Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Help! Did I go to dark on the backsplash in an all white kitchen?

5 years ago

The back corner doesn't have the floating shelves yet. I'm not sure if it's to busy or to dark, maybe the contrast in colors overwhelms the room. Please any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Comments (49)

• indomom
    5 years ago

It won't be everybody's taste, but I think it's very graphic and eye-catching. The shelves will block some of the busyness, I think.

19661963 thanked indomom
  • loobab
    5 years ago

It's dramatic, not to worry.

And a whole lot better than if you had made the back splash subway tile white and then the whole thing would be white, and we'd all have to wear sunglasses.

If you want you can add some interest with stainless accessories like bowls (Nambe makes beautiful ones) or soften the look with baskets, or add some green with plants, flowers green-tipped spatulas, green dishtowels, a bowl of limes, a mat in front of the sink with green in it, or instead of green, you can have your accent color be red , or yellow.

19661963 thanked loobab
  • ljk1
    5 years ago

Very attractive kitchen. Great job

19661963 thanked ljk1
  • oldbat2be
    5 years ago

You did not go too dark. What a fun backplash! Are you planning UCL lighting? That will make the difference if you are.

19661963 thanked oldbat2be
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

It definitely commands focus!

19661963 thanked chloebud
  • loobab
    5 years ago

andrew121-

Are you missing a corner cabinet?

• Tessa Jackson
    5 years ago
    I agree with oldbat2be. All you need is the undermount cabinet lights to make the backsplash pop. Good choice!
  • User
    5 years ago

As my MIL said when she saw my raspberry accented painted bedroom: very theatrical.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow I wasn't expecting positive remarks. oldbat2be I will only have led lighting for the floating shelves, but the hood also has lighting which might help. I thought I needed something special since the kitchen is all white, but the small sample sheet I brought home looked a lot different on it's own. I'm loosing sleep thinking it needs to be replaced which would cost a lot. loobab, you have awesome ideas that I didn't envision and gives options to replacement.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Original Author
    5 years ago

The corner will have 3 floating shelves an inch and a half tall each. Do you think this could help?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would not have used open shelves that close to the cook top probably glass door cabinet. I love the backsplash though.

19661963 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • judymn
    5 years ago

ooooooo.....so pretty!

19661963 thanked judymn
  • suser123
    5 years ago

Think it looks great. Please post a picture when you are all done.

19661963 thanked suser123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe LED UC lights can still be added. I will have to ask my cabinet designer. great idea!

• Joanna Cucchi
    5 years ago

It makes me smile. I love it.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Oooh, or aqua accents! That would be nice. While I might not have picked that backsplash out myself, I think it kinda works.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I think it's smashing!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• torreykm
    5 years ago

Looks like a fun kitchen! Like grover's punch of red too.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I love it. I'd like to suggest something over the window but I don't know what to suggest except a
    matching wood valance.

• girlwithponytail
    5 years ago
    I think once it’s complete and you use some accent color, you will not feel that way. It’s a beautiful backsplash!
  • cat_mom
    5 years ago

It looks very high style!

• Suru
    5 years ago

Looks great already and once you add a little bit of color, it will look fantastic.

• judymn
    5 years ago

Cant get this beauty off my mind. I keep looking at your pic. All these white kitchen cabinets with subway tile or marble that make me go, meh. But, yours!, just wow! Great choice!

• User
    5 years ago

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! (I love drama ;-))

• localeater
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Grover, Where’s the dog?

i think the backsplash is fun, and you should embrace it. I think the corner Looks a little dark right now but the shelves you’ve described and items placed on them will alleviate that. Looks great!

beverly has a good point about over the window being bare, I might like a simple cornice board there mimicking your crown. Of course my kitchen has same simple crown, same no molding windows and that’s what I did, so I am probably biased. Lol.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

19661963 thanked njmomma
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

One of the most attractive white kitchens I have seen on here in a very long time. It shows some fun and some imagination, and sets your kitchen apart from all the others. A few bright colored accents, in turquoise, lime, orange, etc would look great in there. Congratulations to a job well done.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I do have planned a simple cornice for over the window to follow the line of adjacent family room. Just not sure of color,

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    5 years ago

I love it! So many are just a sea of gray and white. This really pops! Plus, once you have "stuff" on the counter tops, it will distract a bit from the backsplash.

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

I think I should change my backsplash....... :)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Finally something that isn't a white kitchen with a white backsplash! I LOVE it! It makes a statement in a very good way. Congrats on doing something a bit outside the box. Great choice.

• Eric
    5 years ago

I would add natural wood elements to the space to give it some warmth. The window cornice would look nice in a natural white oak or walnut.

• Carolyn K
    5 years ago

I really love the backsplash. And I agree with adding a pop of color with your appliances, accents, towels, etc. I would choose red!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

As above, I think some accents and lighting will dispel any doubts you have. I also think the white-on-white is over done but you've avoided the all-white hospital look and I think that's great.

• mvcanada
    5 years ago

I think it looks fantastic and you've made really lovely choices. The window just looks too short compared to the surrounding cabinets. Do you think you could put one of your floating shelves above the window as well?

Maybe I missed it, you mention the floating shelves are quite thick - did you advise what they are made of? Are they stone or wood? I saw an article the other day, someone had used marble windowsills as shelves, but you could also use reclaimed wood. I'm sure your counter fabricator could make shelves out of the same material as your counter, but make the sides look deeper. If you hung one over the window as well, it could be used as display for some pretty accessories. In my opinion, the wall clock you have there currently is not large enough to give the space some gravitas. So maybe a larger clock, or a shelf or a Roman blind that is hung well above the window but is designed to stay pulled up, that could help fill the space (find a lively material that suits you).

