Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_legault

Is anyone growing Anne Boleyn?

This is one that I am considering because of its color and size. But I never hear it mentioned on the forum.
Does anyone grow this rose ?

Comments (26)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I will be in the minority that grows Anne. Her DA picture looks like a nice color.

Original Author
    5 years ago

David Austin photo

I see thst the blooms are around 2 inches so not huge.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

I was just browsing the Rose Petals Nursery site and see a ton of nice looking plants that never get mentioned.

I'll probably bump some old threads that mention them.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I have it ! But it’s new to my garden this year. I want to say jubilee celebration reminds me of it . I do have some blooms coming and will get pics for you. I had blooms but didn’t label my photos and would hate to post the wrong ones ! :)

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cool, thank you Lilyfinch

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

I used to grow Anne Boleyn. She got moved twice and never enjoyed her full potential as a result. For me she was more like a small sprawler, but I have heard others describe her as more of a 3 ft bush.

Here she is sprawling--but in a lovely way:

Here is a close-up:

I thought she had a wonderfully delicate look with somewhat changing pastel colors--touch of yellow in there.

Don't remember why she is in my garden no longer. I think it might have been that she just never really recovered from that second move and I got tired of waiting for her to get her act together. But I don't think that is typical of her, and I was sorry afterwards that I spaded her.

I would encourage you to plant her, despite my less than successful attempt to grow her. She really has lovely blooms--somewhat smaller sized, almost like a mini-rose--but then that might have been because she was not thriving after the second move.

Kate

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I will look up my post in a moment. I have a no ID rose that everyone seems to think is Anne Boleyn, although I'm now wondering if it isn't Eglantyne as mine has very leathery leaves and has suddenly shot up to over 6 feet tall! She was staying nice and Twiggy and low for the two years prior. At the post linked here there a lot of pictures of Anne as well as useful comments.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4130507/queen-of-sweden-noid-rose#n=32

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Ann for the photos. That looks like a pretty rose

I love the different colors

Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann, how tall is AB ?

• boncrow66
    5 years ago

Ann, your AB is beautiful! I really like the variations on color, very lovely. I am considering this rose to grow in a pot and from what I’m reading sounds like she will be a good size for a pot.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked boncrow66
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Kristine - AB reached 2 x 2 last year and is still about that size because she was moved. I think she'll reach at least 3 x 3, possibly larger. My roses, especially the Austins, take a couple of years to take off so mine might not be typical.

boncrow66 - I think this would be a good rose for a pot!

AB might be an Austin that needs full sun, no partial shade. Mine is in full sun but not scorching sun - it's only 82 outside today.

Ann

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Ann , can you update please? Considering this again :)

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Jen - AB is about 3ft tall and arching, still compact and suitable for a pot. It blooms in sprays so there are a fair number of blooms in each flush.

It had a flush in November and the sprays are still trying to bloom in mid-December despite the cold so it's a good bloomer. Here's a pic from 11/29.

Here's another pic from summer.

The charming color variations may be its strongest point. Fragrance is variable - sometimes mild sometimes moderate. I guess it depends on what you're looking for? I'm glad I have AB in my DA collection but I'm also interested in some of the newer DA roses like The Mill on the Floss. I've heard mixed reviews on Emily Bronte which I think I'm going to pass on for now.

Hope that helps!

Ann

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Just gorgeous! I especially love that last photo. The DA photographers have nothing on you, Ann :)

I also keep debating on Emily Bronte..but then again, she has the little button eye! *sigh*

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Thanks sultry - you are so kind but I must give credit to the rose for producing such pretty flowers to photograph!

Someone on Facebook shared pics he took when he visited the UK DA home garden. He had a lovely shot of Emily and said there was no fragrance he could detect. With limited to no space, I've decided not to buy anything that doesn't have at least some fragrance. So I'm leaving Emily off the list for now.

Ann

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ann, that second picture just glows. And your photography skills are wonderful! I am still tempted by this little beauty but Christopher Marlow is also one that has such Interesting color.

