Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuagawne

Sudden leaf drop on Begonia Maculata

Joshua G
5 years ago

Hello,

I've had a Begonia Maculata for the past year, and up until this week everything has been going great. It has nearly tripled in size since I bought it, and how I care for it hasn't changed. It has well draining soil, nice indirect light it seemed to be happy with, and I water when top soil gets dry. However over the last week it has dropped 75% of it's leaves. This was it a week ago:

However over the last week it has dropped close to 75% of its leaves, and I am unsure why. It happened very quickly and about halfway through I checked to roots to make sure there was no root rot, and all of the roots seemed totally healthy. The one possible clue I have been noticing is some of the leaves that are dropping (not all) start to brown right around the stem before they drop, although the whole leaf never browns.

Here it is today:

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. This is one of my favorite plants and I would hate to totally lose it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

It is a fussy begonia for sure. My own observation is it grows well in bright light, summer temps but seems to sit still in winter often regressing to death or close to it. This past winter I literally dribbled water into the pot to keep it a little moist and it did so much better than in past years.

Another note on another big polka dot cane is 'Flamingo Queen'. I have bought this one at least four times to no avail - it looks great when I get it and over time it dwindles away to nothing, including a big one I bought at the convention this year in New Orleans. One of the stems broke off (me or my dog) and I stuck the top into a big pot with old soil (Miracle Gro). The pot it came in looked like great soil - peat based. The original plant looks like it is dead or close to it yet the one in the big pot has grown beyond my wildest expectations for a simple broken top. Is it the size of the pot or the potting mix? I'm inclined to think it is the potting soil.

My old maculata grew great the first year after moving it into a big pot with other begonias.

I had to move all the begonias to smaller pots for winter and I lost the glossy green one at the bottom (Mrs. Hashimoto) and the maculata took a big hit as well. Maybe a bigger pot is the answer after all? This was 9 years ago.

This past winter it looked like this in a much smaller pot.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Hc mcdole, that is one heck of a stunning begonia! I love the others also, especially the white flowered one directly below it, nice !!

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks FrozeBudd. The one hanging at the bottom (green leaves and white flowers) is Mrs. Hashimoto (which I lost after a year or two).

Here it is sitting on top after I turned the pot 180

Edit

Weill, the last photo didn't come through - GRRR!

Guess if the photo is kind of greyed out means it hasn't fully uploaded.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

'Mrs. Hashimoto; is really such a subtle beauty, thank you for showing!! I'm sorry that the plant had perished, was it somewhat sensitive to grow?

• Danielle N
    5 years ago

Hc Mcdole, you collection is enviable. Thank you for sharing.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 years ago

Wow, yes, your collection is certainly outstanding and one to be envious of !! I've always been especially interested in the cane types and many had been offered by specialty Canadian nurseries in years gone by. Though, unfortunately, ever so many places have now gone out of business.

I'm loving your 'Looking Glass', 'NOID', Dimitri' and 'Cracked Ice' and that's fine looking shelving you've made. I hope you're able to spend plenty of time among your beauties to enjoy them!

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Thanks FrozeBudd. It is a big job moving everything outside for summer and back indoors for winter. My basement runneth over as I try to organize them into their cubby holes just to keep them alive. I still have about 20 extra large pots to move indoors before Monday (our first freeze). The plants get bigger, new plants come in faster than old ones check out, propagation makes things worse as space is limited, and I am another year older. UGH!

This is from last December

Confetti on left, Hugh McLaughlin on right. Not sure what is in the back.

Amelia blooming, Cowardly Lion (striped rhizo), and it looks like Big Mac (glossy green)

Helen Teupel (purple with silver edges) and some unknown silver curl.

Flirty Girl (a seedling from Ozzie Johnson who is a member of our begonia club)

Jack Black with a cluster of blooms

My Special Angel (polka dot cane), Taconite (large dark green leaves), and U450 or U540 (seems like the tag was mislabeled) is the silver leaf with dark veins.

rexes from Walmart or Lowe's (Exotic Angel nursery)

Proud Mary

various begonias I propagated for fun.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago

Never tire of seeing your plants, hc. I need to try that dribble water technique on my rex. Thanks.

tj

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

I started "dribbling" water last winter since the recommendation of a thorough watering after the first inch or two of the soil felt dry was not working out that great (I don't like sticking my finger into hundreds of pots anyway). To my amazement, everything seemed to do much better than previous years including rexes and some finicky canes. If we went away for a week, then I would water everything thoroughly and hope for the best.

Feb 19, 2018

This 12" clay pot of 3 different rexes amazed me the most.

Sylvan Triumph

Sophie Cecile

Velvet of the Night

• Greta Schneider
    3 years ago

This is exactly what is happening to my begonia maculata! Same plant, same weird browning around the stem. He drops one or two leaves (new usually) after every watering!!! I don't know what to do!

• Cas Li
    3 years ago

is.this a wightii?

• Michelle peterson
    3 years ago

Yes it is!

• hc mcdole
    3 years ago

Cas Li,

That is not maculata. The leaf edge is too erose - they should be smooth.

maculata looks like this:

Here is East Gate as an example of leaf edges being toothed or wavy.