Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewels_ks

Do you listen to Podcasts?

jewels_ks
5 years ago

I like to listen to music or podcasts when I am out walking. I listen to these on Spotify and usually listen to the podcast of Criminal.

What podcasts do you listen to?

Comments (25)

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

Well, I binge-listened to Dirty John. Couldn't stop! I kind of like those serial podcasts, after first listening to Serial. I was hooked! I'd like to hear about some more gripping suspense podcasts like those.

• justretired
    5 years ago

Mrs. S. If you liked Serial try S-town. Same production team. Great story.

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

OOH! I did listen to that too! Loved it!!!

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I loved S-Town. I have been meaning to listen to Dirty John, since Mrs. S recommended it. I listen to the radio almost 24/7. I start at 5 a.m., with the local news and a news program, and then at 8, I listen to Michael Berry until 11, and I listen to him again from 5 to 7 in the evenings. I listen to talk radio until 3...then I watch Dr Phil, if he is any good that day, and then I usually listen to something on youtube until 5. After 7, I usually listen to something on youtube or watch a video. When I go to bed, the radio is back on. I have tinnitus, and I like to have something to listen to all the time...otherwise I am hearing crickets or locusts, and though I am used to it now....it was very annoying for a long time. I carry a Sony pocket radio with me or listen to KTRH in Houston, which is the talk and news station I listen to, on my phone on I Heart.

• Cherryfizz
    5 years ago

I listen to The British History Podcast, Adults Read What They Wrote as Kids, BBC4 The Food Programme, Good Job Brain and A Way With Words,

• sleeperblues
    5 years ago

I've been meaning to listen to Dirty John. Apparently he was a nurse anesthetist, which I also am. Portraying himself as a doctor. I found that pretty interesting.

You might want to try Death in Ice Valley. It's about a 40 year old murder in Norway. I recommended in here and several people enjoyed it.

I've listened to Serial, S-town, This American Life and Death in Ice Valley. More that I can't remember.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

i love podcasts!! i listen to the "the daily", Philly sports related podcasts., WSJ, today explained, pod save America, what really happened...

if someone wants to listen to a series, "Caliphate" from "the daily", is excellent!!

i get most of my podcasts on Stitcher.

• Jennifer_in_KS
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I recently tried listening to a podcast and have a question. It was from a self-help blog and the podcasts were about 1hr long. I would have liked the podcasts to automatically continue to the next one but couldn't figure how to do it.

Is this how all podcasts work? Starting each chapter manually? I was streaming it so maybe I need to download it next time.

• User
    5 years ago

I'm currently listening to "Stuff they Don't Want You to Know" (which is perfect for conspiracy theorists - lol), and just wrapped up "Atlanta Monster" about Wayne Williams/the Atlanta child murderer.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I think the best podcast "getter" to download the audio files is iTunes, because the iTunes store is the place all podcasts want to be listed and they seem to have everything. It's easy to use and all podcasts are free. iTunes has a version for both Apple and Windows PCs. I then transfer the episodes to the devices I use for listening. If you want to do it in one step, there's a native podcast app for iphones/ipads/ipods and similar ones for Andoid devices.

All of the following podcasts, and many others too, have their back catalogs to some extent available to download. Sometimes it's all of it, sometimes it's just episodes of the past few months. There are more worthwhile things available to listen to than anyone would have time to spend doing so. As with the phrase "life is too short to drink crappy wine", it's also too short to listen to lousy podcasts. There are plenty of lousy ones, look around and everyone is sure to find ones they will like.

My favorite ones:

Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase - a monthly, ~30 minute humorous program of things experienced by a flight attendant with a major airline.

Midday on WNYC - this is the former Lawrence Lopate Show. He was fired for sexually inappropriate conduct. The show continues with the same format of 3-4 shows of 25 minute interviews each per day, maybe half or fewer interest me and the other half I delete.

Stay Tuned with Preet (Bharara). Bharara is the former US Atty for the Southern District of NY under Obama who was hired then fired by Trump. He's a smart and politically moderate guy who has a wide circle of (prominent) friends and other contacts who come on to talk about issues of the day. One show per week, maybe averaging 50 minutes.

SpyCast - Weekly or so 30 min episodes from the Spy Museum in Washington DC, interviews with authors or people who were directly involved in espionage/analysis, both on the US side and from other countries.

The World in Words from NPR - about language and the effect of language issues on human existence.

• cooper8828
    5 years ago

I've got to agree, iTunes is one-stop shopping. I also transfer the episodes because I listen while traveling for work, it gets remote sometimes, and I have no signal to stream.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

My post was too long as it was but I should have mentioned that I use SanDisk MP3 players for podcast listening. I'm mostly listening when exercising or doing other active things. They're relatively inexpensive and conveniently light and small (maybe the size of an old fashioned matchbook) so they're easy to use. Many have clips to clip onto clothing. I don't worry about damaging them with sweat, impact, or dropping.

• hooked123
    5 years ago

I LOVE the History Chicks on Spotify. Funny women telling me about women in history. I painted my bedroom which took me four months while listening to them, I learned so much.

• User
    5 years ago

Oooo - currently listening to Dirty John! It's my new commuting buddy. lol

• User
    5 years ago

Weird...………. I don't listen to podcasts, but turned on Spotify and decided to see what there is. Then because I don't know what's good, I came here to ask what everyone listens to. Thanks for asking! Saves me a question. lol

• rockypointdog
    5 years ago

Good topic! I use Anypod on the Alexa app so I can stream it on all my Alexa devices or Bluetooth speakers as I wander from room to room. Chiming in mostly so that I can find out what everyone else likes. I’m currently listening to Serial season 2 (about Bowe Bergdahl). I like podcasts that do a deep dive into a topic, but I get a little impatient with the slow pace of some of them.

• LucyStar1
    5 years ago

I listen to podcasts on my iPod. Some of my favorites are Oprah's SuperSoul Conversations, Fresh Air, Bookclub, This is Fifty with Sherri and Nancy, Happier with Gretchen Rubin, Happier in Hollywood, and Decorating Tips and Tricks.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

just binge listened to "dirty john"...thanks for the rec., really good!! he was a sick man. those poor women, what they experienced was horrific/life altering.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 years ago

I listened to Missing Richard Simmons. It was very entertaining.

• sleeperblues
    5 years ago

I listened to that too, Annette. Thought it was great

• tackykat
    5 years ago

I like David Axelrod's The Axe Files, Alec Baldwin's Here's The Thing and Fresh Air. Also, I recently started listening to The Armchair Expert (Dax Shepard - from Parenthood). I like long form interviews.

• hooked123
    5 years ago

I have been listening to Dirty John, WOW!! Thanks so much for the recommendations everyone. I have learned so much on GW! So many great people on here, thanks again!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Dirty John, S-Town, In The Dark, My Favorite Murder (discussion of true crime with a comedy bent), Snap Judgement, Stay Tuned with Preet, The Moth, Pod Save the People, Still Processing, Malcolm Gladwell Revisionist History.

• crazybrunette64
    5 years ago

If you are a reader, What Should I Read Next with Anne Bogel is great. She also has the blog Modern Mrs, Darcy.