Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Shower niche with removable shelves?

Jane
5 years ago

I’m thinking about adding a tall niche to my tiny shower to gain more elbow room. If I make it around 3 feet tall (by about 14” or 22” wide depending on what I find in the wall), the soap bottles will be dwarfed by the height. If I add shelves, you lose elbow room. So I am considering the option of removable shelves.

How to I construct the niche to provide sufficient support for removable shelves?

I thought I could add corner round ceramic tile as shelf supports on the sides so that shelves could slide in, but I’m worried that the shelf weight would break the tile off the walls. Could I support it with 90 degree corner flashing underneath? Or some other kind of metal piece that could either be hidden or decorative?

I have a piece of 3/8” corian that I could make 2 detached shelves out of. It’s a bit heavy. Or maybe I could find some clear acrylic.

Planning to use white 3x6 subway tile with white grout for most of the shower and niche.

Another option is to buy premade suction cup caddies, but those don’t get good reviews. Also trying to optimize aesthetics.

Any ideas? (I really haven’t thought this through, so construction details would be welcome. I have seen the niche done with backerboard/tile, but have not explored construction of shelf supports.)

Comments (5)