Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyssaandryan

Formal living room please help!

alyssaandryan
5 years ago

Hi I just bought these lovely chairs and I’m feeling like they are too large for this space so I placed only one but unsure what to do for the other side. This is the last thing to complete this room. I would love to hear suggestions.

Comments (45)

• laurahahe
    5 years ago
    I really like the look of the two chairs. if you feel it is too tight I'd return them and buy smaller accent chairs
    alyssaandryan thanked laurahahe
  • Bev
    5 years ago

From what I can see (your photo is very dark on my computer monitor), they look like they balance the room. It does not look too tight to me but you have a different view than I do.

alyssaandryan thanked Bev
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO they are a bit large scaled with the sofa and a bit dark.

alyssaandryan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Really I am just have second thoughts and these cannot be returned but I do have plenty of space in my house for them I just wasn’t sure if a foot around the tables was enough room. If you don’t think it looks too tight then I will try the two out. My husband suggested we buy a pouf for the other side.

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

You could try putting chairs under art and couch on left wall?

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

I like your curtain art and tables

alyssaandryan thanked Danielle Black
  • Sydney Stevens
    5 years ago
    Your living room is gorgeous, I also like the chairs but if you want more space, maybe do two stools on that one side, and the one chair on the other instead of the two chairs? You know, like little square fabric ones that will match the rest of the room.
    alyssaandryan thanked Sydney Stevens
  • alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you.

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

These chairs are a charcoal grey. They look black in the picture.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

what do you think about 2 chairs under art? what are the depths from front to back of sofa and chairs?

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Space on left side of room.

Space on right side

• everdebz
    5 years ago

A foot, not for my feet?!

Not so sure I'd prefer the charcoal under your art.... I like sofa with it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Since the title reads "Formal living room help, please" I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this room is basically nice, but it lacks color and warmth. An all greige/brown room needs other colors to look lively. At the very least I would consider changing the shades of the lamps and some of the pillows. A painting that is not color-coordinated would be another step forward in giving this room a more personal touch, which is lacking right now. While you're at it, pile some books on both ends of the coffee table. Matching end tables and coffee table are not often done any more. Please look at some pictures on houzz to see how decorators style rooms to make them more interesting and happy.

alyssaandryan thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Maybe face the two chairs to the sofa.

alyssaandryan thanked Angel 18432
  • Danielle Black
    5 years ago

You could go more dramatic for chairs add some whimsy

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

These might work in your lampshades

• K R
    5 years ago
    I love those chairs, but they do feel a little large for the space. Your house looks like Z Gallerie (my fav)!
    alyssaandryan thanked K R
  • emehouse1
    5 years ago
    I like this living room. It’s really nice but I think it it is just a bit tight. How about a smaller coffee table? This maybe cheaper to replace than the chairs.
  • alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will live with the room for a while. I have been working on this space and my entire main floor for about 2 years now. It’s not 100% perfect but I have come a long way. I plan to change the carpet to add some fun and maybe even the curtains too. Many people refer to my style and house as the hamptons. I like simple and classic style. I have tons of colour in these rooms blue, silvers, beige, greys. I am very happy with this. The chairs are a tad bigger then I would like and colour does seem to be not my normal choice but I will give them a few weeks and see. Tables cannot be changed they were very pricey.

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All furniture is also brand new and I cannot return. The only option I have at changes is carpet, curtains and take one or both chairs out and relocate down the road.

• chisue
    5 years ago

IMO it's not that the chairs are too large, it's the coffee table that is too large -- for the room and for the sofa. Move the chairs closer to the end tables. Lose the pillows.

alyssaandryan thanked chisue
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I agree with chisue - it's the coffee table that is too large. Use it elsewhere and get a smaller one. And yes, move the chairs closer to the end tables. Not crazy about any of those cushions.

alyssaandryan thanked Anglophilia
  • hollybar
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A smaller coffee table is in order,since you can't return the chairs. 12" is too tight. I would consider a round or oval for the space. And definitely slide the chairs closer to the sofa.

alyssaandryan thanked hollybar
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

