Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patriciack

Brick work. Am I being too picky??

Patricia
5 years ago

Having a new house built. This is the brick surround on the front porch. Look on the right side, toward the top. The corner brick pieces stick out further than the brick next to them. Am I being too picky to ask for those to be fixed?

Comments (16)

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

My parents built their house >35 years ago. During our visit a couple weeks ago, my dad described in great detail all of the things that bothered him about their fireplace that he let slide during the build. He's looked at those compromises daily for 35+ years. If something bothers you, don't let it slide or it might annoy you for decades to come.

Patricia thanked sheloveslayouts
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

Yes, that is an issue for a long time. Our brick layer did similar around the exterior base of the windows. Some he put 2 flush and one out just a bit, others, he left 2 flush, and pulled out one at an angle quite a bit. That said, I mentioned it to him one day.............. and no, he did not change it, but he did use my laid brick to put out his cigarette butts all around the rest of the house..when I was not in the vicinity. I see the cigarette burns every time I go in and out of my doors... There are craftsmen, and there are hired laborers. I would say you got the hired laborer.

The first time I saw him do that with the cigarette(he did not know /or care?)I should have just walked up and asked him to pack up HIS tools and leave the premises. BUT at that time there were just a few mason craftsmen in this area and the contractors kept them busy or told them they would keep them busy, but they were not to work for any one else(other individuals)if they wanted to keep their position . . .so, choose your battles, or just let it go and have it changed after it's all over with. . . .using perhaps another Craftsman.

IF he is employed by your contractor, you might bring that up before you make your final payment with the Contractor, and see if he can bring in someone to make it right? on his nickles worth of profit...You can loose a few, or you can loose even more. It's hard to win, even if you have the checkbook these days..If you have broached other issues with him, this uneven surface, could be your 'cigarrette brand' to remember them by??? It's heck.

Patricia thanked redsilver
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Below is a brick arch and if you look closely, you can see that the brick is narrowly trimmed on both sides as the brick touches the inside of the arch. The trimming allows the stones to curve around the arch. See how the mortar is evenly spaced ? This was done correctly.

Here is another example below, with an arch that is similar to your home. See how they handled the corner in the arch? Fairly nice look which mimics the wide look of the bigger stones below it. But if look closely, you can see that that someone got lazy and did not trim the bricks on both sides as the brick touches the inside of the arch. The failure to trim the stones to curve around the arch gives you tiny-winy mortar on the inside of the arch and big fat thick mortar joints on the outside of the arch. I could give this error a pass though since the stone is busy and with so much of it and the white trim, the eye is easily distracted.

I can't fully see the mortar lines in your arch, but they did blow it on the arch corners for sure. You don't have anything other than that arch stonework to catch your eye, so all the errors stick out like a sore thumb.

Patricia thanked User
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

WOW, that is something that definitely could be pointed out and should be made proper. A novice bricklayers' mistake? Hmmm, the brick she was referring too, is on the right vertical edge of the brick arch wall, from the top down to the center. Every other brick in that area is casting a shadow because it does not lie flush with all the other brick on the entire arch. It's about 10 bricks total.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

At least your stone and your brick share a common hue! I cannot believe the stone and brick combinations that are put on homes now. They are awful. No relationship whatsoever to each other and often the color and the scale is off too. I don't know who puts together some of those combinations? Yours is one combo that is near or at the top of what I have seen. Lovely.

• User
    5 years ago

Hmmm, the brick she was referring too, is on the right vertical edge of the brick arch wall, from the top down to the center.

Sorry, this is not just a 'one' brick problem.

Every other brick in that area is casting a shadow because it does not lie flush with all the other brick on the entire arch.

They aren't suppose to lie flush since they have varying depths.

Patricia thanked User
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Are you talking about these corner bricks, because these are what my eyes were first drawn to....

• User
    5 years ago

Well, there you go.

We have a two-for-one problem.

The brick work and the arch way.

My eye was drawn the the poorly done archway, not to the poorly done brickwork. But now that you pointed that out....OMG.

All that and its right in the smack middle of the house.

Patricia, you have to have both redone. It is so wrong.

Patricia thanked User
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all so much!! Okay, that does it - I will ask them to fix both the uneven bricks and do something with the arch corners. Just didn't want to be one of those overly picky people.

https://www.houzz.com/user/benjesbride - Yes, the part you outlined is the part to which I was referring. And I know I'd be just like your dad.

https://www.houzz.com/user/redsilver - Thank you so much for the compliments about the color/hue combo! It means a lot to me as it was quite an ordeal to chose them; my most laborious choosing task of the whole house. And what a jerk you had!

https://www.houzz.com/user/goluscombe - Thank you for the other example pictures. I was iffy on the archway but since so many of you were drawn to it first, I'll ask them to change that too.

So.....to call the builder first thing in the morning.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the whole trim is overkill and I never like stone and brick combined simple is always better and it would be nice to be able to actually see the front door. not just a dark hole.

Patricia thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Is the vent above the arch functional? It looks like it might just be decorative maybe?

• User
    5 years ago

Patricia- believe me, you are not being overly picky. You have a good eye and you found the problems.

Patricia thanked User
  • wsurrette
    5 years ago

Not a pro, but there also appears to be a horizontal row of bricks - 4 bricks - that seems not to be installed flush with the row below. Just above the vertical stack mentioned before. Just under the roof overhang.

Patricia thanked wsurrette
  • kay kin
    5 years ago

wow- not a professional job, on both areas. you will get lots of flack & excuses & pressure not to correct this. good luck! 'stick to your guns', have back up from other brick layers ( $$ for sure), but worth it.

Patricia thanked kay kin
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/wsurrette, Yup, I noticed those as well. I included that in email to the builder.

https://www.houzz.com/user/kak714 My builder is great. Just hope he can get his sub to do it.