Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kattie89

Strange little outdoor space....

kattie89
5 years ago
We have this strange little nook/enclave/weird space off our master bedroom. There is a sliding door for the bedroom and also off the master bath water closet onto this semi enclosed, rounded patio. There is a pergola type roof over it, but it quickly fills up with leaves and debris. There is no view, you’re surrounded by the curved wall, yet open to the elements/bugs/lizards/etc....

What should we do with this space? It’s not pleasant to sit out there, it’s like sitting in a cave. I don’t think we would use an outdoor shower. It’s so weird!

Any thoughts?

Also, the view from our bed is straight out that slider. So we stare at the wall instead of trees, sky, etc. what can we do, short of tearing it off, to improve the view? I had palms out there last year, but they didn’t do well. :-/

Comments (34)

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

it quickly fills up with leaves and debris.

Could you cut a small hole in the bottom of the wall, which would allow you to sweep out the leaves and debris?

It’s not pleasant to sit out there, it’s like sitting in a cave.

I think it could be pleasant. I'd consider covering the wall with tile -- I'm thinking something with a Mexican influence -- then two nice comfortable chairs. Let the naked sunbathing begin!

How about a hot tub for two?

How about flowers -- even a small tree -- in a container garden?

I don’t think we would use an outdoor shower. It’s so weird!

That was going to be my suggestion! I'd totally use it.

• Kate
    5 years ago
    I like the hot tub idea. It would look nice cleaned up with some plants and furniture.
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So to clarify....I meant the space is weird, not outdoor showers in general. ;-)

Also off our master bedroom is a screened in lanai with a spa and a pool, so we don’t need anymore soaking/bathing space.

Love the tile idea! Hadn’t thought of that before! Would love some more ideas!
  • User
    5 years ago
    How about a hammock chair or outdoor chair with a fire pit
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    5 years ago

A fountain would provide you with both a nice visual plus the sound of water. Remove some of the pavers to allow for planting and it could be very charming.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago

What is on the other side?...cut a large glassless window?

• User
    5 years ago
    Glenview Fire Pit · More Info
  • User
    5 years ago
    Paris · More Info

There should already be a drain there. This area needs a power wash if you’re going to put a waterfall do a waterfall pond add some water lilies, bamboo, and tropical plants and you definitely need some lighting
  • Amy Arrington
    5 years ago
    It might be very calming to have a small water feature,which could attract birds and/or a planting wall for edibles or orchids. I love your little secret garden !
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Claire! Those photos are so pretty!

This space is pretty small, it can’t be bigger than 12x12, if that. Probably not room for fire. :-/
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Does anyone have photos of spaces like this transformed into a fairy garden/secret garden type space?
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

Lizards and probably snakes too would prompt me to tear it down. They can easily hide in the garden.......Good Luck.

• jslazart
    5 years ago

G Farmhouse · More Info

• Missy Bee
    5 years ago
    Simple thing to tear it out and build a real pergola.
  • Tessa Jackson
    5 years ago
    Here are two images I saved for project inspiration
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

San Francisco · More Info

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    I’m a plant guy, so I could see myself going nuts there. I’m imagining vines climbing the walls and tumbling down, ante some sort of seating—a bistro table or lounge chairs—in the middle of it all. I know you said plants didn’t work previously but I find there are ALWAYS plants, it’s just a matter of researching the right ones for the space (heat, light conditions).
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Small outdoor room with a green wall in Kensington · More Info

• User
    5 years ago
    Before and After · More Info
  • larkspurproject
    5 years ago

There is so much potential for this space! It doesn't have to be wasted anymore. I like the materials used in Grover's San Fransisco pic. with an added fountain and small bistro set. Nice visual view and soothing water sounds. Leave the slider open at night for the sound and have coffee out there on your days off.....yes please!

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

So is the only access through your bedroom? Yeah, I wouldn't want to schlepp dirt and water through my bedroom for plants.

• lake lover
    5 years ago

Mexican tile on the wall with a wall fountain could be nice ttps://mymexicantiles.wordpress.com/2017/01/19/mexican-tiles-outside-walls/

Since you already have the stucco wall you could achieve this look with a fountain http://www.mexicantiles.com/media/images/talaveraTiles/30060-4.jpg

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Oh, man. I'd reconsider the outdoor shower. Here's a link to designer Lauren Liess' old garden/shower off her master bedroom. https://www.laurenliess.com/pure-style-home/our-bedroom-secret-garden-before-after

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

When you look out there, what would you like to see? A fountain? Plants? Decorative tiles on the wall? A quiet place to sit?

We can come up with 3 million ideas, but YOU will have to decide what you want. What will make your heart sing? What will make you think of that space and the time you can spend out there.

You can schlepp the dirt and plants OVER the wall !!!

• Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

No breezeI'm guessing. I would get rid of the curved wall and have a seating area. Nothing you do will stop the leaves or lack of a view/breeze except that. guess

• teamaltese
    5 years ago
    It’s called a "privacy garden", every home in my neighborhood has one. Ours is off the master bath. We put in a fountain, some plants, some wall decor, and a chair. Painted it peacock blue. Kept it simple, because it’s more visual than useful.
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

If you remove the wall, you can see the sky and trees. If you leave it there, you'll have to solve the drainage and leaf problem.

• kattie89
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any thoughts on covering the stucco with bamboo fencing or wood plank to “warm it up” a bit? Would that be an issue for moisture/rot?

Our slider doesn’t have a track for a screen, so we can’t even keep the door open. So the space is really just for a visual. Too many snakes and lizards and mosquitoes in florida!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think you could create an outdoor lounge.

See C&B for circular outdoor sectionals.

Add uplighting to highlight the curved wall and potted plants to the area.

Use the reverse action on a leaf blower to suck up debris and deposit in attached bag for clean up.

• User
    5 years ago
    What is behind the wall? My first thought is to take it down completely. If you want to keep it, how about making it shorter?
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

make it something to look at even if not a place to sit in. and its a great private light well.

but i guess one is either a secret garden sort of person or not. those that arent cant imagine the attraction, those that are are salivating all over their keyboards.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I see two choices here. If there is a view outside that wall, I'd tear it down, clean up or replace the patio floor, and add a chair or two to enjoy morning coffee and evening wine when the breezes are pleasant.

If the wall provides needed privacy, I would turn it into a space for viewing only. I can't imagine it's pleasant to sit out there with no air movement, and you already have a lanai. A fountain and plants--visit the horticulturist at the best nursery in town to see what will grow there--with some dramatic up-lighting at night would provide a serene accent to the room.

• ptreckel
    5 years ago
    Google Charleston Courtyard Gardens. You will find lots of wonderful ideas. I could see a fabulous piece of modern sculpture on a plinth with up lighting for night time viewing. Or a beautiful fountain. The wall behind could have a wire trellis with creeping fig or some other vine. The brick flooring could be cleaned by power washing. You have a fun space here to work with! What a wonderful focal point you can create!