TV

Lydia Atkinson
5 years ago

Hello, I would love to hear opinions on what I could do with this wall. The below mirror is at my disposal, but I'm not sure if that's right. The across wall is a large fireplace and TV/shelving. Attaching those pictures and also others of mirrors I have immediately at my disposal. Would love any advice/opinions you have! Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

I would use a wide painting centered over the sofa, something that you never tire of seeing and it makes you happy when you walk in the room. There are tons of art sites from which to choose. I prefer outdoor scenes by good artists but any art that you like would be appropriate.

Lydia Atkinson thanked Yayagal
  • Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just posted a picture of what the other part of the room looks like. You're right that the TV is not worth reflecting. Do you think the best idea would be to find a large piece of art to anchor the room in the middle and balance out the TV/fireplace, with smaller pieces around it? Or would a large gallery wall be okay?

• Olychick
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think you could do something more interesting than the mirrors. I'd probably look for a large piece of art, maybe a triptych or a grouping of several complementary pieces.

eta: your new pic shows a large pic that might be worth trying there, even just for scale. Would any of the mirrors work there if you decided to switch them out?

• deegw
    5 years ago

Your ceilings are not really that high, don't worry about decorating all of the tall wall. I read here once that if you decorate nicely at the people level, your tall ceiling will make your space look nice and airy, not bare.

I would do one or two big items like Olychick posted, there is not need to decorate the whole wall.

Add some texture, color and height variation to your side table and coffee table and it will help anchor your "people" space.

• deegw
    5 years ago

Here is a rough photoshop with some things grabbed from the Houzz shopping site. You really won't need much to make that part of your room look put together.

Lydia Atkinson thanked deegw
  • Lydia Atkinson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh that's really cool how you did that! Thank you!

• deegw
    5 years ago

You're welcome! It's pretty easy. It's a Houzz gadget.

Press the "Your Houzz" icon on the upper right of the Houzz screen.

Scroll down and click "create new sketch".

Click "upload photo" on the upper right of the page.

Drag your living room photo to the box then click "upload".

Then click the "products" icon on the top. Select a product and it pastes the item on your photo.

Lydia Atkinson thanked deegw