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Sorry pict is out of order and can’t remove it.

Ann I love your pictures of this beautiful little rose =). This color range is turning out to be a favorite of mine. Thank you for your beautiful pictures. I couldn't hold out on Emily B and ordered her, according to what I have read it can tolerate poor soil which is what I have.

https://rightroses.com/emily-bronte This review says she is top for fragrance comparing her to some of DAs most fragrant roses such as GJ. My nose is not super sensitive so if it appears fragrant to me ill let you know next year.

Kristine I smiled when I saw your Christopher Marlowe comment. I have fallen in love with the blooms and coloring of Christopher M this year. I think I really need to place one in a pot and let him cascade. Now I also want this cute little Anne B for a pot too. I think they would look beautiful growing next to each other on a balcony spilling over the railing, not sure my balcony gets enough sun but I might have to try. My Christopher M got some good black spot this late summer but never stopped blooming. I am hoping it does better once it matures a bit.

Anne from DAs website and my Christopher Marlowe. The blooms on CM are also not very large so far.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked dianela7analabama
  • Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Thanks dianela! It's my pleasure to share my roses and pics!

I think your idea of putting AB and CM together is a good one. My CM blooms are at least a third larger than my AB blooms and the plant is easily 50% larger. CM can be quite wide and arching; I had my best year in 2019, its third year in the ground. It doesn't like to be pruned back too hard during the growing season after it reaches its maximum width as I've discovered. Mine is in partial shade and is quite orange pink in summer and deep pink in cool weather.

Of the two, I'm partial to Anne because I've discovered I love a compact growth habit so roses like Anne Boleyn and Happy Child are some of my favorites.

This might be the most representative color - a blend of orange and pink that I get most of the year.

This fall, in cooler weather I got a more pink version.

Thanks again daniela and I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your Emily Bronte and getting a fragrance report!

Ann

Original Author
    4 years ago

Given what you have just said Ann, I think that I would prefer Anne Boleyn due to her size. Your pictures didn't hurt either lol

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    4 years ago

I'm not sure if it is the cameras or computer screens that are creating stronger shades of pink in Anne Boleyn, but mine were much more pastel. Lovely, but definitely pastel.

Kate

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Kristine - DA uses Anne for tree standards because it's compact and can keep a shape better than more sprawling roses like Christopher Marlowe. CM can also have some fairly large thorns that can catch your clothing at times. :(( AB has thorns too but they're small.

Kate - It's been remarked before that some of my roses appear darker than what others grow. I don't have an explanation other than maybe climate? I take photos with both my iPhone and my DSLR cameras. The colors are true to what I'm seeing. AB is a rose that's generally pastel pink but with variations, especially in the center of the bloom.

Here's one that's all light pink but darker in the middle.

Ann

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Thank you for this discussion and the multitude of pictures. It has helped cement the notion that my NOID pink DA is NOT Anne Boleyn as originally thought, but probably Eglantyne. Now I think I need AB, as well. I love the notion of this as a standard.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Thank you ann for the update! I don’t know how I missed it but I did . Your photos are so beautiful. I think I will try it again’. Wish they had it as a tree form but I don’t see it ?!

How does it compare to jubilee celebration? That’s one I said I’d not try agin but now In a new climate I may.

I swore I was paring down my rose collection but winter is making me do crazy things ! Haha

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

DA does not appear to offer AB as a tree standard anymore. They also used to offer Tamora and Wildeve as standards but those aren’t available either. :((

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Jen - I have Jubilee Celebration but it hasn't grown much for me. I think this coming year will be year three and I'll see it take off.

I much prefer the variability in color from Anne but Jubilee Celebration might have slightly stronger fragrance.

I personally think you should give these roses another try in your new climate. I visited the public rose garden in Honolulu and I was very surprised that the roses were so much smaller and not nearly as healthy as I was used to in California. Climate makes a huge difference!

Ann