Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_johnson90

Goden Pothos burn spots?

Jordan Johnson
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi! I am a college student that bought my golden pothos in August of last year when I was in school in Massachusetts. I brought my plant home to Maryland this summer and put it on a kitchen table with adequate sunlight but not direct sunlight. HOWEVER, my pothos leaves have been yellowing with large brown/burn spots in the middle!!

PLEASE help me figure out the problem before I go back to school!!!! I don't know why this is happening and I am watering it every 1-2 weeks. I also recently repotted it, but the leaves were having this issue before the repotting.

Comments (9)

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

Agree -- inadequate soil/drainage is the likely culprit, if it isn't overwatering. Sometimes these plants respond this way to moving them and a change in lighting. You might Google your plant's "symptoms" for how to best treat.

Jordan Johnson thanked IdaClaire
  • Jordan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hi! @idaclaire and @tropicbreezent the plant was potted into a ceramic pot, with normal potting soil? I'm not sure what soil I used I just used the soil that was in my house for potted plants. I moved the plant away from the direct sunlight and cut off the bad spots and it seemed to doit, but they are reappearing in Massachusetts. I think it might be nutrient burn from non filtered water...?

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

Does the pot have good drainage holes? Does the soil drain relatively fast? Or does the soil stay very wet?

• Jordan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the pot has one drainage hole, the soil stays wet but not super wet, and i don't water too often

• Jordan Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I water maybe about 2-4oz every 2-3 weeks

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

These plants are epiphytes (or more correctly semi-epiphytes). Their roots grow down tree trunks to the soil but they stay near the surface usually within the leaf mulch. So there's usually a lot of air movement around the roots providing them with oxygen. When the soil they're in is heavy and poorly draining it becomes anaerobic (devoid of oxygen) and you end up with root rot. Ideally, as in nature, water should pass quickly around the root system as well as air. It would mean having the plant in a fast draining, porous potting mix and watering more frequently to make sure it doesn't dry right out. One of the results of only giving a little water is that you can get a build up of mineral salts in the soil which itself starts to become toxic to the plant. The key to successful growth is having the right soil, a fast draining soil. Once you sort that out your plant will be unstoppable.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looks remarkably like photo-oxidation (sunburn) to me, Jordan.

Al

• Sidney Faber
    3 years ago

id say that you might be putting it in direct sunlight which would cause the brown, crispy edges. Try and leave it in indirect light with a soil that has optimal drainage (perlite might help). Pothos are very resilient so if you neglect watering it for a week or so, give it some lukewarm-semi-cold water until the soil/water does not run Through the pot. You will know when it’s had enough water when the soil does not drizzle. Also, make sure that the soil dries before putting it back because it is prone to root rot.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus