Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahild61_418

Color for island in an open concept home

Connie Hildreth
5 years ago

I would like ideas for our kitchen island, which is centered in between the kitchen, great room and dining room of my open concept home. Walls are Edgecomb Gray and cabinetry is white, so I’d like a color in the blue/green/gray family that will anchor the room/provide a pop of color/interest. I am going for a natural, lake house kind of look and feel to the home. It will be an important color in the space so I want to set the right tone. I am drawn to Pratt and Lambert’s French Blue, but feel it may be a little too much green maybe? Someone suggested I should go grayer and darker, and suggested SW Tempe Star, but that feels too blah, not enough color. Insights from others with a good sense for this and who do this more often than I do, will be much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

What are your plans for furnishings in the great room and dining room? Do you have furniture, rugs etc. from your current house that you'll be moving, and if so, what are the colors? If not, do you already have ideas/plans for what to buy? I ask because if it were my house I would want to co-ordinate.

Connie Hildreth thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • PRO
    dezign interiors, llc
    5 years ago

I'm assuming that the cabinets are custom if your color choice is vast. That's good because you may want to change the color in the future. I'm only half joking.

If this is your primary home, and you're never going to do your kitchen again, stick with something that will stand the test of time. If you're looking for something trendy in your new kitchen, put that on the walls, window treatments, or hardware - things that can easily be updated. I have ripped out many "trendy" Pickled Oak cabinets and a lot of recent glass backsplashes that already look dated. There is nothing wrong with also doing the island in white as well. Maybe you could change the door style or add some fabric-covered stools in a fun fabric in a blue that you love!

My approach is a second/vacation home is different than a primary home. I assume this is not the case.

Good luck!

Connie Hildreth thanked dezign interiors, llc
  • cpaul1
    5 years ago

I'm not a fan of random colored islands. I think it's a passing trend that will be on it's way out before you even do it. I think it's great to have two different colors of cabinetry in a kitchen, and the island is the perfect place for a different color, but stick with the neutral colors is my advice and get a little more longevity out of your money.

Connie Hildreth thanked cpaul1
  • Connie Hildreth
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your advise, it’s all very sound, and appreciated! I’ll take a look at that F&B color, and I also took a second look at the Tempe Star in the setting and realized that the suggestion had come from the reasoning that you just expressed, cpaul1. I can completely see the logic in keeping it more neutral with potential for longevity when dealing with cabinetry.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

A medium to dark blue could work; avoid a satin finish -- choose a muted blue..