Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy_halsey

I need a runner in my kitchen to protect wood floors? Any thoughts?

Wendy Halsey
5 years ago

I am putting wood putting wood floors in my kitchen and need some runner with plastic backs to protect floor. Could I use an indoor/outdoor rug?

Comments (14)

• Wendy Halsey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sorry for the putting wood twice

• Jennifer
    5 years ago

I'm making the same decision and discovered Ruggable. I want a washable rug for the kitchen. I'd like to see one in person so may venture out to see if a local chain has some to touch and feel.

Wendy Halsey thanked Jennifer
  • calidesign
    5 years ago

You can use whatever blends with your style, and use a padded protector between the rug and wood to make it non-slip. I've always used a good quality Persian rug, and just spot cleaned when necessary. You can use an indoor/outdoor rug but I would still use the protector underneath.

Wendy Halsey thanked calidesign
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Why put in a hardwood floor in the kitchen only to cover it up with carpet? Kind of defeats the reason for the floors. Why don't you just put in a floor that will hold up to kitchen use.

Wendy Halsey thanked functionthenlook
  • nurseswan
    5 years ago

I have used Flor carpet tiles as a kitchen runner with great success: they can be picked up and washed in the sink if large spills occur, and the backing has protected my wood floors from heavy object drops.

Wendy Halsey thanked nurseswan
  • Wendy Halsey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

interesting, thank you.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    You might consider gel mats such as GelPro. Very comfortable under foot, and completely cleanable. Just make sure you get one with a beveled edge, because the ones with more of a rim on the edge will curl over time.
  • Sue 430
    5 years ago

I don’t use anything on mine and have never had a problem. One less thing to trip on or clean! My wood floors have held up beautifully.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I find rugs in kitchens just a tripping hazard and BTW if you have animals the gel mats seem to attract all the hair and are not good on wood floors because they are plastic.

• chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

I'm not a fan of rugs in a kitchen because of the risk of tripping (I'm a person that trips over my own two feet). We do have one in front of the patio doors in the eat in area. However, over the years the wood underneath is a bit darker than the rest of the area that wasn't covered. Our kitchen/eat in area faces west, and even though we have protective lining on our windows and doors, we still get a lot of sun. So just a warning that over time the floor that the rug covers may be a different color than the rest of the room.

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

I agree with baileysr Gel mats are great they stay in place, are very kind to your feet so you can cook barefoot and are easy to clean, I would only use in front of the sink/range areas

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

The Ruggables look great. Thank you for the recommendation.

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    I have gel pro mats and they feel good, but do shift on tile. I know the poster is doing wood. I got one for in front of the range and can’t use it because it’s too high to open the warming drawer.