Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_zetterberg

GE Advantium vs Miele CSO

Karen Zetterberg
5 years ago

I'm having trouble deciding between a GE Advantium and a Miele Steam Oven. We eat roasted chicken or fish and steamed vegetables. Which do you think would serve our needs best?

We will also have a 36 in range.

Comments (13)

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

Same story, following...

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Two very different appliances. I have both a speed oven and a cso. The cso ‘s superior results having me using that way more then the speed oven. Love th beaked potato in the speed oven though. Maybe if I used more frozen food the speed oven would be good. But I don’t really freeze much.

• Karen Zetterberg
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Zalco, thank you for responding. can you tell me what you cook in the cso and why you find it better cooked in the cso vs an advantium or regular convection oven?

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

I'm not a fan of microwave anything anymore, so I'd choose the CSO. When I redid our kitchen 2 years ago, the microwave did not make it back into the kitchen (that was scary at the time!). We put in a CSO and it is used a lot. Everything from reheating (you'll think you're eating fresh made) to roasting (I did an amazing turkey last Christmas) to fish and veggies.

• Karen Zetterberg
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sherri, I only have the room for an extra 30" convection oven or a 24" steam oven. Do you think having 1 24" steam oven is enough?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

You might want to ask this question on the cooking forum. Plllog over there has an Adventium and a CSO and is a super star cook, so she really knows what she is talking about.

For me, I have both as well, but I am not a super star cook. I just love the results with the CSO. I have not spent much time with the speed oven as a result- I am not a microwave fan anyway and it didn't seem worth the trouble of learning in light of how good the CSO was (I got the speed oven for the sake of symmetry.)

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

I have a 30" convection oven plus a CSO. I use my CSO 90% of the time. You have a range, right? So you already have a "regular oven". You know what your cooking requirements are, but if you don't need a 2nd full sized oven, I'd say get the CSO. I will tell you that I've probably used my CSO more in the 2 years since it's been installed than I did my "regular oven" in the 10 years prior. Your experience may be different, of course. Love my CSO.

• Buehl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't have a CSO, but I do have a speed cook oven...in my case, a GE Profile Trivection Double Oven (convection and speed cook on top oven, convection on the bottom oven). I use it all the time and love it!

• 20-minute baked potatoes with crispy skin
    • baked chicken in about half the time -- although I often just use the lower convection oven b/c I'm baking potatoes in the speed cook oven! (convection is about 2/3 the time of a regular oven)

I'm sad it's been discontinued b/c when we build again I would have liked to get it again. I'll be looking at other speed cook options.

Do you have a range with an oven? If not do you have another oven elsewhere?

If you do have another oven (range or wherever), is it a convection oven? If you don't get the speed cook, I strongly recommend convection in the other oven. (Ovens in ranges can also come with convection - my old GE Profile range from 1995 had it.)

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

Buehl, you should check out the combi steam ovens. Last night we had crispy skin baked potatoes (I think it was about 25 minutes) and the CSO's make the best crispy skinned, juicy chicken that you'll make..... also in much less time. And if you have anything left over? The CSO makes it taste like it's just been made.

Karen Zetterberg thanked sherri1058
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Do let us know what you decide.

Karen Zetterberg thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • lucky998877
    5 years ago

Karen, what did you choose?

• dredfunk
    5 years ago
    We recently started using a Miele CSO and appreciate It’s versatility. Although I can’t compare it to a speed oven, it can do so many different things well, from cooking hard-boiled eggs, pasta, rice, roasted chicken, veggies, baking, heating leftovers , as well as, or than, any individual or combination of appliances that we’ve used before. The microwave’s main function now is to occasionally make popcorn or warm items in a hurry. We’re still learning how to use it, as there are many functions to explore, but it is the #1 go to appliance in our kitchen now.