Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_yesenchak

Need help with small front porch and curb appeal please?!?!

Barbara Senchak
5 years ago
Replacing current front porch (overhang) and adding a small roof. I need help deciding what railing, flooring/trim colors and materials to use. Limited budget, of course. We’ve just ordered a new garage door (pic below), so that will be coming soon. Our front door and storm door are new, and the front door is stainable/paintable. Cannot change siding.
We would like to keep it low/no maintenance.
Any ideals to pull the porch together (color/shutters & etc.) with the house, to give it some curb appeal, would be great!

I’m just worried I’m going to make a bad decision and be stuck with it. My house is a drab, cookie cutter type, and I would really like to do something a little different than the norm. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (20)

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Not a Pro.

I would not add shutters, but I may add an awning over the door. Some window boxes, add color there with flowers.

Put your money into landscaping.

Keep it simple.

Here is some inspiration:

Greek Revival Remodel - Screened Porch · More Info

• J Kay
    5 years ago
    I would add thicker white trim around the windows and spend the money on landscaping.
  • threers
    5 years ago

Paint the front door and storm door your favorite color...good and bright. An Awning is also a good idea. Your house is clean and new looking. Be happy with it.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Your house is darling. I was wondering about a larger front porch with a roof that takes in and conceals the 2nd floor overhang. If there's a bit of porch over the garages and perhaps some climbing plants, it might lessen the garages and draw the eye to your front door more. My daughter's violin teacher's house is very similar to this and I think it looks nice.

(I'd paint the garage doors something darker that relates to the brick and retaining wall.)

• Barbara Senchak
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Some really great suggestions, thanks so much. Never considered extending the porch across the front, brilliant idea!! Will have to check into that.

We are replacing retaining wall as well and new landscaping will be done at that time.
  • Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You have the room to add the right size shutters to your windows, but I agree with the others that your home looks great without them. Please don't add shutters if they are the too skinny shutters that we see everywhere today. If you do decide to go with shutters each shutter should be half the size of the window and hung appropriately so they appear functional, even if they aren't functional. Adding hinges and shutter dogs like the inspiration pic below helps carry the functional illusion too. Don't end up with 'shudders' as shown in this brief article:) https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

Our Work · More Info

• Denita
    5 years ago

Also agree with benjesbride about painting the garage doors darker. If you paint them a color that blends with the brick or a darker color as benjesbride shows then the garage doors visually recede. If you choose a bright color they pop out. Most people want the focus on the front door and not the garage doors. You have a nice, neutral siding so you can go with an accent for your front door to bring the attention there. What is your favorite color? Here are a few that would work well but you have a wide range of colors that would work.

^Try cobalt blue or even a very elegant Gentleman's Gray or Hale Navy.

Another color to consider is orange or pumpkin

Or go with a red or green front door.

Brentwood Traditional 2 · More Info

• Barbara Senchak
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Again, great ideas and I will most definitely paint a bright color on the door. The garage doors are already ordered (pictured), husband wouldn’t wait because his opener died. It’s a shame because I love the color idea to blend into the brick and put focus on the front door.

I didn’t get a chance to get advice on the garage doors, but I do on the porch replacement. If the garage doors remain white, I want the porch to be the focal point, if possible. Need ideas regarding railing, pillars and such. There are so many options, it’s so confusing. This is what I’ve been looking at but I can’t see it if it would work. Ugh!
  • Barbara Senchak
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Everyone on our street has some combination of painted white wood or white vinyl. There is one exception which I will post below. The only house that did something a bit different and it just happens to be the same model as ours. Go figure!
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I would go as minimal as possible. You don't want to distract from your front door that is already going to be partially covered.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

You can have the garage door painted :-)

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

As I look at your house again, I think well chosen shutters would add some need interest and dimension to your house. The shutter colors would need to be a color that relates to both the brick and the roof color while coordinating with the body color.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    5 years ago

That house you posted in the same neighborhood brought some contrast by painting the window trims. Have you considered a dark grey or black trim? Classic combination-pale yellow, black and white. Blue or navy might look nice too?

• Barbara Senchak
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’ve considered shutters and painting the window trims. The problem was that I couldn’t come up with a color combination that no one around me didn’t already have. I don’t like to be a copycat, especially when the houses are so similar even if the model is a different one.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

What about a pergola extending from the left side of the house to the second floor bump out on the right? The section above the door could have a solid roof for weather protection, while the rest is open to allow light into the window.

Or you could make a gable portico over the door and extend the pergola to the left off of that.

You could do one over the garage as well but that might be too much, and to me adding dimension on the left is important.

Properly sized shutters would actually work quite nicely here Someday :)

With the style of the new garage door that would push your house a bit toward farmhouse.

• lizziesma
    5 years ago

I don't find your home drab at all. I think it's tidy and well cared for. Additional landscaping and giving time for trees to mature will really spice it up. Have fun!

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

some ideas:

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Just adding shutters and painting garage doors can bring better look. Plus landscaping.

• Barbara Senchak
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dug’s Designs, love this!!! I always hated that being such a small porch and felt stuck with the fact that it was an overhang overtop a retaining wall. Would love to get a better view of the transition between the current porch to the extension. It’s hidden by that beautiful red maple.