Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodiedirksen

Cleaning and staining exterior cedar siding

Jodie
5 years ago

We have cleaned it yearly and then restained our 30 year old cedar sided home every 3-4 years. It has been getting progressively more blackish moldy/mildew looking by the end of each summer. We have used a homemade liquid bleach/dish soap solution for cleaning by hand with a brush and then applied an oil base stain when needed as mentioned. The ready made cleaners we have tried do not seem to clean much. Should we do something different to decrease the amount of mold/mildew we are getting? The cedar is in good condition and we don't want new siding. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (4)

• Jodie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am responding to my own question. I searched and searched and found the best recipe to clean our oil base stained cedar wood exterior! The black discoloration literally "ran off" when sprayed with a simple garden sprayer and the following mixture: 1 gal water ( I used warm softened water from inside home), 4 C Clorox outdoor bleach, 1/4 C Dawn liquid dish soap. Am feeling guilty for all the times my husband scrubbed this house! After spraying with the garden sprayer, let it sit about 10 min and rinse off with hose. It looks like new siding! The company that makes our shingles also recommended something similar to clean our roof so we knew the shingles would not be "bleached".

• 4arnottp
    3 years ago

Bump- I have a cedar sauna which was installed 3 years ago. We waited a year to let the oils settle out, washed with TSP and lightly sanded and then applied Thompson’s water seal in clear cedar. Big Mistake! The colour is pink, like a 1970s fence. Within one year, there is massive flaking and green mildew in the joints in the areas in the sun. I am sanding the flaking off where I can. In the places that were protected from light (ie the back), the stuff looks fine. I will try Jennie’s recipe above to try to get the pink out. Question: I think that I need to put a protective stain on it but hesitate to reapply the same product. Anyone have any ideas?

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    3 years ago

thompsons is the worst. use a better stain sikkens, Armstrong Clark, ready seal is good if you dont want much color use ship and shore from dalys or there teak oil

• 4arnottp
    3 years ago

Thanks! I have used Sikkens in the past on other things so will go that route. I am intrigued by the teak oil too but hadn't thought that it could be used outside.