Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoopsgr8

Landscape design plan and complimentary plant ideas needed

Hunter Coleman
5 years ago

Hi, I am looking to redo the landscaping around my house from what the builder installed (plan to move existing plants to side of house) and looking for some advice on how best to plant and what types of low maintenance plants to use. I do plan to use a Fireglow Japanese maple (or dwarf Japanese maple) as a focal point off the right corner of the front patio where the column is located but away from the house itself (possibly extending the existing bed further into yard to accomodate). What are some good complimentary plants for that maple and and what might be best on the left side against the brick wall left of the sidewalk going to the front door? Also, I plan to install small dry creek beds at the base of the gutter downspouts to drain water away from the house. I also would like to plant a Coral Bark Japanese maple closer to the sidewalk near the street and wondering what other plants may compliment that best in that bed. All beds with mulched with a natural brown color mulch (removing the existing pine straw). Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Hunter

Comments (13)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Can you take a photo (or it may be three or four) showing the entire width of the property and add that please. Stand in one place, approximately in line with the main door and if needed, rotate your body to get a series of photos that show the property from the left property line to the right. You might need to be out by the public sidewalk or even across the street. I like to see the entire property front since that is how it is viewed in reality, and such things as placement of other trees on the property are important.

It appears that a small tree will block the front window. Is that your goal?

• cecily 7A
    5 years ago

And please tell us where you're located. I wouldn't remove the pine straw, just put bark on top of it next spring if you prefer the look of bark. In Virginia (hot, humid, rainy winter) mulch needs to be added twice a year because it breaks down rapidly. Pine straw is regional - I'm guessing you're in Georgia - and it works fine.

• Hunter Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cecily - I am located in the Columbia, SC area. NHBabs - Attached are a couple of photos of the entire front from the street. As for the tree, I plan to have it far enough out away from the house as to not block the window that much.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would plant it diagonally off the corner of the house if possible, and if you don't own enough space, then plant if straight toward the street from the house corner, expanding the bed to accommodate it. It will help break up that large wall next door as well as not blocking the low front window.

I would keep the plants in the area of walkway low and far enough from the edge so visitors don't feel like they have to avoid the walk edges. I agree with the previous poster who suggested adding mulch over the pine straw instead of removing it. Just use a brown mulch so it isn't the main feature.

For specific plant suggestions (for which I will be no help since I am3- 4 zones colder than you), you want to add the amount of sun this part of the garden receives and your USDA zone - you have already given us your general location. One of the issues I see with your current plants is that they are all fine-textured and of a similar color, so having a bit more variety in general plant appearance will make it look better while still having multiples of each type for visibility from the street. You might want to take photos of your current plants and get them IDed on the Name that Plant forum here on the Garden Web part of Houzz. [Name-that-plant forum[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/name-that-plant-dsbr0-bd~t_29966) It may be that at least some of the plants will be a good choice for that spot if used in combo with some replacement plants. You haven't really explained why you are planning to move all of them.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

What kind of tree is planted next to your neighbor’s house assuming it’s your tree? It looks kind of close to the property line/neighbor if it’s going to be a large tree when mature, and could cause problem down the road.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

I'd suggest you begin by widening the walk. It helps to make a more welcoming entrance, especially when the entrance is set far back and around a corner. Since you need to keep as much planting space as possible along the garage wall, it would work best to only add on to the outside of the walk.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

some ideas showing your trees as they start to mature:

• Hunter Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

NHBabs - Yes I do plan to have it on the right side of the bed as to minimize blocking the window, although the one concern I have is expanding the bed further out into the yard towards the street is going to make that bed really large and I wouldn't really have a good idea on how to plant within it. Also, like I mentioned I am wanting to add a dry rock bed from the downspout near the corner of the porch out through the bed to the yard and how that might break up the bed into sections with the tree is giving me problems on the design. I agree with keeping plants low along the walkway and that is why I was thinking of loriope (monkey grass) as an option. I would like to have a couple of levels on the left side between the brick walk and the sidewalk going to porch. Any good ideas for something a little taller in the back and then something smaller in the front of that (if there is enough space, its about 5 ft from wall to concrete). Good idea on seeing if some of the current plants could be paired with others instead of all being relocated. I was just planning to relocate to help fill the sides of the house where there is no landscaping at all right now and that way I could go with my own design and plants in front.

• Hunter Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Saypoint - I believe that tree on the right side is an oak or hickory of some kind and it is on my property. The right side of the yard has a pretty good slope to it sloping toward the neighbors driveway.

• Hunter Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yardvaark - Thanks for the visual, that really does help to see it like that. I have considered adding the Bloodgood or Fireflow maple out towards the sidewalk by the street, although that is where I was going to replace existing oak or hickory with a Coral Bark Japanese maple. I may also plant off the right front corner of the house but would need to come out 15-20 ft from the house given the size of the tree at maturity. Expanding the sidewalk isn't really and option or something we are willing to do.

• Hunter Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dig Doug's Designs - Thanks for the visual of how things might mature with time, it is helpful to see that.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

"I agree with keeping plants low along the walkway and that is why I was thinking of liriope (monkey grass) as an option." That is not near low enough for adjacent to walk. It gets 24" and sometimes taller.

"I may also plant off the right front corner of the house but would need to come out 15-20 ft from the house given the size of the tree at maturity." That's why you adjust the size of the tree according to it's proximity with the house. Also, I get a sense that you're misinterpreting some of the suggestions in my drawing. It's meant to be inspirational but the next step is where you work out plant locations ON A PLAN. This is essential because it's where you figure out exactly how much room you have and where everything exactly is. It's not possible to work out all details in 3-D pictures and words alone.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville