Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lidorandco50

Please Help me design my home office

Lidor
5 years ago
Hi. I’m decorating my home office and would really love your input/ideas. I bought the desk I love, so I am keeping it. It’s the Reynor desk by RH in espresso and walnut. This is the only thing I want to keep. I hate my rug. Should I buy a new area rug. Or no rug? As you can see I need to hide my files printers papers etc.. should I buy the matching shelf by RH or any others ideas ? I am messy so I need a closed shelving unit. Questions. What else should I do? Cabinet on one side. Console on other? Chairs? Art work ? I would like to keep my art up. But I’m open to moving it. This is the before pic. And hopefully with your help I will have a new after pic in 3 months ?? My budget is $5-7k. I share this ofc with my husband. The size is 15.8 ft by 16 ft. It’s also right next to my great room. So it’s very noticeable. I did order drapes. Sheer white that will puddle slightly. My style is contemporary/ transitional. Neutrals. Black gray white. Thanks so much.

Comments (12)

• Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also. Please help with sizing. If I do order an area rug what size should I order? I like when the rug doesn’t cover the whole room and the chair has to slide on wood floor. I mentioned the size of my room above.
  • schnable1
    5 years ago
    Does your husband have a desk? Where will it be?
    If you are messy consider a wood credenza to place behind the desk on the wall so you just have to turn your chair for access. Artwork over the credenza.
    An attractive lamp on the desk and pretty desk acessories.
    Rug - do you meet clients in your office so you need chair access on each side of the desk?
    Once you place your furniture, send pictures, measurements and sketch of layout for rug consult.
  • Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks @shnable1. We don’t need 2 desks. My husband is out on construction sites all day. We don’t meet a lot of clients in our office at all. But I like how my desk is situated now. I like it facing towards the door. I was thinking a cabinet on one side where my printers are. To hide all that. And shelving on the other side. Or console. However shelving is probably more useful. I just have to be careful not to let it get cluttered. Open shelving requires design too. I like shutting doors and not worrying about the mess inside. I was thinking a nice rug. Have no idea how large ? One of those utilitarian office chairs in black leather. 2 nice chairs or a chaise on the other side. And some standing lamps etc...
  • PRO
    Ames Peterson - International Architecture
    5 years ago

I think a rug would be very nice and brighten up the space well. In terms of rug sizing, so you want the rug to go just under your desk? Or take up more of the room? I'd pick a 9'x12' rug so your chair can be on the hardwood but your desk and chairs can be on the rug.

I really like your idea of having closed shelving - it looks very clean! If you wanted to get the matching shelf you could use it for all those family photos from the top of the cabinet.

I would also get some art to hang between the two doors! Maybe a gallery wall or one big piece.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    I would put a black closed-door console on the wall behind the desk/chair to hold the printer and anything you need to get to quickly. Hang a piece of art above it with room for the printer below on the console. All supplies like paper, ink, etcetera can go into baskets or bins behind the closed doors. If you are keeping the filing cabinet, I would put it on the wall opposite the desk, toward one corner. If you occasionally meet with clients, place two chairs in front of the desk, angled casually toward the desk chair. Place a third chair in either corner near the console. Add floor or table lighting if necessary. Your chair rolls, so it doesn't need to be on a rug. The client chairs could be set on an area rug, if desired. I would select a rug which is longer than the width of the desk and large enough to hold the three client chairs easily when necessary. If your work involves discussing building plans or other large documents, a table of the appropriate size could go on the wall where the file cabinet is. Add one or two potted plants for natural texture. More art on the walls is always a good idea.
  • Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for all your ideas. And esp rug size. I was confused about what size I should get. I def want to get rid of that ugly file cabinet. If I am hanging white drapes do I have to get a white rug? I don’t make ppl take their shoes off and I feel a white rug would get too dirty. I like all your suggestions and will put this plan into play. Thx so much.
  • Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ames Peterson. Thx for your size comment. That’s where I am most confused. The size of rug. Do you think 9 by 12 is too big ? I want it to be wider than my desk but I don’t want my chair to be on the rug. So it should fit end of desk to ??? I was thinking a size smaller than 9 by 12. My room is 15.6 by 16 (I think )
  • PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Here are a few home office ideas from designs of ours that might help you.

An Affordable Facelift · More Info

Wieuca Road · More Info

Wieuca Road · More Info

Wieuca Road · More Info

• PRO
    Derek Tarr Photography
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here are a few pieces of artwork for your consideration. I went ahead and did a quick rug removal too so someone else can more easily mock up a rug for you.

Birds

View of Waya Island

If I can assist with any further artwork recommendations please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Derek

• Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m far from done. But so far I have this. 2 chairs a rug. A piece of art. I ordered a buffet table that is coming. Then I was thinking about drapes. Bookcase. And 2 large trees and a lamp and accessories I figure it will be done by feb. this is the buffet piece I ordered. It will go on one side. If anyone can suggest a bookcase ? For the other side. I’ll put up a few pieces I like. So you can see my style.
  • Lidor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all your help. This is the stage I’m at. Still not finished. But getting there