Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mm4315

Help! How do I choose the correct white paint color for guest bthroom?

M M
5 years ago

Painters come on Friday to paint this guest bathroom a "brigther" color. I think the current gray makes it feel muddy. Looking to brighten and clean up the space with a nice white paint.

The trim in the room is Behr - Ultra Pure White.

Can anyone advise how I can pick the correct white paint color?

Comments (13)

• M M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting! I've been doing a bit of research and also seem to like Behr's Polar Bear color.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You may like Polar Bear, but will you like it once it's in the room? Keep in mind that all the off white colors belong to a hue family--that is they are a lightened version of pink, blue, yellow, purple, green or orange. It's possible that Polar Bear belongs to a hue family that might conflict with what you have in the bathroom. So you'll paint it and then be back here on the DDs saying "I painted my bathroom Polar Bear, and I hate it because it looks blue/green/yellow,etc." Unless you know exactly how Polar Bear will behave in your room with your light, you would be better off just painting it Ultra Pure White, since you already know that color works.

Or you could see if color guru, Lori Sawaya, would weigh in here. She has an amazing color strategy and could tell you what Polar Bear would look like in your room.

• J Kay
    5 years ago
    Definitely white with the tile!
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Aw, thanks, @Diana.

UPW is always and option, because it will look nice with the glass tile and, of course, go with the trim.

Polar Bear belongs to the yellow hue family. Ultra Pure White the Green-Yellow hue family.

I'd be looking to see how Polar Bear related to the green-blue glass tile. I'd be looking for that edge of yellowness.

In terms of Chroma they work. Polar Bear has a nice bump more Chroma and that's a good thing.

If Polar Bear doesn't work, then I'd be looking for a white from the same Green-Blue hue family as the tiles.

• M M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thoughts on Whisper White, @Lori?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

If choosing white, stay w/the same ultra white. The gray isn't bad, just the wrong tone. look at SW Crushed Ice. its a very light gray.

or (and Behr can color match these)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Thoughts on Whisper White, @Lori?

From Behr or another brand?

• M M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@ Lori, Behr...

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

>>following >>>> :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I have two Behr fandecks, a white brochure and a huge library of paint color data values and Whisper White isn't in any of them.

So, I dont' know.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

It's their Home Decorator Color,,,one of the off-shoots. that's prob why you don't have it.

it's the middle one behind polar bear. All 3 of these whites are almost identical. I don't think you can go wrong with either to go w/the Ultra.

• kaytea411
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm sure the room or trim have been painted more than once by now, but since this post is still accessible to readers I wanted to share a comment. Polar Bear white is an excellent choice - it's a soft white and blends perfectly. Also, some times 'white-white' paints can be very difficult to apply because of lack of pigment. Polar Bear has just enough color to avoid this. It is a bright white, but has a soft edge to it and looks great with grays, beiges, off-whites, blues, reds, and yellows.