I like your room and don't think the chairs are too big. I would get rid of some of the pillows such as the ones on the chairs and only have two on the couch, and change the lamp shades to white or cream. Since I love glass tables, I think I would leave your coffee table...matches your other tables How about a green plant somewhere?

alyssaandryan thanked erinsean
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Your chairs a just bit too large, but the room is lovely. Leave them both and enjoy your room! If they bother you too much, then down the road consider a round table, also glass, which leaves more space between the chairs.

alyssaandryan thanked housegal200
  • J Kay
    5 years ago
    I agree with the others. The chairs look big compared to the sofa. I would use the chairs in another room and buy 2 smaller accent chairs with a fun pattern or color. Looking great!
    alyssaandryan thanked J Kay
  • Reece C
    5 years ago

Have you tried to break the rules and move your coffee table short side to the sofa?

alyssaandryan thanked Reece C
  • Kim
    5 years ago

Lovely room with both chairs. I like the color and fabric of the "home" pillow, but three fuzzies is a little too much. You might consider one or two on the sofa only or one in each chair only. I would concentrate on finding a new rug that has some white in it to complement the white pillows.

alyssaandryan thanked Kim
  • alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Moving the furniture and taking out pillows made a huge difference. I feel like I have plenty of room now. I pulled out end tables too. I do want a new carpet but I have to find the right one. Suggestions? How does this look now better? I still need a few lumbar pillows in White for my chairs.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like the rug. As a matter of fact, I'm moving into your room. :-)

• Kim
    5 years ago

Moving the end tables over and removing some pillows made a big difference. And now your rug matches your lamp shades and your dog. : )

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you it’s coming together.
  • Hamma
    5 years ago

I think that changing the curtains (since you mentioned that it was a consideration) would definitely be a good thing for your room. Curtains with grommets read a bit more casual rather than formal. I would also ditch the "Home" pillow.

Still a very lovely room, though :)!

• leelee
    5 years ago

How many inches from the coffee table to the chairs? That would determine if they're too tight. It looks about right. Most people want to put the coffee table too far away from sofa or chairs.

Your chairs look very comfy. Don't replace them with something that you or your guests won't enjoy sitting in for more than a few minutes.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Rooms can get too matchy very quickly. When we find something we like we tend to repeat it. Mix up your pillows. Remove "home" to the bedroom.

• leelee
    5 years ago

I would love to see your picture framed with a floating frame. Subtle but it adds a very finished look.

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am sooo happy. I think I am done.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Looks great. One tiny detail. On the two end tables you have exactly the same lamps and flowers. Mix it up a little with a couple of books or a wooden box or real live plant.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

Looks very very nice. I enlarged your picture and I love the two little square ottomans there. Don't change a thing....Good job.

• Kim
    5 years ago

Love it! The ottomans work so well, and I do like leelee's suggestion about a bonsai tree somewhere.

• Hamma
    5 years ago

leelee's suggestion re: a floating frame is spot on! I couldn't agree more.

I think your coffee table just begs for some books. I.e. - come in, have a seat, make yourself comfortable, open a book...Your room is very pretty, but I believe it does need some little sprinkles of personal touches, to avoid looking like a magazine page...Nothing is wrong with that if that's what you're looking for, but, in my opinion, the most successfully executed rooms speak of people who live there. Just keep at it!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Hamma's remarks echo mine, although I think she said it in a kinder way (my apologies). I read in a blog that every room should have some tension, i.e. warm versus cool, rough versus smooth, modern against antique. The new version of your room is lovely and feels more complete, but some books with lively covers (red, terra cotta, green etc.) would works so well, and also perhaps a different painting or curtains or lamp shades that add some color contrast. However, you seem to love it as it is, and that's the only thing that counts.

• alyssaandryan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I added some magazines and I changed one plant to a flower. My husband really loves this and he’s hard to please. He doesn’t like anything in style and very traditional. He doesn’t like pattern so that is why everything is pretty simple.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Very nice. I keep checking to see if your fluffy white pillows are the little dog. ;-)