Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjp91

Reposting - Pittosporums dying. Help!

bjp91
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

FYI - I am reposting because I included Ask The Yard Doctor as one of the topic areas, and apparently if you do that the comment option is disabled. So, reposting without that selected area.

I have a row of pittosporums that have been around for at least 20 years. One died off about a year ago, and even though I have an irrigation system to water them I figured it wasn't reaching the farthest one that died off. Plus, it turns out my neighbor's irrigation that could have been watering it had not been working for quite a long time. So, assumed it was lack of water. Ever since, I have watered the one next to it by hand at least once a week.

Now, since the rains have been nearly daily down here, I am not hand watering it. However, it is starting to die off anyway. See pics of the dying one, and the ones that are nearly next to it that seem to be doing fine so far. The one that died a year or so ago was to the right of the one dying now, just so you know where they are all lined up. The sprinkler is in the far left corner by the house, and sprinkles them from overhead, not the surface level soakers that should be there - I realize.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Thanks for reposting!! I was going to respond when you posted initially but was unable to comment due to that stupid (and utterly useless) forum included as a cross post.

You might want to Google 'pittosporum sudden death', as this phenomenon is very common in SoCal where these plants are very popular and widely used. Apparently a root rot can be the culprit and there is also the possibility of some larval insect that eats the roots.

bjp91 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • bjp91
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did search for a while, but I will look again.

I am not sure about the root rot, but maybe that is the problem. At first, I thought it was too little water, but heard from someone else about root rot and that made me think more about what has been going on as of late. With these daily rains, and my next door neighbor's higher ground, perhaps that area is getting/retaining too much water.

The conundrum with this notion is that it has rained down here like that all summer long, year after year after year, but these shrubs have only had a problem within the last couple of years.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

eventually a box did appear for posting in.. and this is what i posted at the other link:

starting with the third year.. i never water shrubs ...

i suspect its a watering issue.. especially when you mentioned the neighbor was watering them in addition to your watering ... what is your native soil .. and does it drain ????

if you are going to hang around.. and i hope you do.. plz add your location on your members page .. so it appears in every post ...

your big city location might give us the ability to discuss whether there is some local issue .... in regard to this particular plant ....

ken

and you thanked me.. and you are welcome ... ken

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pittosporums-dying-dsvw-vd~5416703?n=1

bjp91 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bjp91
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for re-posting too! I will update profile with my location - Central Florida. So, soil is mostly sand. These pittosporums have been there for nearly 30 years. So, as I said in above post, it is very confusing why the watering would become an issue over the past couple of years only.

A little closer look (see new pics) shows brown spots - unfortunately not only on the dying one but the others as well. I am guessing those are going to go too within the next year. I can't tell by these photos whether or not it could be some sort of insect, but probably more likely fungus-related. I am going to see if I can find any similar pics on the internet.

• bjp91
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yep - I think you are right. But, if it is root rot, do I have to worry about soil treatment or something before planting another type of shrub?

Also, if it is truly a drainage problem, going to need to find something that doesn't mind being moist, but can handle periods of dryness as well.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Various root rots can affect pitts and some will prevent replanting with a similar species or even any number of other susceptible plants due to their persistence in the soil. I would suggest you remove the dead/dying one and take (intact) to your local extension office for a complete diagnosis. They may need to send to their pathology lab for a full evaluation but once you know exactly what is causing the die-off, you will be better able to determine what will grow well under those conditions.

• bjp91
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. I haven't taken a plant sample to anyone yet, but I did send pics and info/questions to my local extension office who has responded by saying that the pitts look nutrient-deprived - likely further aggravated by excess water 'leeching' nutrients out of the sandy soil. Also, recommended I have soil tested for PH and nutrients. Never mentioned root rot, and said I might get new growth on them - but didn't say how. I typically put slow-release fertilizer on them twice a year, but this year forwent the fertilizer because of the way the were looking this spring.

The thing that is blowing my mind about all of this is the fact nothing has really changed in the condition surrounding these pittosporums - like as in forever.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Nutrient deprivation may cause stunting or slow or sparse growth but it will not cause wilting or die-off!!

Most root rots are oomycetes, or water molds so the pathogens move through the soil with water flow. So it is not necessarily just a case of poor drainage but could just be a case of excess run-off that included some already contaminated water flow. the problem seems to be that pitts are overly sensitive to these sorts of pathogens. If you read up on pittosporum die-off, you will get an indication of how commonplace this issue is, even in quite arid climates like SoCal!!

bjp91 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)