Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajshaffer1

Landscaping ideas/help

grimace27
5 years ago

I bought my first home last year and finally have the inside done to the point where I’m thinking about the outside.

I’m in desperate need of some landscaping, but I don‘t want to fire off in the wrong direction and end up with a mix-matched yard. There is already a planting area in the front covered by the black landscaping material. Im not against removing the sidewalk and doing something different because it is concrete covered with nature stone and it is all coming off and looks awful.

I’d like to have a plan on paper. I‘d love to have a professional design it to go with the house, possibly mid-century style? I’m a newbie so I’m very open to ideas.

I’ve also thought about and had suggestions to replace the outsides of the driveway with a different material to make it appear thinner but still have the utility of parking vehicles on it when needed. I was thinking brick or stone pavers or some other permiable surface on the outside and leave the asphalt in the middle about the width of the garage door.

I haven’t had much luck finding a designer locally so if it can be done with photos I can provide as many as are needed. Thanks for the help!

Comments (12)

• houssaon
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Do you need all that parking? Because if you don't instead of replacing the asphalt with some other hard material, I'd replace what is not needed with grass and plantings.

Since you have to do the walkway, concrete pavers surrounded by river rock would look contemporary.

Modern San Francisco Living · More Info

What zone and part of the country are you?

Someone has suggested contacting a local nursery to get their ideas and maybe they can give you a rough layout.

grimace27 thanked houssaon
  • redoredone
    5 years ago

Some local nurseries draw up free plans for you if you purchase some or all of your plants from them. With the wide eaves on your house, I would have wide beds with plants that are moved out from under the eaves. I like informal loose plants rather than tight rounded shrubs, but I don't know what your preferences are.

grimace27 thanked redoredone
  • PRO
    grimace27 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

If you want a plan on paper, hire a qualified designer. Or do the research and study necessary to develop one yourself. I'd be leary about any nursery that gave away "free" designs.....there is that old but very true saying "you get what you pay for" :-) There is a defined skill set involved with landscape design that doesn't just happen without work, study and a lot of experience and a good designer does not give that way for free!! There is an ulterior motive involved with any "free" design and it is usually a nursery pushing a lot of very ordinary and often unnecessary plants.....they are making their money some way or another.

grimace27 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • grimace27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To answer some questions - I am in Pennsylvania. I don’t need all the parking on a daily basis, but it is nice to have when having a party and has come in handy due to all parking in this neighborhood having to be off-street.

I’d love to hire a qualified designer, but I don’t know where to start! I guess I’m looking for advice on that as much as anything else. Has anyone used a good one in the past they can recommend? And any idea on price range for something like that?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

The only recognized/certified professional organization for landscape designers in the country - the Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD) - is based in Harrisburg, PA. The website has changed recently and it is no longer very user-friendly IMO, but you can access the PA-DE chapter via Facebook (apldpade) and request referrals for qualified designers in your area. And often, better independent nurseries and garden centers in your area will have a listing of landscape professionals, including designers, that they will refer to.......if they do not have one on staff (and beware of those offering services for free for the previously outlined reasons).

In the overall scheme of developing a new landscape, design fees tend to be one of the least costly line items :-) It is impossible to say how much a design master plan would cost, as it depends on the size and scope of the project and the skill and experience (and name) of the designer involved, but compared to the labor and materials involved in creating a new landscape, the expense is minimal.....usually from a few hundred dollars to as much as several thousand for larger, more complex project.

Just an FYI, but it is important to find a designer that has experience in the type of work you are looking for as well as one that you can communicate with easily and comfortably - working with a designer is a very interactive process!! Ask to see their portfolio of built work.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

I guess it all depends upon where you live. We have local independent nurseries who have qualified designers on staff .. I’ve seen some of their works ( several homes in my area ) & it turned out beautiful. So I think it’s a mistake to automatically rule out their assistance.

Btw ... you’re lucky to have a nice blank slate to build upon, easier than having to remove huge overgrown mismatched plants & trees.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I didn't rule out nurseries as being a source.......I was just expressing using some caution when or if they offer "free" design services :-) Many nurseries here offer design services......but they are never free!! Or at least none of the good ones.

There is a lot more involved in a successful landscape design than just the plant selection, so nurseries that offer free design services in return for purchasing their plants may be omitting or overlooking a lot of other critical aspects.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

the biggest feature i see of your yard is an acre of asphalt. i get that its useful sometimes... any chance to change the extra width on the right to pavers with grass in them? they wouldnt be harmed by the occasional car parked there and really change the look of your yard.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

Could you return with better photos? The first picture helps with driveway issue, but it is too far away for dealing with foundation planting. For that, we don't need to see as much sky or lawn, but need to see farther right and farther left from a closer view point, lined up with the center of the house. While keeping at the camera location, pivot it and take slightly overlapping shots.

grimace27 thanked Yardvaark
  • grimace27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will try and do that tonight if it’s not raining