Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex102938

please help me accessorize better

Little Bird
5 years ago
We’ve gotten furniture over the years, kind of one room at a time. Whatever we liked at that moment, not really thinking about the house as a whole or any cohesive style. I would appreciate any advice on which items need updating, and what you would suggest instead.

Maybe start with the blue circled areas (I don’t know if the wide panoramic will post properly)? The entryway with the bench, flowers and too-small wall art? And the white clock in the dining room just seems “wrong”there. I’m also including photos of the family room (with all the lanterns), and the kitchen because you can see from entry hallway. Thank you!

Comments (7)

• lupins4
    5 years ago

Nice house!

Two things I noticed:

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I might try that bench and table on an angle in the corner.

You have too many vases with branches (probably 2 too many ) Try some live plants instead.

• yamcc
    5 years ago

Hi There! Decorating is one of my favorite things! May I suggest a few changes to the living room in your beautiful home? Because you have high ceilings, something tall on the mantle like an old peeling, paneled window frame will draw the eye upward (place it a-symmetrically behind a couple of your lovely lanterns). Vignettes are best done in groupings of 3. Let the gorgeous stonework of your fireplace be seen and make a statement of it's own. Sometimes "less is more". If it won't block a TV view, move the large pot of sticks with a couple lanterns to the coffee table to help balance the weight of accessories in the room (actually, the small items currently on the table are too tiny). Moving that white lrg. pot will disperse your white color a bit too. It's not imperative that all pots or lanterns stay gathered together in the room. Now put the biggest lantern where the white pots were on the hearth. You could place the other two small white pots by your bench in the foyer. Again to bring the eye up, I would suggest the big basket/container to the left of the fireplace be put on the left top of the bookcase (minus the sticks). Or if space permits, try that basket/container with the sticks on the floor at the end of the kitchen counter. If I find a mantle window frame on Houzz I'll post it. If you try these suggestions I would love to see pics. Most of all, enjoy playing around with your specially chosen accent decor.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok, I got rid of all those sticks and put some live orchids on the mantle - is that too much going on?
  • yamcc
    5 years ago

Back again,but company is arriving soon.

Yes, I agree the orchids are not quite doing what is needed. Marian sent some wonderful groupings pics for the center table. Other suggestions below.

Although, you have some nice accent pieces I feel the room is weighted too heavily on the fireplace side and the mantle would be more attractive with something tall like the window frame earlier mentioned (still taking the eye upward); Two lanterns at one end and a tall narrow piece on the other. A sample would be to place one of your stairway art pieces on the mantle.

Now that I see 2 sofas forming an "L", not wanting to block the view of a cozy fire I wouldn't suggest anything too tall on the coffee table. Instead, try a couple of your medium size lanterns (one on top of a couple of books) on the coffee table. Personally, I like whispy sticks in a room and I enjoy the texture that metal lanterns brings to decor. Please try moving the heavy pottery grouping to the floor by the end of a sofa (sticks and all).

Oh, a round or hexagon coffee table may be better for that space.

Got to run for now.

• yamcc
    5 years ago

Sorry, just realized this your family gathering room. OOPS!

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for all your great ideas! I’ll adjust and report back. I’ll also snap a photo of the family room from farther back - you’re right that something may need to be done by the sofas. Right now the back looks kind of plain.

Re: art on the mantle and the coffee table decor - I love your examples. I wish I could just pluck those right off the screen and set them in my own house!