Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorvettemom

Where to buy........Frameless Exterior Glass Sliding Doors

Laura P
5 years ago

Looking to have "frameless glass sliding doors" like the below picture, installed on a covered porch for a new construction home. I want un-obstructed views and the option to close the porch off during snow and rain. Has anyone had anything like this installed? Where did you puchase from...were they terribly expensive.....are they DIY? I'm having a hard time finding something like this. I would imagine its just tempered glass (kinda like frameless shower doors are).....any advise will be helpful.

thanks!!!

Colorado Outdoor Living Room · More Info

Comments (15)

• Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is a covered deck....from the HGTV show "Megadecks" (Colorado Custom Decks/Mosaic Outdoor Living).....they design the most AMAZING out door covered decks. They each have these frameless wind wall systems which I would also love to incorporate.......

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Orientation (solar gain) and climate zone (temperature shifts) are very important to consider with such large amounts of glazing.

And a mega budget is essential.

These are not DIY items.

Laura P thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was even thinking of maybe "tempered glass barn doors" .....Just wanting to shield out the rain and snow....this will not be an insulated space, just a covered porch.......

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"........Just wanting to shield out the rain and snow....this will not be an insulated space...."

Have you considered very large roof or trellis/arbor overhangs and leaving the sides open? A lot easier on the budget...a lot less maintenance...and you never have to worry about damage or cracks in the glazing!

Laura P thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Trying to create an "outdoor living room" or a 4 seasons room (will not have HVAC) but will have either a fireplace or a gas fire pit, maybe a ceiling heater or 2.....I like the idea of the large overhang, but would still love a way to enclose it without obstructing the views......I want to be able to use the porch while its snowing.....I cannot find anything besides "frameless glass" wall panels/doors......again thank you!

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    5 years ago
    commercial glazing...
    Laura P thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • rockybird
    5 years ago

Just be sure to add stickers or landscaping to stop the birds from hitting the glass and dying. It’s really sad to see a dead bird, especially during baby bird season, when you wonder if the babies are slowly starving to death Now that the parent is dead.

Laura P thanked rockybird
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, have seen that before, very sad.......My thought is to only keep the Glass Doors closed during heavy rain or winter.....so hopefully that won't be an issue !

• just_janni
    5 years ago

Friends were on mega decks. Their DECK BUILD was $650K. Depending on where you are - you may need glass to be hurricane rated. It's insanely expensive. And - does create a greenhouse effect (undesirable if you live in a warm climate)

Laura P thanked just_janni
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes !!! I agree, Insanely Expensive is an understatement. Would love to get that open, outdoor, un-obstructed view here in St Louis.....but may not be an option (unless I win the lottery!)......just hoping to get some alternative ideas or options on how to possibly get this look....but thank you!

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

Look into folding glass doors. They do have frames though, so they can seal to each other.

Framless would have a small gap between the glass panels, enough to let driving rain and whistling wind through.

Laura P thanked ulisdone
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good point

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    5 years ago

DIY?? I just saw that. Not even close.

Just had a home full of Fleetwoods installed, 6 sliders up to 26'x9'. It took 4 glaziers about a week to install the sliders, 2 about another week to install the windows.

More importantly, it takes 4 strong bodies to move a single panel using power suction grips. Weight will depend on the size and thickness of the glass of course.

Frameless glass doors like you see in the photo or in a frameless shower must be installed with precision and anchored solidly. If it moves or sags, you chip or break the glass and start over.

I was stunned when I received the installation portion of the quote, but fully understood after witnessing the effort.

Laura P thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • Laura P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the input!