Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_temple

master bathroom decor help

Angie Temple
5 years ago
What can I add to make this look more complete. Would like to make it look more spa like.

Comments (29)

• Imogen
    5 years ago

Nice bathroom! Add a large plant under the window?

• K R
    5 years ago
    A Roman shade and different rugs (darker color). A tubside table or a bench. Colorful fluffy towels.
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Gorgeous bathroom. I would definitely get a big plant for that room. I would get rid of the two rugs you have and replace them with something that ties in the dark vanity because right now the vanity is a bit lost in there.

Roman shades would be great too. Perhaps a dark wooden stool or table by the tub as well.

• Sandybean
    5 years ago
    Is that an outside window over the tub? If so, is there enough room on ledge to place small plants? Perhaps some hanging plants.
  • Angie Temple
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, everyone. The large window over the tub is the stand up shower. I added a few more pictures so you could see the entire space.

Based on feedback, i am going to look for darker rugs and a plant. Any other ideas?
  • MB S
    5 years ago
    Lovely bathroom, get a shelf, book case and / or small table(s) and stack or roll white towels, bathing supplies and candles.
  • Catherine Love
    5 years ago
    Frame or replace the mirrors.
  • Angie Temple
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What color would you use to frame the mirrors? Expresso to tie in the vanity? Or something else?
  • mimi0909
    5 years ago
    I would frame the mirrors in a silver finish.
  • mimi0909
    5 years ago
    Or these.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    Great space! I would suggest a framed decorative mirror, small table beside the bath, and lighting extras (candles) - perhaps dimmers worked into your lights?
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

www.mirrormate.com

Big fluffy white towels and I'd replace the current rugs with fluffy white rugs.

• MarleneM
    5 years ago
    Get a couple of matching decorative trays to put on each vanity, even everyday essentials look better when contained in a tray. Just add a couple of decorative items, candles etc to each too.
  • Wendy H
    5 years ago
    It’s a great start so far! Yes I agree that a large plant in the corner would help. I do find the tile border around that window bothersome. I think a white moulding would be much prettier. If you’re up for it, paint the vanity white too.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

You could put your hand soap, etc. into matching pump bottles.

Put them on a pretty decorative tray as suggested.

• Angie Temple
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, everyone! These are great ideas. I will look for items like your suggested. Framing the mirrors have been our to do list.
  • R M
    5 years ago
    I strongly agree with the last two posters. Everyday personal items should be in drawers or on lovely trays. Do get pretty pumps for the soap. Consider a wall hung train rack with spa blue and white towels.
  • R M
    5 years ago
    This is towel rack in my master bath.
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

First, I'd encourage you to rethink spa-like ... the concept is getting old, and I don't think "the bones" of your room are leaning this direction. Said bluntly, I don't think you're going to achieve "spa-like" in this room with accessories only.

Overall, your colors need some work. Your blue and gray appears in roughly equal proportions ... they're competing; one of them needs to be allowed to dominate, and with the tile already in place, I think it needs to be the gray. I think this is a place where the 60-30-10 color theory would work well.

Do not paint the vanity white. You have dark grout on your tile, and if you do away with the only dark item in the room, that grout is going to look oddly out of place.

You need something under the window ... a big plant in a wicker basket? A shiney table that could hold towels and plants?

And, as others have suggested, some small plants throughout the room. It's a big room and rather empty, so something organic will bring in some life. In addition to plants, wicker baskets will bring in an organic texture and some life.

The window itself looks "unfinished" ... this'd be a good place for a woven bamboo (or similar) roll-up shade. I'd go with a simple curtain too; overall, you need some fabrics for texture and warmth. The room at this point is cold. In fact, it needs "more" everywhere -- when people say "spa", they tend to mean lush, luxurious, extravagant -- and this room is more minimalist, even spartan.

I don't see any light around the tub. As a bathtub reader, I'd like to see a chandelier or fancy sconces near the tub ... but definitely some light. Fancy light.

You need some crown molding. If you're looking for a lux, upscale feel, you can't skip crown. While you're doing crown, I'd put a rope light above it ... it'd allow for a nice, soft night light.

A frame around the mirrors will make them look "finished". The frame should match the vanity.

While we're talking about frames, I don't like the tile frame around the window ... but I can't really say why. Perhaps a frame to match the mirror frames would be better? If your budget is big, how about a piece of stained glass (or no-color leaded glass) for the window over the tub? That'd give you a focal point in the bathroom.

The polka-dot bathmats have a juvenile look. You need deep, fluffy mats -- and don't skimp on the size. Probably in solid white.

Yes -- absolutely yes -- to some sort of small table by the tub ... and make it dark to match the vanity. You need to echo that dark color elsewhere in the room. Maybe a free-standing towel rack or a free-standing candle stand?

Get rid of the bright-stripes towel on the tub. And its friends who are hiding in the linen closet need to go too. They can be "downgraded" to the dog because they are a distraction here.

I don't care for the towel-on-hook by the shower. A hook is rustic and casual -- and that doesn't fit the look for which you're aiming.

Yes to pretty pumps for the countertop ... I wouldn't care about trays. And some candles and flowers. Yes to everyday items going into a drawer -- obviously you don't want to get rid of your everyday products, but their colors are distracting.

