Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennwegrzyn

Curb Appeal suggestions..

Jenn Wegrzyn
5 years ago
We recently pulled out a bush the size of some houses out of our front yard. Open to suggestions as to how to improve the curb appeal of our house. The paint above the brick was just done 2 years ago - chocolate, teal, and cream highlights. The brick is original to the house which was built in 1865.

Comments (24)

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    I would also extend the bed to line the driveway.
  • Ellen Frick
    5 years ago
    Take out all the bushes, and just start over. Your windows are the architectural features of the house, don’t cover them up. Add a cement birdbath between the two windows, and outline the new bed with a couple/three level of flagstone.
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

There is such a strong line across the front where the bricks are different. I wonder if there wasn't a front porch. Can you also post a picture from the right side to see the rest of the house?

• Ellen Frick
    5 years ago
    Also, add large house numbers - centered (up and down) on the left side of the window.
  • Jenn Wegrzyn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    On the right we have a vestibule we had constructed a few years ago - it has copper on the outside and has begun to patina. The doors to the vestibule are iron Spanish double doorsthat are ornate and curvy.

Our worry about power washing the brick is due to how old it is. I don’t want to have to remortar due to the potential expense (I’m thinking it might need to be done by hand..yuk)

Yes-Stump & bushes coming out. Grass is in horrible shape and I’m not against getting rid of most of it. We have~ $10k budget.
  • Phyllis Fox
    5 years ago
    Can you get your hands on a photograph of how this house looked originally? Looks like it could have had a wrap around porch, can’t tell.
  • Kay Stu
    5 years ago
    Was the house a duplex at one point with outside stairs to the second floor? Could explain the slanted outline on the right side.
    A wrap around porch would be lovely.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

replacing the skeleton with something approx. the same size (with leaves, when mature) would look about right to me. i think just having low plants would be less good.

love love love the house. your neighbor on the left must be delighted to have the giant bush gone.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would be very careful about how the bricks are cleaned power washing is not reccommended usually.That bush is not quite gone yet but using a trunk rotter will be safer than pulling it out.

A lot of people think that since they have a brick house, they are safe to pressure wash. Think again! Old brick and mortar are softer than the new stuff today and can be easily blasted away with high pressure water.

I’ve seen brick houses with the mortar almost completely blasted away by pressure washing. And the expense of repointing a brick house is probably 10 times what the pressure washer charged you to wash your house.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I am beginning to think that the lower portion was enclosed at some point. Wonder how the brick can be safely cleaned. A few online articles suggest dish detergent, water and a stiff brush. It sounds like a labor intensive operation, but I think if the brick were cleaned, the house would look so much better.

• Ellen Frick
    5 years ago
    Jenn, now seeing the side of the house, you could carry the flagstone around and pave that little area. Put a pretty statue there with some low growing flowers around the base. You would enjoy seeing this little jewel when you drive up, or look out the window.
    I would suggest a grey color flagstone, and natural cement color for the birdbath and statue.

Love your house, good luck!
  • ilovecomputers
    5 years ago

Following.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Foundation bed plantings were a lot different when this house was built than now. There would not have been shrubs right up against the house and nearly as tall as the window sills. After you remove the remaining hedges, have the brick cleaned over as much of the house as you want. It would be a good idea to get a professional landscape plan with planting at the right time of year for your climate.

A perennial border near the sidewalk instead of near the house is one option that would draw the eye away from the front windows. You can add sheer glass curtains (half height or full height) for privacy when the main curtains are open.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Lovely home.

Select an ornament tree for the left side and continue to trim the hedge until it reaches the top of the window sills.

After the brick is washed, I would consider stain it all the same color so that the complete home matches. NOT PAINT.........STAIN

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    5 years ago

Beautiful home!

To add to what others have mentioned about highlighting the front windows (which is arguably the focal point of the front layout), adding a few low-voltage, outdoor spotlights would extend the curb appeal and elegance of your house into the night time. When all the landscaping is said and done, it is enjoyable to be able to appreciate the beauty of your efforts during the night as well. The ambient lighting also provides security by acting as a deterrent to some would-be law-breakers.

With the advanced technologies and many different styles of fixtures offered today, you could certainly find a fixture which meets the style of your house while operating efficiently and safely.

Possible points of installation:

*(For the fixtures highlighting the window features, optics with narrow beam spreads should be used. While, the fixture on the sides should use optics with wider beam spreads for a wall-washing effect on the beautifully dated brick. Any lights bordering neighboring properties should make use of glare guards to prevent unwanted light from intruding into undesignated areas.)

*(With the addition of some minor landscaping on the left side, the fixture would remain incognito during the daytime and night-time.)

Hopefully this helped to provide some alternative insight.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

@Volt lighting: how would you recast your recommendations if dark skies are important to the owner and neighbors?

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    5 years ago

Excellent question @apple_pie_order!

Fortunately, many different options are available in today's market to meet the individual needs and desires of users. For those desiring to preserve the night sky, IDA (International Dark-Sky Association) approved fixtures are offered.

In the type of application which this post focuses on, some users have in fact employed down-lighting methods rather than direct up-lighting. By using wall/gutter mounted hardscape lights or downlights (both with accompanying glare guards), users can accomplish their lighting goals without upsetting the neighbors or disturbing certain migratory species (birds, sea turtles, etc.) Certainly another option that the OP can consider.

Thank you for the question!

• Jenn Wegrzyn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The comments are fantastic. Never knew you could stain brick - my brain just exploded!
    The lighting tips and recommendations on where to put the house #s are fantastic as well.
    I am surprised no one mentioned shutters or wrought iron under or over a part of the windows. So..maybe I’m way off. Was thinking of doing something similar to below. Shutters on outside edges of windows. Perhaps the same Blue that is in the peak. A wrought iron design about 1/3 of way up for security and aesthetics on bottom windows (I live in a city)window boxes underneath the top windows.
    I’m thinking a weepy tree (like a birch or cherry)that won’t grow higher than ~18ft..etc to flank the corners. Am I on the right track?
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

Most people here wouldn't recommend shutters on windows unless the could be functional. Your windows are too close together for them.

I think your house has a gothic vibe, Victorian era.

I'm not sure that iron work over the lower windows will look good. Are the frames in good shape so someone could not easily pry them open? But flower boxes would add interest.

Have you thought about added a front porch? Here is one I found that just has a shed roof and a decorative iron railing. You really don't need a railing because you're at grade, but it does give you that iron work you were looking for in a way.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

What a wonderful house. Please don't ruin it with shutters. And no scrolly ironwork stuff either. It will detract from rather than enhance the facade.

Look into CO2 blasting to clean the brick. https://www.coldjet.com/en/information/what-is-dry-ice-blasting.php

• Jenn Wegrzyn
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @houssaon I definitely do not like the idea of a porch. I prefer to hang out in our backyard which has been completely redone.
    We’ve been told by an Anthropological Archaeologist that our house is an Italianette. Here’s an example..and it also has a porch...
  • suedonim75
    5 years ago

Brick stain is always mentioned as if it's this super easy thing. It's not, it's extremely labor intensive and it doesn't look great on red brick. Every brick has to be individually stained unless you want your brick and mortar the same color. You also have to acid wash the brick before you stain. I'm pretty sure that is a really bad idea on 100+ yr old brick.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    5 years ago

You do not need to acid wash brick prior to staining. But staining all of THAT house would be tedious and time consuming as you would use a brush to stain each brick face. Dyebrick has a good website.

OP, I suggest doing a test area using a scrub brush, whatever soap is recommended for old brick, and a bucket of water.

Spend some time on this site, it will help you. Old House Guy