Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

IKEA Pax for pantry?

Kristin S
5 years ago

Has anyone used the IKEA Pax wardrobe system for a pantry? I really like the ability to combine shelves and pull-out drawers, but I'm worried about how it will do with the weight of heavier pantry ideas (canned goods, broth, flour, etc.).

Comments (9)

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Yes, I put one in my small condo kitchen and it was perfect as a pantry. Dishes, casseroles, and all pantry items were stored in it. I did sliding doors and it really worked great because of its narrow depth. It was secured to the wall so was quite strong. It was as a nice selling addition when I put it on the market.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Incidentally, just in case you weren't aware--you can configure the sektion pantries in many different ways. Ikea only offers a few suggestions on their website, if that's of any interest. A lot of people see what's listed and think that's it. It's not 10% of what you can do.

• Nadya
    5 years ago

I love PAX and have used them in my condo as well as the larger house because of their awesome flexibility. My concern, though, would be structural integrity - dishes, cans, dry goods etc. are all much heavier than clothes, and PAX is clearly designed to store clothes, not heavy kitchen things. IKEA kitchen drawers just seem a lot more substantial. I say this without any actual experience of storing heavy items in PAX.

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

From my personal experience with 4 Ikea kitchens and having a large Pax unit as a pantry for 12 years, there was no structural difference. It housed ALL of the kitchen items. It was in perfect condition when the condo sold.

The Pax I chose had no drawers, just two large sliding doors with shelves.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

When I asked about pax for my office (I store very heavy paper by the case) a few years ago, ikea told me 75 lb per shelf for pax, if that helps.

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, all. I'll likely look at Pax and Sektion both, and compare that to the cost of having my kitchen cabinet maker do it. This is for a walk-in pantry, which is why I think I initially went straight to Pax with no doors, as it's what we're doing for our walk-in closets.

If we did Pax we would likely do drawers, and likely stick to the narrower options, rather than 40", to reduce the weight on any individual drawer.

• Janet
    5 years ago
    We have the Pax wardrobes which have held up through three countries, but are used as actual wardrobes. I do not think I would recommend them for pantry use, however. I do have a small walk in pantry and have these IKEA metal shelves and drawers, and love them.
  • Nicole
    5 years ago

We stacked 3 30" tall Sekiton wall cabinets (because we had a limited depth to work with) to create a pantry cabinet, with pull out drawers and shelves. We needed something 36" wide and the tall pantry cabinets didn't come that wide and we didn't want to have the pantry divided vertically if we used two cabinets side by side. The bottom 30" is two large drawers with the upper drawer having the drawer within a drawer thing. We did shelves on the rest with large doors because the depth is shallow, but could have put pull outs in there too.