Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tayler5

Baseboards & Casing Question/Dilemma

tayler5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Can you tell me what height & thickness baseboard you would use, as well as how wide for the casing. I am looking at a simple base, maybe a bullnose or 90 degree/square. Love your opinion. The base and casing will be painted the same color as the walls, Agreeable Gray.

I have tried several times to post with pictures and have not been successful so I will post pictures in comments.

Comments (18)

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

View from the front door. Ceiling on right is 7'6" and on left is 11'6"

Opposite view

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kitchen design - the drawing is deceiving, all cabinets will be slab

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Amarone Granite for the island, Coastal Gray Pental Quartz for exterior counters, Morning Fog textured melamine (white & gray) for cabinets, the island will be SW Sealskin

The cabinet appears to have some beige or wood tones, it does not. It is white with grey. Click on the picture to enlarge and see a bit more detail.

Lincoln Park interior doors(7) located in the landings for bedrooms/bathrooms/laundry

• User
    5 years ago

Redesign for no moldings whatsoever.

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wish I could Sophie, but that was not in our budget. Besides a redesign do you have any ideas?

• User
    5 years ago

I personally think the style of moldings depends on the age and style of your home. We've a Victorian so our moldings our wide and stained. By your interior shots I'm thinking your home could be more in the middle of last century.

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our house was built in the 60's, Sewciable, and I am not good with style but here is a picture.

We plan in the next few years to update the exterior. Most likely changing the cement board to wood. The 3 big windows have already been replaced. They are the same size, they just have the bottom 1/3 that open.

Here is the exterior door that we will be installing, not sure of the color yet.

• User
    5 years ago

I thought so. If you are wanting to keep with the homes age, I'd suggest the simpler molding at about two and a quarter inches.
    Here's a sample of the profile I found online. I circled the type of molding that was used at the time your home was built for the average home. I grew up in a home built a couple years before. It and all the homes of that era in my neighborhood had this molding.

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We do plan on replacing all of it except bedrooms within a year.

• strategery
    5 years ago

4" baseboards, 3" casing, square profile.

• User
    5 years ago

Nice house! The exterior is too busy for my taste, but repainting would tie it all together easily. The angled ceiling is great! My vote? Keep the moldings small and simple - square or smoothly rounded base and casing.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

Nice house, I love the new windows. Bravo to you for matching them to the "top line" of the entry door. Once you rid the facade of the "shudders" and install stained wood it will be a knockout.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

I agree square baseboards but taller I think. 5" to 6". The casings can be half the size but they need to be the same thickness as the baseboards where they meet. They should be pretty plain too.

• strategery
    5 years ago

It’s a small place, so I think modest baseboards would go best (4”). Get some different size samples and stand back to get a good look.

• tayler5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your advice, I have narrowed my choices down to:

R & G CATALOG - EXPRESS SERIES

· C103 = ¾ * 3

· B104.5 = 5/8 * 4 ½ // no cut out in back

BURTON LUMBER CATALOG

· B403 = ½ * 4

· C313 = 5/8 *3 ¼

Or can we mix and match to get the same size C & M

R&G (B104.5 = 5/8 * 4 ½)

Burton (C313 5/8 * 3 ¼)

It's crazy how what seems like a simple task is what is keeping me up at night right now, I am an over obsessor.

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

Looks better, and correct to have the base slightly thinner than the casing, creating a slight reveal at the junction.
    With your style house, smaller and simpler would be more in keeping with the era.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

My parents house built in 1960 had 1x4 boards as base trim with the outside top edge knocked down a bit by hand sanding which could certainly be done with a router bit.