Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haitha

need help with two story living room

haitha
5 years ago
Hello,

I’m not sure what can be done with my living room. We have these huge walls that are empty.
Please help with ideas to fill in this space.
I was thinking of a mirror on top of fireplace. Any ideas. Also need help with lighting

Comments (23)

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here are the pics of living room
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Your furniture pieces seem small for this room. I would add tables, plenty of lamps ( do not use the harsh overhead lighting), a taller TV consol, etc. and then choose colorful art. There is no need to to do anything high up on the walls. Stick with what you see from the bottom level.

Personnally I do not prefer the two-story drapes. I would have them begin above the lower portion. Do you need the shades for privacy/light control? If not, I would remove them.

• kulrn
    5 years ago

Bump.

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the input!
    Those drapes are recently installed and that’s something we may not change.

How about the fireplace and the wall next to it. What can be done there.

I’m also looking for furniture/accent Chairs options.
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

I would lower mirror (should be at eye level) or get something larger for the dining room wall. All your décor is too high. TV is too high and disconnected from stand. The prints above the window should be moved and that area left bare. I can't see your floors, but I would get your layout and furniture situated, then work on wall décor. I hope some of the pro designers give you some help here. It's a grand space for sure!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Did you buy this house or are you renting? If you bought, how long are you planning to be in this house?

5 years ago

Bring everything, including the curtains, down to a more human scale/level. That's the key with these outsize rooms. I would get the curtains trimmed and hemmed, to hang a few inches below where you have the three framed prints (which I would remove) now.

I’m also looking for furniture/accent Chairs options.

I would post a floor plan with measurements because I suspect that might be a difficult room. Also, what style and colors do you like? Or do you like everything monochromatic, as you have right now with the sectional, walls, and curtains?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I know this may seem counterintuitive but, in order to keep your eye from moving too high up, I would remove the artwork from above the windows. I would also replace the TV cabinet with something taller in scale. Then, add things with some height into the room like a floor lamp, indoor tree, artwork above fireplace, etc. Your first focus needs to be filling the space within eye level. Once that's established then add-in items a bit higher up (within reason).

I wouldn't go crazy trying to add things too high up on the walls tho. Keep things within a comfortable eye range. If you have to cock your neck upwards to look at something in the room, it's too high! Keep things reasonably lower and the room will feel more inviting and to scale.

StyleHaus - Paramount Bay - Stylish Two Story Loft by Design District · More Info

Hope this helps!

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is the floor plan.
  • haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can you share some ideas for artwork above the fireplace.
    We bought this place and plan to stay here for long.
    Above fireplace- Would artwork be better or mirror.
  • haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not planning to change the sectional now, what can go with the existing to add more seating space.
  • kulrn
    5 years ago

Being opposite of the window, I would think you could do a tall skinny mirror over the fireplace or art to fit the space. You limited with the molding.

5 years ago

A floorplan is a drawing of the space with measurements. Photos can be distorted or deceiving.

I didn't suggest replacing the sectional, just asked if you want everything the same color since at the moment that's the look you have going, and you requested assistance with more furniture.

You could have a mirror cut for the space, but I would only do that if the reflection is of something attractive and pleasing. You could make a wooden frame to fit the space and stretch a fabric or tapestry over it, once you decide what way you want to go with colors and styles in the room.

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I can provide the floor plan. Do not have it right now.
    I’m not going with monochromatic look.
    I like the colors from dining chair. This is the dinning room which extending from living
    5 years ago

Blues and greens would look lovely in that room.

So all we need is a floorplan with measurements, who will use the living room and how (family of four watching TV, family of five where some like to watch TV and read and sew, couple who like to entertain a lot, etc.), and your budget, and then people can start posting ideas. Are there stores nearby where you like to shop? Do you have any preference? Pottery Barn, Ikea, Wayfair, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, someplace local?

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are family of 4, have a 2 yr, 6 yr old.
    Me and husband watch a lot of TV.
    All the stores listed are close by.

The floor is 19’ * 15.5’

Thanks again!
  • haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We also have friends visiting often, so would need more seating space
    5 years ago

Make a drawing with the measurements and also show where the windows, doorways, fireplace are, and the existing furniture (TV, sectional).

How many people do you need seating for, maximum?

• PRO
    M&D Photography
    5 years ago

If you're looking for a wide range of wall decor we offer thousands of options at http://mndphoto.com

• haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I could only do this. Attached image with measurements.
    Need seating up 8. At the least 6. Only 3 can sit conformably on the couch we have
  • haitha
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    These are the two dining’s that connects to living room.
    I know the furniture style is not consistent. Couch and tv stand are from our previous house. Posting these pics to give an idea of what we have which might help in suggesting living room furniture.
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

In order to ground your furniture and make this high room look cozy and inviting, look for a large area rug that should fill most of the floor space with about 1 to 1 1/2 feet of wood showing at the perimeters. Make it something lively and colorful, in tones of terracotta, green, blue, beige. An Oriental rug would look great and will warm up this room and reduce the impression of height. Put a table lamp on the white table and move the sectional a little bit away from the wall. I would not replace your new drapes, that seems really wasteful. Do get a large coffee table, a square one would probably be best. If worried about children running into it, then perhaps a large square ottoman which has long wooden legs so that it has a more airy look. If you place two chairs at the open side of the couch that should help to stop children from running into the table. Do lower the clock in the dining room and the pictures in the living room, and also the TV. Additional colorful pictures on the wall will create interest at eye level and decrease the feeling of too much height. After you buy the rug choose pillows for the couch and chairs that borrow colors from to create a harmonious whole.

I see now that the chandelier in the dining room is also too high. It should be much lower over the dining table. Your drapes are beautiful!