Have you considered painting your walls from the white they are now? If you chose a colour from the tiles, that would pull it all together. I love a green apple colour in a kitchen. That might or might not work here - you'd have to get some samples. But a grey from the tile would blend in well if a bright colour is too much for you.

I also think once you "move in" to the kitchen with some accessories and items on the counter it will all really come together beautifully. Have a look on sites like Williams Sonoma or even Wayfair for some colourful accessories. And please post pictures when you have it all complete.

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

Fun and pretty!! Thank goodness you didn't do white subway ... ;)

• lshack17
    5 years ago
    Love it!! Turquoise or aqua accents would be gorgeous! Congrats on a beautiful and unique space!
  • mainenell
    5 years ago
    I think when you get the corner shelves in it will be lovely.
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

It is wonderful! I am one of those that thinks you should not have an all dark or as is seen these days - all light kitchen. You need to give the eye something to settle on and I think contrast is good for that!

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

So unique and pretty. Would love to see photos when finished. :)

• modellie
    5 years ago

I like the darkish backsplash. The contrast is badly needed. It's the white floor that bothers me. Everything else just seems to float over it.

I love white kitchens, but this one, despite the lovely backsplash is all cold tones and way too white for me. A darker floor and, as somebody upthread suggested, pops of red, yellow orange would help.

Also, it's not the first white kitchen with a dark bs that I have seen in the kitchen forum recently. I've seen a kitchen pic that a commenter posted in a thread about Ikea cabinets. Can't find it right now. That kitchen had an almost black bs, I thought it was just beautiful.

• PRO
    Century Hardware
    5 years ago

Hey Andrew121,

I think your kitchen looks great! The only thing i would suggest is possibly switching out the cabinet pulls to hardware with a darker finish like a Matt Black or a Brushed Black Nickel so the dark color doesn't look to condensed into that one area. I would check out Century Hardware's Modern Geo and Metro collections. I think the shapes and colors in those collections would look striking in your kitchen! Best Wishes!

Metro Collection · More Info

Modern Geo · More Info

• loobab
    5 years ago

Hi andrew121-

I am not at all a fan of floating shelves in the kitchen.

I think they are dust catchers, and dust in a cooking area is not at all sanitary or hygienic.

Furthermore, they get to looking very cluttered very easily unless you have very little placed on them, and then what is the point, they really don't serve the purpose of storage, do they?

If you have tons and tons of storage on the wall we don't see, and really don't need any more storage, you can put a wall system if you like those, something along the lines of IKEA's system if you like it and would find it useful.

Otherwise, I would put in another closed cabinet.

Or you could put in a glass front one, but I am not fond of those either, because storage in those is limited for the same reason as on with shelving, they are too visible.

FINTORP comes in a stainless finish, KUNGSFORS has a decidedly modern edge. You can mix in some wood elements if you want to add a softer, natural element to your kitchen.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/ikea_kitchens/20677/

• loobab
    5 years ago

Oh, I am just noticing your red mixer. Do you leave it out? Do you want red to be your accent color? A few bits of red judiciously placed would be marvelous without giving anyone a headache.

Le Creuset makes all kinds of spatulas, scoops, etc with red silicone ends, and several in a crock with your other tools would look great.

A floor mat in front of the sink a modern swirl of black, gray, white and a touch of red with dish towels and place mats with the same colors would be great, too.

But not everything all the same pattern, that's too matchy-matchy.

Or if the red all over is too intense, you could still do green as your accent color, that is very calming, and you still get to keep your mixer:)

I do think the room need a live plant somewhere .Decide first what you want as your accent color and what you want to do in the corner.

If you are going to do a wall unit like IKEA's you can put a plant in there.

I wouldn't put a live plant on top of your cabinets, it will be too hard to water, and you run the risk of water damage, too.

I was initially thinking of doing some sort of fabric valance on top of the window, but another thought was to have two big bushy hanging plants. They can be all green like swedish ivy or pothos, or have some color, such as coleus or tradescantia. The top of the pot should be at the top of the window or the top third of the pot should be at the top third of the pot should be above the window.

Depending on how high that is, you can either reach them to water them, or you can get a special mechanism that lowers them to water them.

I think should hang them low enough to be able to reach them, but not obstruct your view, and this way, you don't need a window treatment., and they bring life and color and oxygen to your room.

You should lower the clock then closer to the window approximately 6 inches over the window so it relates to it, the way you hang art over a piece of furniture, and the plants on either side.

You can purchase or make yourself sturdy but beautiful white macrame hangers, yes they are back. Keep in mind that you want the focus to be the plant, not the hanger.

If you don't want to do the hanging plant, then think about a large floor plant if you can, or something in the wall unit if you get one, or a plant for the counter, or even some lucky bamboo (mix straight and curly stems) in a cylindrical vase with pebbles in the base on the counter.

• jean1
    5 years ago
    I would put all white dishes on the future shelves, then add pops of your favorite color with a mixer, vase, solid kitchen towels, etc...
  • jean1
    5 years ago
    I would put all white dishes on the future shelves, then add pops of your favorite color with a mixer, vase, solid kitchen towels, etc...
  • Sue 430
    5 years ago

I think that your backsplash was a bold choice which looks great because your other choices were simple and subdued.