Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandykatsahnias

Help with choosing kitchen cabinet hardware size! Have to decide ASAP!

Sandy
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Comments (27)

• Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I want to use this hardware in satin nickel

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Nothing less than 5", I would say; I think I would do 5" pulls everywhere -- only exception is if those 2 larger drawers are over 30", then maybe look for a longer pull for those (although I have single 5" pulls on my 35" drawers, because my kitchen is small & I didn't want to clutter the space.)

Do you have a style of pull picked out?

Sandy thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

I've read that pulls should be 1/3 the length of the drawer. :-)

Sandy thanked One Devoted Dame
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I added a pic of the hardware. It wouldn't let me add it to the original. Too many pics I think.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I generally dislike knobs, but knobs might work better on the small doors on the hutch.

Sandy thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Knobs for the upper doors, pulls for lower drawers and either or for any full height tall cabinet.

Sandy thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, Would you also put knobs on the lower cabinet doors?

• Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BethH, Thanks for the pics! They are very helpful.

• chispa
    5 years ago

I think the really large pulls look better on sleeker more contemporary kitchen and not as good in more traditional kitchens.

I used knobs for uppers and lower cabinet doors.

6" pulls for most of my drawers, except for two stacks of 36" drawers where I used 8" pulls. I also used an 8" pull on my integrated DW, which is next to the 36" stacks. My pulls also have a design detail on either side, so they are a bit wider than the screw spacing.

• chispa
    5 years ago

You have a lot of details in your kitchen. You want the hardware to be like a nice pair of diamond studs that complement the outfit and not like a huge pair of dangly hoop earrings that become the center of attention.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

May I ask you which pull this is?

i had 7” centers in pulls in my old house which was a unusual size. Not a lot of choices. I replaced the hardware before selling the house and had few choices. The one I chose was very similar to this one. It didn’t particularly have a nice feel to it in the 7” center to center size. Very “skinny”. I just chose it because the 7” center fit. The 5” felt nicer.

just don’t want you to make the same mistake I did.

beautiful kitchen.

Sandy thanked ILoveRed
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ILoveRed, Thanks for the advice. It is from Top Knob and it is the Chareau reeded series. The item number is TK323BSN for the 5". I think it is TK324BSN for the 7". The knob is TK320BSN. I chose this narrower handle because some of the drawers fronts are skinny and I didn't want it to look out of proportion.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

Sandy..same one. I had originally had drop pulls from top knobs on my cabinets. Many had failed and were beating up my cabinets. Thus the replacement of the pulls before selling the house. I had no idea that 7” centers would have such a limited selection. My kd picked the originals anyway. Will try to find a pic of the kitchen with the 7” replacements.

Sandy thanked ILoveRed
  • ILoveRed
    5 years ago

Sandy..I couldn’t find a decent pic so I just cropped one with these pulls. I’ll take the pic down quickly. Notice the top drawer of the stack with these 7” pulls. Almost uncomfortable when you wrap your hand around it. You may not find this to be so at all. The knobs are very nice. Good luck with your decisions. Not easy :-)

Sandy thanked ILoveRed
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I saved the pic for reference! I do think I would prefer the 5 inch

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I put 5" pulls on all my cabinet doors and drawers. I used a single pull even on my 36" wide drawers, as a friend who is a cabinet maker advised me to do so. He said nearly no one grabs both pulls and pulling on only one that is on the side, can mess up your glides inside. After two years, I've had no problem at all.

As chispa said, I looked upon my pulls as simple, classic jewelry. I didn't want "bling".

Sandy thanked Anglophilia
  • Sandy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anglophilia, I am thinking that the 5" pulls on all doors and drawers is probably what I will do with the exception of the long drawers. I still may use something a little longer on those. I do think the small glass cabinet doors on the top stack are awfully small for a 5 inch pull and I am thinking they would be better with knobs. I am confused though, are you and chispa saying that the pulls and knobs I posted in the pic of are to much "bling"? Can you show me a pic of what you would suggest? Thanks

• Tenisha B.
    5 years ago
    Sandy, I bought the same pulls for my kitchen in the umbrio finish. They haven’t been put on yet so I don’t have any pics. I mixed sizes; 5” for my lower doors and short drawers, 7” for all my upper doors and 9” for longer drawers.
    Sandy thanked Tenisha B.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Sandy -- No, I don't think the pulls you showed are too much bling, but if you go too big on the pulls then they might start to resemble the big dangly hoop earrings!

Sandy thanked chispa
  • Robin Morris
    5 years ago

I just ordered mine... unfortunately the pulls I want don't have a ton of sizes. There are no sizes between 160mm ( 6.3") and 12" appliance pulls. We have some huge drawers, so we had to go with appliance pulls on them as the 160mm looked ridiculously small. We are doing the 160mm on all the medium size drawers and 96mm (3.75") pulls on all the cabinets and tiny drawers.

Btw, I bought one of each size pull and we (designer and I) took turns holding them up to determine which sizes worked best for each drawer.... I don't know how we could have figured it out otherwise.

• Kelly Frederick
    5 years ago

Can I ask what size your huge drawers are?

• Robin Morris
    5 years ago

Kelly Frederick, Sure! We used the 12" pulls on 3 drawer cabinets. They were ~35", ~36", ~41" drawers.

They were just installed, so here is a picture with the 35" cabinet:

• Kelly Frederick
    5 years ago

So pretty! Thank you so much:)

• km kane
    5 years ago
    Knobs for the doors, pulls for the drawers. Weathered nickel would look great with the Island color you chose.
  • Ashley Collinsworth
    4 years ago

@Robin Morris, curious did you use the Amerock westerly hardware? The style looks similar. I’m considering it in our kitchen. I did wonder what sizes to use for our 30 and 36 inch drawers and our cabinet handles and drawers. I was hoping all sizes will come out the same depth from cabinet?

• Robin Morris
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@backstroae Ours are Berenson Hearthstone. I just went and measured and the larger pulls do stick out a bit more than the smaller ones, but not by a lot. On our one 30" drawer we used a 160mm pull as the 12" looked too big.

But seriously... if you can buy one of each pull size and hold them up to each drawer, do so... we would have not bought the right sizes if we had just guessed.

Also, to anyone who reads this who may be considering Berenson brushed nickel hardware. It is fantastic and shows no smudges no matter how greasy my hands are... they look perfect still. We used cheaper pulls in the bathrooms and those show every fingerprint (as does Kohler's BN hardware so I guess it sort of matches).