And you definitely need some artwork on the walls. I could see it going in one of two directions: 1) Frilly silver frames with Parisian-themed artwork ... or 2) Artwork with a simple, natural look -- simple flowers or just leaves.

I like RM's train rack -- like it very much -- but I don't see where it could fit into your room.

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Ummmm....I agree with Mrs. Pete about the color in your bathroom. The blue is really not working.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

In addition to everything Mrs. Pete said, the only thing I'd add is:

Paint the ceiling the same color as the walls.

Okay, maybe two things, lol. Turn the vanity's light fixture upside down, so that the lights point up.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    I’m a fan of framed mirrors! That sticks out to me
  • Sandybean
    5 years ago
    Excellent advise from Mrs Pete. In addition, I would suggest doing away with both of the little knobs you have for towel hanging. Place a bench outside of shower to lay the towel and then hang on rack after use. I would consider replacing the circle towel hangers near the sinks, they seem to take up a lot of space. Maybe put the knobs there instead, closer and lower to the sink so you would have room for some art on those walls.
    I'm not a fan of the big window above tub, would have much preferred a big piece of art there.
    One more little thing, remove the trash can! Place a trash can under the sinks out of sight. If you can't do that, than replace with one that goes with the room.
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Overall, I like the room. The shower itself looks enticing, as does that tub (and I don't use tubs! -- but I'd want to consider using yours!)

The suggestion for a plant is good.

It may be how colors display on monitors, but that blue looks like an old photograph washing out after years in the sun. Maybe a light teal? Or maybe it really is just the monitor!

The trash basket doesn't work, get something that matches your other things.

A hook on the back of one of the doors (preferably the one you enter from the master) for hanging a bathrobe.

I can see framing the mirror vanity. One thing that would be really pretty, but probably not findable, is more tile such as frames the window to the shower, but less wide, to take into account the smaller dimension of the mirror. Otherwise, I like suggestions for this from others here.

I really like your tile!

RM's towel shelf is good.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Angie-

Your bathroom has great bones and the potential to be your restful spa, it just needs some tweaking.

One of the things you see in luxe hotels and spas is unity of color.

I would suggest having all your towels and mats all one color, ideally white. Or if you want to have differnt coolr towels than your spouse, you can have white mats, and oe of you can have white or ecru towels, and the other a light taupe like the color in yout tile. Please buy the best quality you can afford. Towels last longer if you don't over-dry them and never use fabric softener on towels, and don't use Clorox bleach on them.

I would rethink your wall color, it doesn't do much for your accent tile or floor tile.

I would not paint the vanity, the wood is lovely.

Changing the wall color will take care of your color problems.

I would frame your mirror. You can buy inexpensive framing that you just stick on, or you can do something more expensive with the type of accent tile you used aroud the window to your shower.

And speaking of a more upscale look, an over the mirror light is not the best idea. It cast unattractive shadows.

Sconces on either side of the mirror look much, much better and make you look better, too.

You can decant think like your lotions, soaps shampoos into plain matching dispensers that don't have logos on them. These can be ordered online. Or you can buy any product at the dollar store whose dispenser you like and just dump the product and keep the dispenser. Label adhesive comes off easily with a product called Goo Gone. You can print out your own labels if you want them from your label maker for the dispenser, or use a Sharpy marker with a nice stencil to label them if your calligraphy isn't up to snuff :)

Rather than accessories loose on your sink, gather them onto a tray. You can get inexpensive trays that match at places like Pier 1, World Market, even clear plastic ones at the dollar store.

A hook for a fluffy robe is great, but that's it for hooks.

I think you can use a small multi-shelf table/cart on wheels that can go next to the bathtub.

It can hold towels, candles, whatever lotions and potions you like to use in the bath, scrubbies, etc. It can be wheeled closer to the shower so you don't need that hook near the shower door for a towel.

(Another thought about that towel near the shower door. If your shower head is further in the shower, you might be able to put up a Command Hook on your tile just inside the shower door and just bring in a towel while in the shower.)

What kind multi-shelf table/cart on wheels you get and how large a one you want depends on exactly how much space you have and what you will want to put on it and what kind of look you want.

You can get a small art cart like Ikea's raskog, in white,

or keep your eyes peeled at re-sale shops and garage sales for vintage tea carts and if wood, paint them or re-finish then and give them a good polyurethane finish.

This one isn't wood.

I would not get several small plants, that just looks cluttered.

If you can get several stems of lucky bamboo in a simple vase, that looks nice,

And if you have room for a large floor plant like a kentia palm, that would look great , too.

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    5 years ago

I agree with Jan, that painting the vanity will make the biggest impact. I would suggest white/light gray etc.

Solid bath mats, in a light color. Adding a frame to the mirror or swapping it for a framed one will look nice too.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I do like the dark vanity, it helps set the room off properly. But you need accents that work with it, along with playing to the light of the rest of the room.

• Julie Anne
    5 years ago

Hi, I know this is a bit late, but I think that changing out your bathroom hardware could really make a big difference in your bathroom! https://bazarartandgifts.com has some really great options. And, most of their products are HANDMADE!!! They have cast iron toilet paper holder and towel holders(rings and racks). Also, I would recommend taking a look at their selection of switch plates. Changing out your current ones could definitely give your whole bathroom a more spa-like feel, like you mentioned you were looking for. :)