Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelcoqui

What's with these extremely high kitchen faucets

joelcoqui
5 years ago

I need a faucet that's going on a center Island as the main sink area. These extremely tall faucets are such an eyesore and aren't really convenient because they are already making the sink depth so deep for large pots. Water splashes everywhere because of the height.Any suggestions?

Comments (23)

• randy427
    5 years ago

Any pictures?

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

I second that. There are many faucet options out there.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pictures of what? All the faucets on the market? I think I found three of them that are under 14 in high.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Have you considered a pull out faucet? Those tend to be shorter.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Based on your responses you are not understanding what we are asking. We are asking for pictures of what you ALREADY have seen so we can figure out your style, etc. Those are the pictures we are asking for.

Try Googling low profile kitchen faucets; there a hundreds of options.

if they say goose neck they are not for you based on you statements so far.

Reason to pick a tall faucet is so tall pots etc fit comfortably underneath.

YES>>>>YES>>>>YES

NO>>>>>>>>>NO>>>>>>>No

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Delta-Leland-Single-Handle-Pull-Down-Kitchen-Faucet-with-ShieldSpray-9178-DST-Chrome/9540217/product.html#details.

Don't know how to attach, sorry. Looking for something like this. This one may be too cheap for me.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Shannon under 14" are usually bar/prep faucets. Looking for pull down sprayer spout. Hard to find but I found a few more with the arch design. There are plenty in the pull out sprayer though. But thanks for your input.

• randymwagner
    5 years ago

Is there really a functional advantage for the high arc design? I have heard it explained that it helps to fill tall pots. With an 8" deep sink and a 10" high arc I can fit an 18" pot under there. (The only time I would need such a tall pot is to boil lobsters, which is about once in never). So you fill the pot to within 2" of the rim, then how do you get the pot out of there without tilting it and dumping half the water?

Or is this just a design statement to give the impression that my residential kitchen is a commercial restaurant kitchen?

• M Miller
    5 years ago

@Randymwagner - you’re reading too much into it. It’s like how you choose a countertop or backsplash - you choose what appeals to you, what is in your budget, and what you believe is made well for the price. If you like a tall faucet because it looks proportional to your kitchen size, the size of your sink, or it’s location, then get a tall faucet. The OP’s taste is for something shorter (which can be found easily despite the OP’s difficulty). Many people equate faucets to wearing jewelry with the rest of your outfit. People don’t say my cool faucet must mean my home kitchen is now a commercial kitchen (tho a Bluestar range with huge hood may actually say that).

People who do want their home kitchen to act like a commercial kitchen would buy a Chicago Faucet, which is an actual commercial faucet that you’d see in restaurants, butchers/fishmongers, cafeterias, etc. There are a few people on this forum who’ve done that. I don’t think they are trying to pretend anything; those faucets aren’t “pretty”. They want that functionality.

• chispa
    5 years ago

randy, most kitchen faucets are able to swivel out of the way so, there is no pot tilting required.

I went with taller faucets in my kitchen remodel just because I wanted to. I've seen and lived with "normal" height faucets for a long time and wanted a different look. No design statement or impressions, just wanting to do something different. It is also something that is relatively easy to replace 5 years down the road if I wanted a different look or function.

Top of my faucet is at 24" but the spray sits at 10" above kitchen counter. I am really liking the extra clearance below. I am getting a bit more splashing but that is also probably due to the large single sink it is paired with.

Isn't it great that we have all these choices and the ability to choose the one that we like best for our own wants/needs!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Looking for something like this. This one may be too cheap for me.

FWIW, Delta is considered a reputable faucet brand even though it's not expensive, as is Moen.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Here is the island sink faucet I just took out in my kitchen remodel. It fits your height requirement.

KWC Suprimo https://www.kwc.com/us-english/products/series-overview/linie-detail/line/kwc-suprimo-12.html#3786

It was several years old, worked great and I actually kept it to install in my laundry sink to replace a really cheap faucet with side sprayer.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

A properly designed one has a pull-down end in the faucet. You seldom turn the water on with the end in the stowed position. The are high because the flexible tube has to be stored somewhere. No issues with splashing when properly used.

Photo shows the division between the pull down part and the fixed part.

Rachiele copper sink · More Info

Overview:

Rachiele copper sink · More Info

• randymwagner
    5 years ago

I don't have any "requirements" other than what the wife "wants". As an engineer, to me form follows function. I am trying to understand if he high arc is just a design/appearance choice or if there really is a functional advantage.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

“or if there really is a functional advantage”

Does your wife want a taller faucet? Happy wife, happy life. That’s the functional advantage.

Seriously though, put your focus more on determining the reputable brands, not the crap ones. Both tall hi-arc faucets and lower pull-out faucets function very well, if they’re made well. I would only get a one-handle faucet though, since that has an actual functional advantage of not having to fiddle with two handles every time you want to turn the water on and off and adjust the temperature. Other than that, your best bet is to go stores that have faucets on display, to see what feels good to you and your wife.

Starcraft Faucet Brand Reviews

• alex9179
    5 years ago

My clean-up sink is located at the pass-through to the living area. I came across marked-down Delta Trinsic faucets on eBay and Amazon. The bar faucet (13") will be installed at the clean-up sink and features the pull-down faucet/spray. I measured the distance to compare the spout to my sink drain and it will hit it without a problem.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/product/9959-DST

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

It's a style choice. My sister-in-law is insanely enamored of hers, whereas I don't 'specially care for it. (I've never told her that. Doesn't matter. It's not my sink.)

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

randymwagner. it's a functional advantage. The high arc allows space for the flexible line leading to the faucet head. Otherwise, there needs too be a separate system with a flexible line. One more thing to break. See my photos a few posts ago.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I dont think proportion size matters. my large kitchen has a Franke pull out spray now.. kitchen stays large. Im thinking something a little taller. but these sinks now are pretty deep (so they put more of a strain on your back) splashing should be minimal. The flow of water is not the same when it hits the sink with these zero radius corners too. All sinks use to have rounded corners/edges. I guess they are rocking and stimulating the market with all these new products... In the end I should buy what I like in my functionality opinion. Yes?

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes, i am reading too much into it. What should the water flow rate be?? and where is the spout suppose to hit the sink and how high the spout is? All I know is I dont want it a super high arc and I want one lever. Something simple but not super. contemporary.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

Our sink is quite shallow, so no back problems, and because you can pull the extension out of the faucet pipe, there's no splashing issue.

• joelcoqui
    Original Author
    5 years ago

plus the bottom rack raises items up a bit. I was looking at the Rachiele sinks but they are way overpriced for me. more then double than a Franke or Elkay sink. (my franke is 28 years old and still in perfect condition)